At last !!!!!! A very good class 20 speaker that fits !!

40034_Nick

I have spent ages trying to work out how to get a good speaker than fits in a 20 with amazing sound !! most didn't fit and went into other locos or just sounded really bad !!

Now i found one that fits and sounds amazing with legomanbiffo's class 20 V5 decoder. and i am seriously happy and its loud.

It's the Youchoos Icecube 28x18x07 2watt .. (No i dont work for them, before someone asks.)..

01.jpg.71a85834d14019122a8dd66bb901322d.jpg

File off the 2 nipples in the class 20

02.jpg.d8b9c78487b97ba758063769a1858c02.jpg

Reverse solder the wires so the speaker can go complete flush against the nose. 

03.jpg.335fa8905701659636501ca0409b7d78.jpg

Add the speaker with Blue tack underneath and if its sitting right against the nose and roof its a perfect fit when the body is back on. its then so compressed it cant move which i guess gives it a better sound.

04.jpg.44b9daa4dd3b1321911307e17f89f878.jpg

It goes without saying that when you attach the wires and put the body back on to make sure the wires sit on the top on the chassis and do not fall down the sides.

I also got a speaker in with a class 20 with Fan, but had the cut the fan housing somewhat..

Hope this helps someone avoiding the headache i have had for a couple of years now !!

Nick

Edited by 40034_Nick
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Richard.. I know you sell your speakers mate but in this case.. The speaker(s) i have installed are more bassy .. Videos dont do it justice.. 

A class 20 is the most annoying (But still nice) high pitched sound ever thats why you need more bass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2020 at 14:58, Richard Croft said:

would still be nice to see a video though, played through decent speakers a video should give a reasonable representation, I'm not saying yours is worse, thats why I want to hear it,

Richard

I dont have time to film and as said it sounds alot better than an Iphone speaker.. i get the fact that you make money from selling Iphone speakers but the speakers i mentioned are alot better.. Try them !!!

• Like 1

Hi,

At the risk of hi-jacking this thread , can someone point me in the direction of a replacement speaker to fit inside a Bachmann CL20 which is fitted with a Loksound 3.5 decoder. I want to get a better base sound. It presently has what looks like a 20 x 40  100 ohm fitted that has too much treble. I know there is a base reflex available but it looks too large. Is there an alternative ?

Bill.

On 31/01/2020 at 23:20, Dunmar said:

Hi,

At the risk of hi-jacking this thread , can someone point me in the direction of a replacement speaker to fit inside a Bachmann CL20 which is fitted with a Loksound 3.5 decoder. I want to get a better base sound. It presently has what looks like a 20 x 40  100 ohm fitted that has too much treble. I know there is a base reflex available but it looks too large. Is there an alternative ?

Bill.

After much headache i got rid of 5x 3.5 decoders and changed to V5s.. Still have another 4 to buy from Charlie and Biff.. Cant beat them !!!

I also have 2 DRS class 20s with V4s and they sound great too..

• Agree 1

On 28/01/2020 at 14:00, Richard Croft said:

You're getting very argumentative which wasn't my intention. I have tried iPhone speakers alongside a large double ice cube speaker on the speaker test board I made and I thought they sounded very similar actually, obviously different speakers sound different with different classes and maybe this is an example where the iPhone speaker loses out. I was genuinely interested in hearing it and only posted a video of mine to offer up a comparison, I thought that as you'd gone to the trouble of showing us how it fits that you were likely to post a video too, you have posted video's before after all.  Maybe if you don't have time then I'll try a class 20 decoder on that speaker test board and video it myself. If its better I'll start using that type of speaker in class 20's, if it sounds the same/similar I'll stick to what I know.

Richard

Not Argumentative mate.. Too busy building an exhibition layout for BR blue and DRS (Obviously not running on the same day ;-) )

On 28/01/2020 at 16:34, Phil Bullock said:

And having the loco body in place can enhance sound quality - my Baby Deltic is much better with the body on, again a tight fit.

Yes. There is no more room left with this speaker fitted hence having to file the nipples off the metal part of the chassis.. I guess its so tight that the bass really gets going.. I tried so many speakers and am happy i found the solution.