Converting a Hornby 56/60 to EM

Hi all, I’ve got a question with regards to converting locos to EM Gauge, how would you convert a Hornby 56/60 to EM? Do you need new axles or can you respace on the existing axles? I’m looking at the Ultrascale website but is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Also looking at a Bachmann 66 and VITrains 37, so any experience of converting the above would be much appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

Will

18 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

For the ViTrains 37 I used AGW wheelsets and the results are fine. You could send an email to AGW re the 56/60 and ask the question.

Cheers

Thanks very much for your response! I managed to order a Class 60 set but he didn’t have any VITrains ones, we’ll see how we get on with the 60!

Thanks again,

Will

59 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Thanks very much for your response! I managed to order a Class 60 set but he didn’t have any VITrains ones, we’ll see how we get on with the 60!

Thanks again,

Will

Use the conversion set for the Bachmann 37 for a ViTrains conversion

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Easy option for the ViTrains (and Bachmann or Heljan locos with 2mm axles) is to use either the Black beetle 14mm disc wheels (from Branchlines) or to use Keen Maygib 14.5mm disc wheels (from EMGS Stores).

Advantage of these over the aforementioned Gibson conversion packs is that the larger surface area of an all metal wheel makes aligning pickups easier than the Gibson metal tyre/plastic centre.  Also less likely to wobble around on their axles.

As you’re finding, the Hornby (and more recent Bachmann) with stub axles need a bit more fiddling with.  I’d try Branchlines first, I used their wheels to P4 a Bachmann 101 which uses the stub axle setup.

• Thanks 1

I have converted two Bachmann 108 dmus to P4, one using Branchlines components, the other using AGW. Both conversions went very well and both worked without any issues at all; both can be recommended.

The drive axle on the AGW wheelset needed to have the original Bachmann gear wheel drilled out so it could fit, all the other AGW wheelsets just dropping in (but they do need spacers). The Branchlines sets needed a bit more work to get the stub axles in the correct place with the wheels properly lined up but it's no big deal either way.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for the responses much appreciated! I’ve ordered a Class 60 set of wheels from AG so we’ll see how they turn out in the week. If anyone has any photos of the conversion work I’d really appreciate it.

If only locos were as easy as wagons! 

thanks again,

Will

• RMweb Premium

I’ll have some photos somewhere, but it’s fairly straightforward.

Generic notes for Bachmann, ViTrains and Heljan with 2mm axles

1. Remove bogie side frame, pop wheels out of the bogies
  2. Remove wheels, bushes and gears from 00 axles, a gear puller makes this bit easier, but you can do it without by supporting wheel/gear in open jaws of a vice.
  3. Prepare new wheels.  Remove one wheel and file off pinpoints if using Blackbeetle or KM wheels.
  4. Put bushes and gears onto new axle, add the wheel you removed and check back to back (16.5mm for EM), pop the axles back into the bogie.
  5. Adjust pickups ensure they remain in contact with wheel at all times.
  6. Check for clearance, you may need to file a little from the brake gear or reposition it slightly.
  7. Test run

One thing we’ve not mentioned yet (I’ve been doing P4 too long and had forgotten) is that you can get away with regauging some Bachmann 00 wheels out to EM back to back.  A fair few of the locos I did for Black Country Blues ran like that and didn’t give any trouble.  Simple move each wheel about 1mm outwards and adjust couplings.

• Thanks 1

On 19/01/2020 at 22:09, Mark Forrest said:

I’ll have some photos somewhere, but it’s fairly straightforward.

Generic notes for Bachmann, ViTrains and Heljan with 2mm axles

1. Remove bogie side frame, pop wheels out of the bogies
  2. Remove wheels, bushes and gears from 00 axles, a gear puller makes this bit easier, but you can do it without by supporting wheel/gear in open jaws of a vice.
  3. Prepare new wheels.  Remove one wheel and file off pinpoints if using Blackbeetle or KM wheels.
  4. Put bushes and gears onto new axle, add the wheel you removed and check back to back (16.5mm for EM), pop the axles back into the bogie.
  5. Adjust pickups ensure they remain in contact with wheel at all times.
  6. Check for clearance, you may need to file a little from the brake gear or reposition it slightly.
  7. Test run

One thing we’ve not mentioned yet (I’ve been doing P4 too long and had forgotten) is that you can get away with regauging some Bachmann 00 wheels out to EM back to back.  A fair few of the locos I did for Black Country Blues ran like that and didn’t give any trouble.  Simple move each wheel about 1mm outwards and adjust couplings.

Thanks Mark that’s perfect much appreciated! Off to see Tim Horn tomorrow so hopefully he can help and I can apply the theory! 

Thanks,

Will

• Like 1