Heljan Spares

Captain Cuttle

3 hours ago, jf2682 said:

I have the Heljan OO Falcon, Lion, Class 47, and Hymek, and I haven't found the motors very good.  I have remotored Falcon with a Bachmann motor, and Lion with a large Sagami.  On analogue DC the Heljan motors generally do not start well, and draw a  lot of current when they are running, although they are powerful.  On stripping them down for fun I found they have straight wound rotors, unlike Hornby and other modern motors which are skew wound.

Hi,

That's very useful info, I will move it down my wish list. The only dead Heljan motor I've had access to was for a Class 16 and that didn't have the standard Heljan OO motor in it and I can't remember for sure if the instructions said it was straight wound.

Regards

Nick

3 hours ago, jf2682 said:

I have the Heljan OO Falcon, Lion, Class 47, and Hymek, and I haven't found the motors very good.  I have remotored Falcon with a Bachmann motor, and Lion with a large Sagami.  On analogue DC the Heljan motors generally do not start well, and draw a  lot of current when they are running, although they are powerful.  On stripping them down for fun I found they have straight wound rotors, unlike Hornby and other modern motors which are skew wound.

That's an interesting comment.

May I ask how you use the locos, namely are they worked reasonably hard on a good size layout, or rather are they used with more delicacy for shunting and slow running? The reason I ask is that I've been very pleased with my 30 or so Heljan locos used on analogue, which exhibit smooth running and lots of power running on my layout with gradients and longish trains. My only issue has been the often covered one of the odd gummed up gearbox due to over-greasing, solved by a simple clean out.

John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Administrators

From Heljan's Facebook page this morning:

Dear HELJAN Customer,

We are writing to inform you about a change to our UK spares and returns arrangements, which will come into effect from March 1st.

From that date, all enquiries regarding HELJAN spare parts and all UK returns of faulty models will be handled by Gaugemaster. To allow sufficient time for a smooth changeover, our UK spares and returns service is currently suspended. Please do not contact Howes Models in Oxford with any spares and returns requests as they no longer handle this side of our business.

As of March 1st, the contact information for all UK spares and returns enquiries is as follows:

Address: Heljan UK, Gaugemaster Controls Ltd, Gaugemaster House, Ford Road, Arundel, West Sussex, BN18 0BN, United Kingdom
E-mail: heljanuk@gaugemaster.com
Phone: +44 (0) 1903 884 321

As the service is currently suspended to allow the handover to take place, please do not contact Gaugemaster until March 1st as they will not be able to assist with any enquiries. However, as of that date, we will be able to offer a full service seven days a week, both by telephone during shop hours and 24 hours per day online at www.gaugemaster.com

Finally, we’d like to take this opportunity to put on record our thanks to all at Howes for their efforts over the last 20 years and wish them well for the future.

Your Team HELJAN + Gaugemaster

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 18:44, jf2682 said:

...My beef with the Heljan motors is the larger ones just don't start as well as the skew wound motors in Hornby engines, for instance...

I would characterise the difference as being noticeable below a scale 5 mph, comparing the large motor Heljan use in full body width models, with a Hornby motor such as in their 30/31 or a Mashima 1830 in a kit mechanism: using my acid test of a H&M Duette's 'vanilla' DC output. Not that well regulated, no assistance from feedback; first get the motor and mechanism performing as well as possible with a relatively crude power supply. Final check, a centre motor mechanism with the size of flywheels Heljan put on their 'big motor' should coast smoothly about four feet on straight and level track when the power is disconnected at full speed.

Every mechanism gets this workout before a  DCC decoder is installed. One of the joys of a good DCC decoder is that it will completely mask any motor differences if the rest of the mechanism is intrinsically smooth running, as revealed in the 'coast' check. Nothing more exotic or expensive required than a Lenz standard or Zimo MX600 family decoder for a 4mm mechanism. The combination of high frequency PWM and very 'stiff' current supply available at the motor terminals, delivers the desirable smooth creep in and out of motion, and smooth progression throughout the speed range. No way of telling what type of motor is inside from the way they run on DCC power, uniformly excellent.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Heljan spares now seem to be available on the Gaugemaster website: https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/catalog/category/view/s/Heljan-spares/id/834/

Sadly, they seem to have stopped selling complete sprues and instead are (somewhat meanly in my opinion) selling the individual parts that they have removed from the sprues. How this can make a spares service more manageable I shudder to think.

They are providing some exploded diagrams of the models so you can locate a part number for what you need with an elaborate stock coding system and a massive PDF list of all the parts.

So before, where I would have ordered a few sprues from Howes for the stock box for use as 'consumables' on scratch-building or detailing projects, now I don't think I'll bother. The Anycubic photon will have to substitute...

:(

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lyneux said:

Heljan spares now seem to be available on the Gaugemaster website: https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/catalog/category/view/s/Heljan-spares/id/834/

Sadly, they seem to have stopped selling complete sprues and instead are (somewhat meanly in my opinion) selling the individual parts that they have removed from the sprues. How this can make a spares service more manageable I shudder to think.

They are providing some exploded diagrams of the models so you can locate a part number for what you need with an elaborate stock coding system and a massive PDF list of all the parts.

Thought this was flagged a while back but there are two near identical threads running!

