New Hornby 87 chassis.....

125_driver

Apologies if posted in the wrong section, but i was wondering how easy it would be to take the chassis of the new Hornby class 87 and fit an OLD Hornby class 86 body to it? Without owning a new 87 I haven't a clue what the chassis looks like and if it is doable or not, any help appreciated.....thanks.

4 minutes ago, jf2682 said:

I plan on doing this for my 2020 building program.  The new chassis is about 1 - 2 mm too wide to fit into the old class 86 body shell.

I had a half-attempt with 1 of mine so I didn't get that far.

The 86 has 2 mouldings which hold the weight down. These will have to be removed.

The flexicoil springs are very slightly larger on the 87 (but a lot smaller than the Lima ones were) so the recesses for these would need to be slightly larger.

For a 40-year old model, the 86 is quite good. It is not perfect but the basic shape looks good, which makes it a great starting point for detailing.

As above, I would be tempted to wait for a Heljan 86. Its lighting will be at least as good as the Hornby 87...hopefully better.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Forgive me asking, but considering the price of a new 87... and the Heljan 86 early about to arrive, and later versions having just been announced.. why would you want to ?

Quite simply I want a couple of swallow livery 86s and trying to get hold of Heljan ones seems impossible and I'm led to believe the next Heljan release is for older 86s, not 90s versions. 

They have said they will be coming round to do the 86/2 but are concentrating for the first batches on those variants never previously modelled, the AL6, 86/0, 86/4 and 86/6.

Of course, an 86 body on an 87 chassis will be a good way of doing 86 101-3 which had Class 87 bogies.