Availability of Cobalt Digital IP

Neil P

• RMweb Gold

I bought six Cobalt Digital IP point motors on eBay back in October, and have been waiting since then to buy some more for the rest of my points. As far as I can see, they've been out of stock everywhere for the last 2 months at least. I'm starting to wonder whether I've made the wrong choice. Does anyone know why they've been out of stock for so long?

And can anyone suggest alternatives? I liked these as they seemed to have a reputation for being reliable, and don't need a separate decoder, frog juicer or CDU. I'm using Peco code 100 electrofrog points.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask.

• RMweb Premium

I have literally just come off the phone to DCC Concepts on another matter and they mentioned that their Cobalt point motors have either just arrived or are due within a matter of days - I can't be more precise as they weren't something that I was enquiring about so I wasn't paying too much attention to that part of our conversation. However, they do appear to have a lot of outstanding orders so you may still have a few days to wait.

Edited by Ray H
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I ordered some online through them in November, they rang me to tell me they were on back order, they did mention Feb (ish) as a gauge of when they expected them back in stock, so sounds like they’re even a little ahead of where they expected.

In the end I wanted to crack on so they offered me the analogue cobalts and AD1HP decoders for the same price, which I duly accepted, and fitted, very happy. Exactly the same functionality this way, so this could be your alternative.

Decent bunch of guys over at DCCconcepts to be fair, found them most helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, if any reached retailers back in February I missed them, and they are still out of stock.   The SS surface mounted mini-motors are also unavailable at major stockists too.

I have 28 iP Digital motors on my layout so far, I've been really happy with them (and a load of other DCC concepts items including Alpha Mimic and Alpha Control), but with the ongoing supply issues extending into the horizon now I'm being forced to think about alternatives.  

Shame really, a very innovative company that I have bought into big time, now being let down by the most basic issue of supply.  

On 14/08/2020 at 16:22, Chamby said:

Well, if any reached retailers back in February I missed them, and they are still out of stock.   The SS surface mounted mini-motors are also unavailable at major stockists too.

I have 28 iP Digital motors on my layout so far, I've been really happy with them (and a load of other DCC concepts items including Alpha Mimic and Alpha Control), but with the ongoing supply issues extending into the horizon now I'm being forced to think about alternatives.  

Shame really, a very innovative company that I have bought into big time, now being let down by the most basic issue of supply.  

There were issues last year, but now it's not necessarily a supply issue, but demand outstripping supply faster than we can make them!

We have had a very large number (into 5-figures) of Cobalt Digital IPs through our UK operations in the past few months.

All were allocated to back orders (retail and dealer)

The next batch due in a few weeks is also pre-sold, such has been the demand through lockdown.

We are taking orders for the batch after that.....

Have you placed an order with your local dealer or ourselves?

Other popular products are due back into stock soon.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team.

Edited by DCCconcepts
  • Informative/Useful 3