Better Level Crossing Barriers?

Hi,

I’m in the middle of writing the signalling data for my MCB-OC on the new layout (

Now, they are models on the market by PECO, Wills and Hornby. However, they aren’t all that good (i.e. rubbish) and aren’t motorised, although there are motorising kits.

What I would really love is the Veissmann models ( https://viessmann-modell.com/en/product-range/gauge-h0/railway-crossings/252/h0-level-crossing-with-decorated-barriers-fully-automatic?c=255 ), but not only are they very expensive, but they also work off 16v AC, but I want to run something off 12v DC.

So, what’s the easiest way of getting realistic level crossing barriers that work without having to scratch build them and what’s the best motorising kit for them?

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

I'd not seen the Viessmann crossing before, interesting to see that a manufacturer has finally done folding skirts. Looks like they have used much the same principal as I did on my own crossing. 

This is driven by RC servos

Andi

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Andi, I remember being impressed when you first posted that video. Did you use commercial components for the booms and motor housings?

On a side note, any idea when crossings changed from warning bells to the 2 tone sirens? I'd like to incorporate a full crossing for a layout set around 1980.

1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

I'd not seen the Viessmann crossing before, interesting to see that a manufacturer has finally done folding skirts. Looks like they have used much the same principal as I did on my own crossing. 

Andi

Hi,

It was your barriers that aspire to! 

Unfortunately, my scratch building skills really aren’t up to the point of being able to build something like that!

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Andi, I remember being impressed when you first posted that video. Did you use commercial components for the booms and motor housings?

On a side note, any idea when crossings changed from warning bells to the 2 tone sirens? I'd like to incorporate a full crossing for a layout set around 1980.

My barriers are built from an etch that Brian Hanson made up for me to my own design, the motor housing are just plasticard boxes around a bearing mech that goes below the baseboard to the servos.

No idea when they went from bells to warblers I'm afraid

Andi

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

That looks so lifelike. The only thing that convinced me it wasn't, is that the electric locos don't have the pantographs up. Excellent stuff. :) 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1