Items of commercial interest for British H0

Allegheny1600

• RMweb Premium

A query by Steve @sb67 has taken me to the web site of Model U. I had associated this firm with custom scanned figures. In fact, they are offering a range of detail parts for a British model railway, in many scales including 1:87.

For example, figures for early railways:

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/industry/1870-1947-ind/workmen-early-20th-century/

through to the possessions of a present-day freight driver:

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/2764/

Food for thought.

- Richard.

• Like 3

A company in Czechoslovakia lists the following British outline road vehicles in HO:-

1952 Bentley Continental R

1959-67 Ford anglia 105E, civilian and Police versions

1959 Hillman Minx Series 111a

Ford Cortina Mk 1 

Jaguar XK150 open/ closed versions

Bedford CA van, Utilabrake and ambulance (late type)

LandRover F/C Redwing fire tender

Foden S21 8-wheel lorry, flat or dropside body

Additionally, there are a few foreign cars which would have been familiar on British roads.

Very finely detailed and cast in resin, some with etched detail parts and close-fitting vac-formed windows. Available fully-finished, most with a choice of several colours, or as unpainted kits.

Not the cheapest of models, but very good quality.

See the VV Models range here:-   www.vvmodel.cz

I have one of the Foden lorries, and upon inspecting the parts I had a feeling that I'd seen them somewhere before.  It would seem that the Corgi 1/50 model has been scaled down. Apart from alterations to the mounting points, the headboard, air tank and rear mudguards are now separate parts, but the main mouldings are  reduced copies of the original Corgi offering. It may also be true that others in the range have been based on larger-scale diecasts. Having said that, it's still a lovely little model.

DSCN5484.JPG

Edited by fodenway
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

An eBay vendor trading as 'britem' is offering decals for modern 1:87 vehicles such as the Herpa VW Transporter. There are other designs if you look at "See other items" including ambulances.

- Richard.

a.png.0dbb7e5e223ab3e83fd50a7a016de4b1.png

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

John @Allegheny1600  told me about Lincoln Locos a while back, and I have just received their print of a Wickham railbus:

DSCF1656.jpg.2b521370fab4a37935c15ce881d14bb8.jpg

This seems pretty fabulous to me. It really does look like an injection moulding, with none of the stepped surfaces and surfaces like sandpaper I have experienced on prints from other sources. The length is spot-on for the 38 feet of the prototype, and the shape of the bodysides looks just right to me too although I realise this isn't terribly obvious in my photo.

Lincoln Locos design and produce their prints for 3mm scale; they did me this as a one-off for H0:

https://lincoln-loco.co.uk/

Usual disclaimer.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I have found a few British H0 building kits in the Gaugemaster range:

GM430 Mortimer station, the former Pola kit

GM480 Teignmouth station, the former Heljan kit

GM481 Teignmouth signal box, another Heljan kit

GM482 Fordhampton goods shed, another Heljan kit

Maybe there are some others lurking on their site?

- Richard.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that the goods shed is nearer to 4mm/ft as it looks OK with OO scale wagons, having used it in OO many yearsago. The Teignmouth station buildings are I think actually nearer to 3mm/ft, something I checked as I thought they might be suitable for an Irish modelling project(1/96 scale 16.5mm gauge).

I am not sure about the Mortimer station building. I had one of the Pola kits a few years ago. Probably nearer to HO than OO scale, but I do wish they had done brickwork correctly.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I would say that the goods shed is nearer to 4mm/ft as it looks OK with OO scale wagons, having used it in OO many yearsago. The Teignmouth station buildings are I think actually nearer to 3mm/ft, something I checked as I thought they might be suitable for an Irish modelling project(1/96 scale 16.5mm gauge).

I am not sure about the Mortimer station building. I had one of the Pola kits a few years ago. Probably nearer to HO than OO scale, but I do wish they had done brickwork correctly.

The goods shed and Mortimer station both measure up for H0 especially at the doorways.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just received a couple of motor/gearbox units from China. Very nice and although I got them for 32mm/45mm gauge they are narrow enough to fit within frames for 16.5mm gauge. Clearnce above raili only issue.with motor horozontal, minimum wheel diameter of 14-15mm . If motor vertical(space allowing), then 10-12mm maybe.

Axles(3mm diameter?) have a flat edge so driving wheels could be created witha flat internal edge, making quartering easier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263470202962?var=564998450253

I have done 3D printed wheels for larger gauges to fit metal tyre rims of Faller O gauge loco wheels, so would do something similar to these. I think it might be possible for someone to do 3D printed wheel centres to fit larger driving wheels for HO scale, possibly someone with their own 3D printer.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if a model railbus could use two of these motor/gearbox units, placed horizontally with the motors facing other? Please tell us how controllable they turn out to be.

