Taking a few moments during the last day of 2020 to update my various layout threads and take stock of where I am up to...

Woodhey Quay is still being thought about as a sort of macro-micro but will definitely be a simple trackplan with strong hints of Great Yarmouth's White Swan Yard and quayside!

Here's to some proper progress in 2021!

HOURS OF PLANNING FUN FOR 2021!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typos!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Not an update

Just wanted to copy a trackplan and a film of old photos* here for future reference, bearing in mind that this layout will (eventually) be a much more rural interpretation, inspired both by Great Yarmouth and Wells-Next-The-Sea.

* It seems that most old photos are copyrighted with Francis Frith, so can't/shouldn't be posted here. The above YouTube video provides plenty of inspirational views (just mute the volume whilst watching!)

Trackplan replaced…

IMG_4233.jpeg.41aa413e7a09565bf823f1c61be29b48.jpeg

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added YouTube link
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2021 at 22:05, SteveyDee68 said:

Not an update

Just wanted to copy a trackplan

IMG_0954.JPG

Now there's quite a plan! If I wasn't over committed with project I'd jump at a 3 sided 4ft x 2ft excuse for a layout... Where is the plan from? Can we see the text referred too? I'm eager and curious but I must remember this could only be a pipe dream...

Keep up the thinking! 

Ralf

On 07/03/2021 at 00:50, Ralf said:

Now there's quite a plan! If I wasn't over committed with project I'd jump at a 3 sided 4ft x 2ft excuse for a layout... Where is the plan from? Can we see the text referred too? I'm eager and curious but I must remember this could only be a pipe dream...

Keep up the thinking! 

Ralf

I think it was from an old Railway Modeller but to be honest I saw it on one of the many micro layout threads I follow on RMWeb a while back and saved the photo for future inspiration. I think there was some discussion about how tight the curve would have to be in order to fit into a two foot wide board, and also how the track might have to be handmade to fit.

It is an interesting plan that actually makes me think of the Bellfield Hall Light Railway (I think it was called) which was an On9 estate railway modelled on a circular baseboard divided into three scenes; the reason the plan makes me think of it was that it, too, had buildings which backed onto each other but were finished differently depending upon the scene they were viewed in, all separated by foliage and a large central tree. I feel some very clever structure design would be needed to make the buildings in the centre work from both sides! (And of course any effect would be lost if viewed from anything other than at eye level with the track!)

If I stumble across the thread I'll post a link to it here!

And here it is - Docks away! 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/152571-docks-away-or-making-a-virtue-out-of-a-necessity/

Steve S

No modelling time this weekend - been busy doing online NHS training to allow me to administer lateral flow tests in schools tomorrow (for one day only!!) - only a mere 9 certificates to gain after 9 modules of video instruction! (If anyone has done/seen them, perhaps they can tell me - how did the girl greeting patients introduce the guy without a mobile phone to the Receptionist as Roy, considering she never asked him and he never volunteered the information? Still pondering over that three hours later!!)

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added link to layout referencing plan
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I think it was from an old Railway Modeller .....

Steve S

This plan is that of Andrew Knights "Yarmouth Quay" layout.

It appeared (Railway Modeller, June 1988, p.275) as part of an article that had the sub-heading -

"A real 'minimum-space' railway designed for 4mm scale."

CP

Edited by cp409067
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This weekend I am determined to do some proper "modelling" and to that end I shall continue with a couple of locos that will look perfect on this future layout - a skirted diesel (almost an 04*) using a Dapol Drewery kit and a Bachmann Junior "not Thomas" chassis; and a Y6 0-4-0 tram engine built around a Dapol "Pug" mechanism (following the excellent example from Gibbo675 in his workbench thread) - 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140490-what-is-on-the-bench-was-previously-in-my-head/&tab=comments#comment-3403020

If my efforts turn out half as good as his, I'll be well chuffed (no pun intended) - and might even post photos here!

HOURS OF FUN!

* The wheels are slightly too big which means the footplate will have residual wheel arches - it was that or use the Bachmann Junior "Harry" diesel shunter, which looks as bulky as a Triang "Dock Authority" diesel against an actual class 04. The steam outline chassis proved much easier to "whittle down" the plastic to (hopefully) fit inside the Drewery bonnet!

• 4 months later...

Further to @NHY 581's post, I'm copying the Iain Rice trackplan he posted here so I don't lose it* as I think it might be the genesis of a plan for when I finally get around to building Woodhey Quay.

