4x2 N Gauge First Layout in 45 Years

Phaeton

Once again thanks guys even more to think about, I came across Inglenook last night so I think that needs to be incorporated in it somewhere, maybe as part of the 'works' I like Bredon but It doesn't give me the bridge unless of course the bridge is on the same level & it crosses a river which is cut out of the baseboard. @Realistic_build_Speed you're already in front of me you have 'some' rolling stock & just as important you have legs! so you're not on the floor. I may have to wait until Tuesday night when somebody goes out to accidentally make some.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lymebrook Yard thread is worth a look at as an excellent example of what can fit into 4'×2' in N gauge. May not be what you are after ..... but still worth a look in my opinion, you never know.

Regards,

Ian.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, bnb said:

Hi, The grades in the top plan would be reduced if the crossover at the rear of the plan was raised to about 15mm , with the track then falling to zero at  the foreground station.

I liked this idea & started to work out how I could do it, but then came across an issue, if I lift the track on the right hand side, then it means the track on top of the level where it crosses back over the twin track would also have to go up the same 15mm defeating the object.

9 hours ago, 03060 said:

Lymebrook Yard thread is worth a look at as an excellent example of what can fit into 4'×2' in N gauge. May not be what you are after ..... but still worth a look in my opinion, you never know.

Regards,

Ian.

Very good & shows great skills far better then mine will ever be, but it's too urban for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phaeton said:

Does this work for better incline?

Yes, you can probably get a gradient of less than 1:50 that way. But there will still be clearance problems if you want to extend the upper level all the way to the right hand corner as the outer circuit is still above baseboard level.  Can you make do with a shorter upper level?

• RMweb Gold

You will need to space the two lines further apart to give room for a retaining wall. Will that look realistic? A lot of the inner/lower track work will be obscured by the rising track and the high level terminus in the centre.

P.S. The latest plan is almost end to end... You have to take a sharp crossover, a deviation, to complete a circuit on the lower level.

Edited by Harlequin

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

Yes, you can probably get a gradient of less than 1:50 that way. But there will still be clearance problems if you want to extend the upper level all the way to the right hand corner as the outer circuit is still above baseboard level.  Can you make do with a shorter upper level?

I think that is the only option

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

You will need to space the two lines further apart to give room for a retaining wall. Will that look realistic? A lot of the inner/lower track work will be obscured by the rising track and the high level terminus in the centre.

P.S. The latest plan is almost end to end... You have to take a sharp crossover, a deviation, to complete a circuit on the lower level.

Sorry I don't understand "You have to take a sharp crossover," do you mean via the turnout? I was looking at trying curved points, but hey only come in 2nd/3rd radius not 1st/2nd

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Phaeton said:

Sorry I don't understand "You have to take a sharp crossover," do you mean via the turnout? I was looking at trying curved points, but hey only come in 2nd/3rd radius not 1st/2nd

This:

53605992_phaeton1.png.6ba7ce417985c7284be6409fc7a5e0f5.png

You could probably smooth out that crossover by starting it in the curve like this:

CM2.png.321bd14be21a0853d832ff0df9efa796.png

If this were a OO design and you mentioned "1st radius curves" alarm bells would be ringing now! I don't know if the same is true in N but it still sounds like a bad idea to use the tightest set radius parts.

I have a couple of thoughts:

Since you've got a baseboard why not just buy some settrack and plug it together to try out different (flat!) combinations. That would be great fun and a great way to start to get an idea of what will and won't work.

I think you are making things difficult for yourself: 1220*610 is almost the minimum viable size for an N gauge layout and you're trying to cram a lot into it. Judging from the photo above you could do something slightly bigger (say, 1525*762?) and that would open up the design possibilities hugely. (But maybe still not track rising on a gradient to cross other track - I think that's not really sensible in such a small space. Much easier to grade the landscape and keep the track level!)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks @Harlequin (Phil) unfortunately the size is the largest I can use, the other side of the room is my working desk & we have to be able to at some point get grand-kids beds in.

I have track & will have a play, just waiting for the DCC chip to arrive

IMG_20200129_144016.jpg

Edited by Phaeton
  • Like 1