- Richard.

for a railbus, I think one motor would be enough. I chose a couple(different ratios) which even at 12v would move very slowly so better for a shunting loco.

Only issue might be wheel size, as minimim diameter would be more than most railbus wheels.

A small steam engine, eg GWR 14xx might be possible.

It is not something I am specifically looking at, but might be something for someone with their own 3D printer to design and print wheels to fit metal tyres.

• RMweb Premium

Well - the railbus I am thinking of had 2' 9" wheels, and I would be happy with 10 mm on the model. The reason for suggesting two of the motor/gearbox mechanisms is to get power onto all four wheels so the model will go up a 1:20 gradient on my layout. I did some experiments with traction and two driven axles will work, but one won't. (Unless I suppose I put traction tyres on it, but this leaves pickups on only one axle, and stalling on every set of points unless I add a DCC keep alive, and so on...)

I also have a vague idea in the back of my mind to let one of the units be able to twist (along the axis of the motor) to make for a three-point suspension.

Just to check, is a 10mm wheel ok?

- Richard.

minimum diameter would be 12mm, and that would mean motor might just touch ground.That is with motor horozontal. Having motor verical might be possible. Axle to end of motor is 30mm, so would need minimum height of roof above rail of 35mm, using 10mm wheels, which might be viable.

Obviously would ned 10m wheels with removable centre, as I don't think replacing axle in motor/gearbox is viable, unless yo are very good and very brave.

The smallest wheels I have found with removable centre are the old Hornby Pacer unit ones.I would probably not go below OO wagon wheel size, using the old Hornby ones with metal tyres. Some used to have square axles, moulded to wheel centres and they used to have all sorts of back to back issues, . I recently bought some as spares but they now have round axles, so were no use for what I was wanting them, but still could use them with these motor/gearboxes.

HO is only one of the scales I am interesed in, and this motor/gearbox might allow me to explore some other scales/gauges which don't have r2r stock or track, in effect any gauge as I can use and add to my 3D printed track system.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Modelbahn Union are listing some MG TC roadsters by Busch:

https://www.modellbahnunion.com/HO-OO-gauge/HO-car-MG-Midget-TC-Cabrio.htm?shop=dm-toys-en&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=Busch-45916&p=802

My Dad had one of these :-)

From my limited knowledge of MGs, I believe if we were to scrape away the ridge along the tops of the mudguards, these models could represent the earlier TA or TB.

Busch part numbers 45916 (blue) and 45917 (two-tone green)

- Richard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2020 at 19:11, Allegheny1600 said:

He also does a BR class 04 diesel shunter too!

https://i.materialise.com/en/shop/item/british-rail-class-04-ho-sclae?query=1%3A87&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=4&pageSize=18&index=5

It looks as though this had a local Tasmanian equal so perhaps that is how he got into British outline. I'm certainly grateful to him as the I-materialise product looks vastly superior to the Shapeways "crusty" stuff!

I am having a tidy-up and found this:

DSCF2275.jpg.94a13b993915018b225fd49e79e1e1b0.jpg

DSCF2276.jpg.b937870360b097a56858cd667744962e.jpg

I stored the print in the bottom of a cupboard, the central heating pipes are about six inches below  the location though separated by the flooring (chipboard) and the Ikea Kallax holding everything.

Well, I'm glad it wasn't a finished model.

The tidy-up has become a major rearrangement of stuff in the hobby room so bulk scenic materials are near the floor and models are higher up. The room needed a clear out anyway!

- Richard.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I have read that warming up(possibly in water) distorted models can allow you to straighten up warped plastic,but it is one reason I always have roof as part of designs I do. I also try to add a strengthing strip along base of body, which not only helps stop warping, but also makes ir=t easier to fit chassis in some cases in particular coachesand wagons.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

DSCF2909.jpg.e53802b5dd9e829f7e2bf31636022f66.jpg

Please can anyone shed any light on this Electrotren ferry wagon?

It measures up fine for the British loading gauge. I wonder if it had a prototype.

- Richard.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I can’t help with the ferry wagon, sorry Richard.

The Dutch company, Artitec is going to release an Austin seven!

RHD with hood up or down also as a “Singer” van with salesman and sewing machine.

https://artitec.nl/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Artitec_Neuheiten_Folder_2022_1.pdf

Looks like a lovely model.