IMG_2062.JPG.702da1d7ec11da7f47a0554b7635ab5d.JPG

HOURS OF FUN INSPIRATION!

* The way Rob's thread grows, it'll be buried several hundred pages back by the time I put pencil to foamboard!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added plan
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hmmm…

I’ve made a “future proof” purchase of a pair of ex-LSWR gate stock coaches via the RMWeb classified adverts, and after receiving them yesterday have had chance to have a good look at them this afternoon. What a pair of beauties, and for a very reasonable price!

There were a couple of photos included in the box, too; pictures of these coaches being pulled by M7 locos. I wonder, though, if they were ever seen with an H class 0-4-4 loco as motive power? And just to demonstrate my total lack of knowledge of all things Southern, were these ever seen in the hands (paws?) of Terriers?

I noticed Rapido are continuing development of the E Class 0-6-0 locos (the ‘big Terriers’) so I suppose I could also ask if those were ever seen hauling these coaches?

Could it be that Woodhey Quay is shifting southwards of its originally imagined location? I snatched up the coaches because they (a) strike me as quirky (b) simply feel like they would be relegated to some sleepy backwater in BR days and (c) I noticed they have extra steps (I assume for lower than standard platforms) which again suggests quiet branch lines.

Having being reading the Modelling the Southern thread, the cluster of buildings above the loop in Iain’s plan above looks very much like the way the station buildings are grouped on the model on that thread. So a low platform for passengers with similar wooden station buildings etc seems to fit.

In which case, what of the tramway locos?

Well, that 4 foot by 2 foot plan based on the White Swan Yard does look appealing - maybe as a ‘maxi micro’ layout?

HOURS OF FUN!

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out that the gate stock was either powered by M7s or by O2s, not by Hs…

How fortunate I was able to acquire an O2 loco off eBay at a very reasonable price, not a bargain bargain, but certainly less than the current EFE prices!

The real bargain today was the Bachmann Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 tender loco I picked up from The Locoshed. This is a loco I hankered after as a child ever since it was released by Hornby in the 70s, but which has absolutely no justification for me to buy it other than that I really like it! Jim also had the Hornby model in stock - there’s a world of difference between the two models, so real nostalgia lost out to the more accurate model!

I wonder whether I could occasionally ring the changes and go WR with Woodhey Quay, simply to justify that purchase? Mind you, that would require suitable coaching stock and a GWR brake van or two for the goods trains…

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Turns out that the gate stock was either powered by M7s or by O2s, not by Hs…

How fortunate I was able to acquire an O2 loco off eBay at a very reasonable price, not a bargain bargain, but certainly less than the current EFE prices!

The real bargain today was the Bachmann Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 tender loco I picked up from The Locoshed. This is a loco I hankered after as a child ever since it was released by Hornby in the 70s, but which has absolutely no justification for me to buy it other than that I really like it! Jim also had the Hornby model in stock - there’s a world of difference between the two models, so real nostalgia lost out to the more accurate model!

I wonder whether I could occasionally ring the changes and go WR with Woodhey Quay, simply to justify that purchase? Mind you, that would require suitable coaching stock and a GWR brake van or two for the goods trains…

HOURS OF FUN!

Rule 1 applies!!!

I assume you picked up a BR Green one given you are having WR thoughts

On 16/02/2022 at 14:00, SteamingWales said:

Rule 1 applies!!!

I assume you picked up a BR Green one given you are having WR thoughts

Yes, indeed. To think, I went into the shop with the intention to part exchange/swap a Bachmann SR pillbox brake van in Engineer’s green livery for a more fitting BR liveried brake van! The 2-6-0 was second hand, sitting in a display cabinet, unboxed, for a price £10 cheaper than the tiny black Hornby Peckett W4 0-4-0 I spotted next to it (and which I immediately drooled over!)…

Commented about wanting one as a kid, and next thing she was gliding effortlessly around the (set track curves) test track, ignoring the dirt on the track which was making more expensive, sound fitted DCC models splutter and stutter…

I showed enormous self restraint and put it away again, and declared that I would leave and return in a few days and, if it was still there, then I would purchase it, as it was ‘meant to be’ (so much for self restraint and/or will power!)

Whilst looking for a Hornby SR brake van, I stumbled across the old Hornby model that I had so wanted as a youngster… 

As stated earlier, the difference between the two models is the difference between a toy train and a scale model, and the Bachmann model was only £20 dearer! All pretence at any kind of resistance crumbled, and I cried out for the card machine to be presented for the transaction to be completed!