I've got some class 33 spares arriving tomorrow including air pipes i had to buy separately whereas you used to be able to get the whole set on the basis they were always breaking.

I asked if class 45 windows would become available and they said no plans at all to do a rerun of that loco at the moment, which is a pity.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, lyneux said:

So before, where I would have ordered a few sprues from Howes for the stock box for use as 'consumables' on scratch-building or detailing projects, now I don't think I'll bother. The Anycubic photon will have to substitute...

:(

Guy

Interesting .  The spares sheet does not list class 17. Its the only one missing I think , but they do have spares for Class 17, but as there is no description or parts list . How are you supposed to find it . All I want is a set of buffers.  

Edit . Just spoke to the very helpful guy on the phone and now ordered !

Edited by Legend

Just checked to see if any of the long out of stock Deltic detail spares are now available at Gaugemaster and they are not

Interesting that they do provide a link to a full Heljan spares diagram and price list which includes all of the items I require but all are unavailable

Body side Brake caliper/brackets plus chains 

Bogie Guard irons

Windscreen wipers

The Deltic was a recent re-release so Heljan would have had the above parts produced again so why no spares

Obviously Gaugemaster can only supply parts which Heljan make available

All these bits which if you actually use the model will  eventually fall off and mysteriously disappear into thin air..... at least mine did

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sun Chariot said:

Just checked to see if any of the long out of stock Deltic detail spares are now available at Gaugemaster and they are not

Interesting that they do provide a link to a full Heljan spares diagram and price list which includes all of the items I require but all are unavailable

Bogie Guard irons

Windscreen wipers

The Deltic was a recent re-release so Heljan would have had the above parts produced again so why no spares

All these bits which if you actually use the model will  eventually fall off and mysteriously disappear into thin air..... at least mine did

Have you spoken to them and they cant supply or just relying on the website info?

When I asked about the 45 parts, they did go and check and I think said they are still working through unloading pallets of spares.

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Have you spoken to them and they cant supply or just relying on the website info?

When I asked about the 45 parts, they did go and check and I think said they are still working through unloading pallets of spares.

No I have not spoken to Gaugemaster

Looking at the Parts and price list I am assuming that these lists of parts have been prepared and supplied by Heljan.  Therfore its Heljan that is stating the items are unavailable not Gaugemaster.

Im happy to be convinced otherwise

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Sun Chariot said:

No I have not spoken to Gaugemaster

Looking at the Parts and price list I am assuming that these lists of parts have been prepared and supplied by Heljan.  Therfore its Heljan that is stating the items are unavailable not Gaugemaster.

Im happy to be convinced otherwise

The fact so many parts for a new loco are missing does suggest it's info from the old run - perhaps just the bits recovered from Howes.

For the 7mm class 33 which has also just been re released, the diagram reflects the original design, not the revised one. 

I've ordered one of the bits they have changed so will be interesting if I get the old design or the new one.

On 25/03/2020 at 16:46, Sun Chariot said:

Bogie Guard irons

Windscreen wipers

Yes Heljan need to get much better with spares - it seems after they have got your £500 for an O guage loco they are not too bothered. There are so many spares that are just sold out with it seems no intention to reintroduce them (but they are still continuing to churn out the new locos).

I recently bought one of the latest Deltics (last one in stock of the blue ones) and when it came the top headboard bracket was missing. I contacted the supplier who said wait for spares at Guagemaster but I can't see such a spare part listed!! So I now have to scratch build one it seems. Not ideal unless an etched one is available somewhere?

I also personally don't like all this splitting up of spares which seems to have happened since Guagemaster took over. It just seems to cost the modeller more and more.

Edited by deltic17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil.prior said:

I have the class 17 but have lost/misplaced all the buffers/springs/retaining  clips

.Been on the Gaugemaster site been unable to see the class 17 listed  does any one know where I can obtain said required parts.

Phil I phoned Gaugemaster up because I noted there was no parts list for the 17 but they do have them in stock .  The guy there (option 5  on phone) was very helpful  and in fact I have just received these today . The buffers are marked on invoice as HN-OO_CL17-019 but there are also parts 27 and 28 .  . He wasn't exactly sure of the codes , so I'd give him a call just to check

3 hours ago, phil.prior said:

I have the class 17 but have lost/misplaced all the buffers/springs/retaining  clips

.Been on the Gaugemaster site been unable to see the class 17 listed  does any one know where I can obtain said required parts.

Use search feature at top of Gaugemaster website and type in HN-OO-CL17 will take you to all parts available for it although a lot are missing pictures and you will probably need the exploded diagram to identify the numbers you need

• Like 1

On 30/03/2020 at 16:20, sulzer71 said:

Use search feature at top of Gaugemaster website and type in HN-OO-CL17 will take you to all parts available for it although a lot are missing pictures and you will probably need the exploded diagram to identify the numbers you need

Thank you for this ,found class 17 spares on the Gaugemaster web site . Just got to find  the Heljan instructions in the organised mess of the man cave/Train room 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2020 at 22:06, phil.prior said:

Thank you for this ,found class 17 spares on the Gaugemaster web site . Just got to find  the Heljan instructions in the organised mess of the man cave/Train room 

I need a light guide for a Class 17 and none of mine have come with a spares list. No idea from the website which part it is. 

Have emailed Gaugemaster, but no reply as yet. 

Roy