Tamiya masking tape

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, philsandy said:

Have just bought some 6mm Tamiya masking tape to use a straight edge when applying coach lining (0.35m wide). How long would you recommend before removing the tape after the lining transfers have been applied?

I always get masking tape off after half an hour or so personally - you can then tidy up any little issues such as creep behind the tape, with a flattie soaked in thinners. I usually stick paper behind to minimise how much tape is actually in contact with the paint as well.

There is a risk of damaging the lining but I'm always more worried about the main paint finish.

Theres also an element of impatience in my case!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2020 at 11:36, Hal Nail said:

I always get masking tape off after half an hour or so personally - you can then tidy up any little issues such as creep behind the tape, with a flattie soaked in thinners. I usually stick paper behind to minimise how much tape is actually in contact with the paint as well.

There is a risk of damaging the lining but I'm always more worried about the main paint finish.

Theres also an element of impatience in my case!

Agreed, though I only learnt quite recently about the wisdom of removing tape as soon as possible after painting from Ian Rathbone's "Painting and Lining" book. Before, I'd assumed it was best to leave everything untouched until it had dried, but the reverse is true and dealing with under-tape creep is enough justification on its own for removing the tape asap.

Also a great tip about using paper as extension for the masking tape - it masks just as well, but without risk of damage:good:.

• RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2021 at 23:14, Hal Nail said:

I was feeling chuffed with my obvious genius until you reminded me where I probably read it :)There is nothing new....

Sorry - I didn't meant to rain on your parade! I meant it more in the sense of noting that you are in good company with that idea :).

• Like 1