At this point, I part exchanged my brake van and got £12 off the price, meaning it was a mere £8 dearer than the old Hornby model! Yes, it is in a green livery and is of a preserved example (I believe) but Rule #1 says I am allowed it and Rule #9 says “Never regret taking an opportunity to snaffle a bargain”! Boom!

The icing on the cake was that when searching for a suitable box for it (remember, it was unboxed), Paul found it’s box in the store room! So, other than missing the detailing parts (brake rigging etc) which I believe I can get from Bachmann as spares, I have a lovely loco for just over £60!

So, having got one WR loco, I suppose I could get myself a Bachmann pannier tank in BR black. I do already have both versions of the 0-6-0 dock shunters; a couple of WR Toads to tail the freight; a couple of Collett coaches, maybe, in crimson livery, for passenger traffic.

Oh dear…

HOURS OF WR FUN!

PS - a shout out to Jim and Paul at The Locoshed in Whitefield (Manchester), and to Bachmann for helping fulfil a childhood dream better than it could have been back in the day!

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 2

A visit to Stockport with Ron Rogers to explore a model railway stall on Stockport Indoor Market resulted in the unexpected purchase of three Bachmann Mk1 commuter coaches in BR maroon for the princely sum of £30 … for all three!

Seems my stock for WR passenger services is complete!

If only the layout itself could progress at the same speed!

HOURS OF SMUGNESS FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Curses! Images have not (yet) restored back to the thread. Will leave it another week and then try to manually restore it all - here’s hoping I kept the track plans I posted here for reference!

HOURS OF FUN!

PS

Visited Rails of Sheffield on Good Friday and had a good look at Rapido’s 3D sample for the “Titfield Thunderbolt” bogie coach - thinking it would suit this layout to a T! Also picked up a Rails “Terrier” - have wanted one for ages but didn’t want to be messing about returning it by post after reading @NHY 581’s experiences!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added PS
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just had an invoice through from Rails of Sheffield informing me that the two W&U bogie coaches I had put on pre-order have now been sent…

I’d forgotten about ordering them!

Bit of a dent in the finances the same month road tax and car insurance* are due, but it does mean that Woodhey Quay needs to be progressed to make use of them with the W&U tramcars tram locos! Also an opportunity to get on with the skirted O4s and the railbus kit. Did I mention I also acquired a kit for the Class 05 diesel suitable for Ipswich etc? Guess I should be busy over the winter, then!

Yes, I know, I know … Blackford Wharf, Ugly Duckling Vans etc

Steve S

* Don’t get me up on that particular soapbox!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrected an idiotic error
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oh my - they’ve arrived!

I have a sh**-load of school work to do tonight. I shouldn’t unbox them until the weekend.

Except I am visiting a friend in Barnsley at the weekend, and we are going to attend the Barnsley MRC exhibition together.

Which means it might be the weekend after. So…

Maybe later … 🤔

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Correcting stupid autocorrect’s incorrect corrections!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sb67 said:

Sound like some interesting developments will be happening on Woodhey  Quay, look forward to that 🙂

Like a lunatic I have been sketching out some ideas based upon Wells Next The Sea amalgamated with The Hole In The Wall at Great Yarmouth … it will probably end up looking like an unholy union of disparate parts, but I have lots of Fair Price Models laser cut kits itching to be used, and a 4’ x 2’ (exactly!) baseboard going spare!

What I don’t have is time … and I really need to focus upon Blackford Wharf or even DRS Engineering and get one of those “finished” before starting yet more projects! 

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Really bad grammar!
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

January edition of the H@rnby magazine has an O gauge branch line measuring 14 feet long by 3 feet wide that I’m looking at and thinking “flip the track plan horizontally and then vertically and it’ll work for Woodhey Quay”!

Of course, in 4mm/foot the layout should (theoretically) scale down to 8 foot long by 18 inches wide, so no longer a micro layout. I suspect that to keep the open feel of that design that it cannot really be shrunk down any further - but it’s something to ponder whilst sweating out the lurgy!

It features a halt platform which maybe precludes using the Wisbech coaches and tram locos…

Oh dear, I feel a more W&U inspired micro may end up being ‘justified’ and return Woodhey Quay to being a ‘proper’ railway!

HOURS OF FUN!