Cheers,

John E.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a couple of interesting loco conversion suggestions in Jim Smith's "Modelling British stock in H0 scale" aricle in the November 2021 Railway Modeller:

"... a Lima GWR 45xx Prairie in 00 scale could be modified to become a GWR 61xx large Prairie in H0 scale, while the Airfix/Dapol kit for a Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0 can be adapted to become a Standard Class 5MT 4-6-0 with very little modification. ... In most cases I found that lowering the cab, reducing the chimney and dome and setting the buffers to 20mm apart goes a considerable way to changing the proportions of the model without any chassis modifications."  The article also shows how he converted a Mainline / Bachmann J72 into a LSWR G6.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

--- and perhaps an 00 BR Standard Class 3 2-6-2T could become a H0 Class 4 2-6-4T ?

(Edit: although looking at the picture, the front of the water tanks seems to be a bit too far forward on a Class 3, compared with a Class 4 ...)

british-railways-locomotives-arthur-nigel-wolstenholme.jpg.021093a91cda2c1cbc8a13d0d5c73f09.jpg

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2022 at 20:46, Ian Simpson said:

There's a couple of interesting loco conversion suggestions in Jim Smith's "Modelling British stock in H0 scale" aricle in the November 2021 Railway Modeller:

"... a Lima GWR 45xx Prairie in 00 scale could be modified to become a GWR 61xx large Prairie in H0 scale, while the Airfix/Dapol kit for a Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0 can be adapted to become a Standard Class 5MT 4-6-0 with very little modification. ... In most cases I found that lowering the cab, reducing the chimney and dome and setting the buffers to 20mm apart goes a considerable way to changing the proportions of the model without any chassis modifications."  The article also shows how he converted a Mainline / Bachmann J72 into a LSWR G6.

I think we will remember the November RM as the "British H0 edition".

I have always thought of the J72 as a basis for merely a H0 J73 but the LSWR G6 looks like a more useful prototype. I have one of the current versions of the Bachmann J72 (their 2019 release) and studying it this evening it looks just as suitable for conversion to a G6 - and it has a much better chassis than the Palitoy version. The downside is the coreless motor, it needs a non-feedback controller or DCC which is quite a pain if you have a small shunting layout with only one engine in steam.

- Richard.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2022 at 20:46, Ian Simpson said:

I have dug out Mike Sharman's book on wheel specifications for the modeller for the two larger locos.

I don't have either of the donor models, but supposing the wheels are accurate for 4mm scale this is how they work out for H0:

Lima GWR 45xx Prairie in 00 scale

Leading wheels 3'2" scale up to 38 * 87/76 = 44", which is overscale for the 3'2" of the 61xx prototype

10 spokes on a 45xx and 61xx

Driving wheels 4'7"  scale up to 55 * 87/76 = 63", which is underscale for the 5'8" of the 61xx prototype

14 spokes on a 45xx but 18 spokes on a 61xx

Trailing wheels 3'2" scale up to 38 * 87/76 = 44", which is good for the 43" of the prototype

10 spokes on a 45xx and 61xx

Airfix/Dapol kit for a Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0 in 00 scale

I guess this is suggested as a model for static display

Leading wheels 3' scale up to 36 * 87/76 = 41", which is overscale for the 3' of the 5MT prototype

9 spokes on a 4MT and 5MT

Driving wheels 5'3" scale up to 63 * 87/76 = 72", which is good for the 6'2" of the 5MT prototype

16 spokes on a 4MT and 20 spokes on a 5MT

--

I don't really know anything about outside-cylindered steam locos - to be honest, I wouldn't choose H0 if I wanted to have very many of them. On the positive side, Rapido have shown us with their J70 tram how slender such outside cylinders can be made, just 29mm outside width.

I am not really fussed about the number of spokes on wheels in H0 scale either, but maybe these notes can be useful to someone. It is the overall effect that counts, and most any H0 wagon, coach or diesel loco looks more convincing to me than an 00 one unless the 00 model is sat in a display cabinet. This was a useful and encouraging article.

- Richard.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

--- and perhaps an 00 BR Standard Class 3 2-6-2T could become a H0 Class 4 2-6-4T ?

(Edit: although looking at the picture, the front of the water tanks seems to be a bit too far forward on a Class 3, compared with a Class 4 ...)

Thinking about only the wheels of the two prototypes and staying with Mike Sharman's book:

Standard class 3 2-6-2T:

Leading and trailing wheels 3' scale up to 36 * 87/76 = 41", which is overscale for the 3' of the class 4 prototype

Driving wheels 5'3" scale up to 63* 87/76 = 72", which is underscale for the 5'8" of the prototype

I would not be terribly worried about wheels being 1mm too big or too small, but a conversion might look a bit odd if some wheels are 1mm too big and some are 1mm too small. Then again, the class 3 model is so old we might want to fit new wheels all round.

- Richard.

• Like 2