EM Gauge Society & Scalefour Society Skills Day 2020

Didcot Civic Hall, Britwell Road, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 7JN

Saturday March 14th 2020 - 11.00am to 4.00pm

We are pleased to announce that the EM Gauge Society and the Scalefour Society are holding in March 2020, another ‘Skills Day’ event. This is the first one to take place in this region and builds on the successful formula of an informal, informative gathering of modellers.  As in previous years, the EMGS involvement is again being funded by the bequest of Chris Kedgley, former Chairman of the EM Gauge Society and active member of the Scalefour Society who passed away in June 2013.

Didcot is a famous railway town with Didcot Parkway Railway Station being within walking distance of the Civic Hall. Even in March, for a weekend break the area has much to offer railway enthusiasts, Didcot Railway Centre is within walking distance while Pendon Museum at Long Wittenham is only a couple of miles distant.

As ever, the emphasis will be on ‘showing and telling’ and so will feature around eighteen experienced modellers demonstrating a wide range of skills and a variety of innovative techniques. All this will be supported by an expected total of six quality layouts to inspire you and illustrate some of these methods in practice.

Date:                           Saturday March 14th 2020

Web:                           https://www.didcotcivichall.co.uk

Opening Times:        11.00am to 4.00pm

Admission:                 Entry is FREE, but donations are encouraged.

Catering:                    Teas and coffees will be available.

For lunch, a wide variety of hostelries and cafes are close at hand.

Layouts 

Brighton East(EM) - Dave Smith

Cheddar (P4) - Chris Challis

Edge Hill (EM) - Paul Segar

Great Bardfield(P4) - David Hawkins

Lower Exbury (P4) - Alison and David Barker

Westcliff (EM) - Richard Butler

Demonstrations

Ready to Run Locomotive Conversion - Mike Ainsworth

Signals - Mark Tatlow

Scenics - Paul Ash

Weathering Techniques - Mick Bonwick (Great Missenden)

Resistive Soldering Techniques - David Brandreth

Alex Jackson & Dingham Auto couplings - David Bridges

Laser Cutting Techniques - Jonathan Buckie

Templot - Phil Chudley

Coaches - Philip Hall

Painting & Lining - Geoff Haynes

Trees – Ray Hodson

Weathering Diesel period stock - Peter Johnson

Not all wagons are the same - Duncan Redford

Soldering - Roger Sawyer

Trackwork - Phil Tattershall

Wagon Suspension & Springing Systems - Andrew Ullyott

Loco Clinic - Tim Venton

Architectural Modelling - Grahame Vickery

Electronics - MERG

The EMGS Test Track will be in attendance and will be situated adjacent to Tim Venton’s stand.

Accessibility: Wheelchair accessible

This event is being organised by the various area groups in the South and South West of England of the EM Gauge Society www.emgs.org and the Scalefour Society http://scalefour.org/

CK_Skills_2020_Scan.jpg

Edited by Leander
Flyer added to post
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time to bump this. It is going to be a great day out, with great layouts and very able demonstrators AND IT IS FREE we ask only for a donation. The layouts are being set up without drapes, so visitors can view and ask questions about the bits you cannot normally see. A day for talking and relaxing see you all there.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A very pleasant, chilled and convivial gathering. Tried my hand at a few new (to me) techniques, caught up with old friends and viewed some very nice layouts. Seemed pretty busy too. 

Well done to all involved. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Myself and Kelly  (D827) had a wonderful time. Lots of humorous chat about all manner of things and some excellent modelling on view. Where else can you see a Southern Region De-icing set on one layout and a De Glehn Compound (GWR 104) on a rake of LNWR corridor stock on another (set on the Dorset coast?)

Whether you are a fine scale modeller or not there is much for the modeller to enjoy at these skills days. I recommend attendance!

Thanks to all for carrying on with the day and for your time, expertise and chat.

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 2

I thought (from a demonstrator’s perspective) that it was an excellent day.  Lots of chatting to visitors so  I only cut one bit of micro strip the entire day. The layouts were excellent too - seeing Westcliff always tops up my inspiration and ambition.

drduncan

Good venue, layouts, friends, etc; and the bonus of picking up a couple of GWR locos! Then followed by a visit to GWS Didcot, and a long chat to John Barlow, one of the founder members. Really enjoyed the day!

• RMweb Gold

Lots of talking done, lots of Dark Wash used and no sandwiches until 14:30hrs. Must have been a good day out! Much appreciation has to be shown to Tony Sullivan and his hard-working crew for the organisation of a splendid event.

When's the next one?

29 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Lots of talking done, lots of Dark Wash used and no sandwiches until 14:30hrs. Must have been a good day out! Much appreciation has to be shown to Tony Sullivan and his hard-working crew for the organisation of a splendid event.

When's the next one?

I understand that it is planned for this time next year in Nantgarw.

For me it was an excellent day.  The format works well.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 2