East Midlands Gateway (EMG) Terminal in Castle Donington

KeithMacdonald

I think the new East Midlands Gateway got mentioned in passing in another topic (somewhere). But it struck me as a great minimalist modelling opportunity. Everything is new and still clean, and there's no natural landscape to bother us, just acres of smooth concrete. Even the weather is in our favour. No pesky background of roads, green fields, hedges, grass, etc. Just a nicely dreck weather scene, in shades of grey.

200110_news1.jpg

The picture is from DB Cargo Uk website.

https://uk.dbcargo.com/rail-uk-en/News_Media/news/DB-Cargo-UK-to-run-new-service-to-East-Midlands-Gateway-Terminal-4791646

The new 17-acre interchange is capable of handling up to sixteen 775metre-long freight trains daily. In addition, planning permission has also been granted for a vehicle maintenance unit, enabling Maritime to carry out container repairs and conversions as well as trailer servicing and minor vehicle repairs to its fleet. Refuelling and reefer points will also be installed on the terminal. Capable of storing up to 5,000 TEU, EMG is already occupied with tenants such as Amazon, Shop Direct, K&N and Nestle.

The mention of Castle Donington, and seeing the weather, it reminded me of the Donington Grand Prix 1991. I was there, standing in the rain - cold, wet, and miserable, and wondering WTF was happening. I was told later (by sensible folks that had stayed at home and watched it on TV) that it was one of Ayrton Senna's greatest drives.  Not that I could tell.

• Like 1