Bachmann HTA Wagons - couplings

Sir TophamHatt

I have purchased some Bachmann HTA wagons.

I'm a little confused as twice some have managed to derail. Not sure if it's the length as I have a cantered S bend, which some stock struggles with.

Were these originally supplied with Kadee fittings?

The ones on mine seem a little... plastic but more importantly, at the wrong height by quite a bit. So much so, none of my stock can pull them currently. I've attached a photo with the height guide.

Cheers!

IMG_20200116_195531.jpg

Edited by AY Mod
Misleading title

Mine were all supplied with kadee type couplings attached and spare tension lock type in the box. I have just fitted a tension lock at one end of the two outer wagons in the rake.

It may be that the drop type tension lock coupling (as fitted to Bachmann Mk 1s) would be a better match.

I think these wagons are the same as the BRA / BYA steel wagons produced by Bachmann and have NEM coupling pockets for the supplied tension lock couplings on the bogies, which I think are at the correct height.  However, the real wagons have buckeye couplings and the Kadee clones supplied with the model are fitted into a second pocket at the height that they are on the prototype. 

• Agree 4

Hmm.

I'll have a look.  The ones that have tension locks seem to be at an okay height.  They have a little bendy T shape on the underneath to press into the wagon.

I wonder if I can make use of some Kadee #146's that I thought I didn't need, that could result in the correct height.

Time for experimentation I think - shall report back.

For the derailing issue, try slackening off the bogie retaining screws about a quarter turn. This will allow slightly more play in the bogie for up and down, fore and aft movements.

Edited by SRman
Corrected two typos
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Having just looked at mine I realise that I removed the bogie at one end to remove the kadee type. I then fixed an nem pocket directly to the triangular opening which is under the bogie itself. Any kadee or suitable tension lock should then fit into the pocket at the correct height.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As Paul says, they are supplied with E-Z mates ate the wagon prototype height - i.e. - sticking out of the buffer beam. This is not the same as a Kadee height gauge.

Kadees come in many flavours with centerset, overset, underset shanks as well as lengths and other fittins - such as NEM, whisker etc. Understanding the Kadee webpage is not easy.

I fitted the "inter-rake" couplers of my modified HRAs with #142s instead of E-Z mates. Because I don't like EZmates.

The two outer wagons of the set have buffers fitted as per prototype. One has no coupling, the other has the tension lock in the standard NEM fishtail socket on the bogie (that's the "T" referred to by STH)

If you want to fit a Kadee at the height of a height gauge, then you will have to modify the wagon to suit and fix the gearbox of the Kadee to the underside of the buffer beam.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

I'd rate these as among the best OO wagon models available: the coupler looks like the one used on the prototype, and is mounted in the right place, top marks among RTR OO in the prototype fidelity stakes.

Here's what I have found.

The EZ mate has been reliable so far after many years use as a 13 wagon set.

It is very easy to install an EZ-mate to match in the Bachmann class 66 (which also enables the full airdam and bufferbeam detail to be fitted, much enhancing the model, surprised Bachmann did not make this provision).

Kadee magnetic uncouplers will actuate these couplers even though they are positioned well over gauge height. (The option of straightening the iron prong is available if actuation is not reliable.)

Really, what's not to like, especially as Bachmann supply with provision to install the NEM pocket fitting couplers included?

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I'd rate these as among the best OO wagon models available: the coupler looks like the one used on the prototype, and is mounted in the right place, top marks among RTR OO in the prototype fidelity stakes.

It is very easy to install an EZ-mate to match in the Bachmann class 66 (which also enables the full airdam and bufferbeam detail to be fitted, much enhancing the model, surprised Bachmann did not make this provision).

Kadee magnetic uncouplers will actuate these couplers even though they are positioned well over gauge height. (The option of straightening the iron prong is available if actuation is not reliable.)

Really, what's not to like, especially as Bachmann supply with provision to install the NEM pocket fitting couplers included?

I've actually had a different experience.  I've found there is too much slop in the E-Z mate couplings as supplied and when I run my rake of 19 car rake uncouples in several places randomly (the couplers ride up/down as loaded).  As others have said, Bach have given options on this wagon:

a) E-Z mate body mounted at correct prototypical height

b) provision on the bogie for NEM couplers to install at "normal" tension lock or Kadee height

As others have said, Kadees can also be slotted into the body mounted sockets albeit a different type.  

In the end I couldn't get reliable running with the body mounted couplers and resorted to using the bogie mounted NEM pockets with Hornby/Roco couplers which have proved way more reliable.  I suspect with more time I may have gotten there with Kadees in the body mounted sockets but ran out of patience.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, daz9284 said:

where did you get these mate and do you have pictures?

a project for me this year is to make some HRA and GBRf/Tarmac HYA's

cheers

Darryl

I presume you mean the HRAs?

Made them from HTAs by chopping a bit out as per the real thing.

My article was in BRM a month or two back.

Here: Two links to the main bits of my workbench thread.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Matt said:

... I've found there is too much slop in the E-Z mate couplings as supplied and when I run my rake of 19 car rake uncouples in several places randomly (the couplers ride up/down as loaded)...  

Introducing a little drag cures that, keeps the couplers in tension. I would expect body mounted Kadee to perform without trouble, but I am mean and getting the (inferior) clone to work is 'good enough!'.

16 hours ago, newbryford said:

I presume you mean the HRAs?

Made them from HTAs by chopping a bit out as per the real thing.

My article was in BRM a month or two back.

Here: Two links to the main bits of my workbench thread.

absolutely cracking work.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2020 at 16:54, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Exactly. These wagons make up block trains. Between wagons, there is no need for them to be compatible with anything else and the EZ-mate couplings look more realistic. At one end, or both as necessary, push in your fishtail coupling of choice to enable a locomotive to couple up to the train. If the EZ-mate couplings give trouble on your layout, insert a coupling type which works.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 16/01/2020 at 19:56, Sir TophamHatt said:

I have purchased some Bachmann HTA wagons.

I'm a little confused as twice some have managed to derail. Not sure if it's the length as I have a cantered S bend, which some stock struggles with.

Were these originally supplied with Kadee fittings?

The ones on mine seem a little... plastic but more importantly, at the wrong height by quite a bit. So much so, none of my stock can pull them currently. I've attached a photo with the height guide.

Cheers!

IMG_20200116_195531.jpg

Isn't that height gauge specifically for standard HO stock? 

• Agree 1

Revisited these again.

Here's what I've found.

Fitted Kadee Clones are too high.

Kadee (146) in their own pocket box is slightly too high.

Kadee (146) in the original socket area is far too high.

Anything that will fit in the existing fishtail socket will be quite low.

So yes, I think the only option is a step down kadee. Only really need it for either end of one wagon as I'll probably never pull anything at the end of the train and I suspect the existing kadee clones are fine for inter rake.

Brill!

Came back with fresh eyes and managed to mix the couplers and space and now been able to fix both ends in suitable positions for a loco (on the bogie) and the rest of the rake (on the chassis).

Just need a long screw that holds on the ez coupler and I'm good to go! 

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1