Items of commercial interest for British H0

Allegheny1600

10 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

I think the Playcraft coaches are a scale 57' long, which means they might work with Worsley Works' Mk 1 suburban (non-corridor) sides - http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/1-87/1-87_Coach.htm?LMCL=r6eDwA

Totally agree with Andy, the wheels look amazing. Are they P87?

Yes. Proto:87, quickly dug out from from my spares box but only 10.5 mm dia , so a scale 3 ft dia. Which is somewhat under size for a UK coach scale model.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ian, what amazed me was that when I resized the original drawng to HO, the Terrier chassis was near enough spot on, jus need to remove part of chassis one end(and then reconnect pickups that end).The position of motor might be a problem visually, which is why the newr chassis might be better, but obviously more expensive.

My design is based on the KESR version. Looking at the LSWR Beattie book, there were quite a few changes and mods over the years, but most were hidden under the saddle tank.

Hopefully will have design finished today. One reason I do the occasional loco, especially singe version ones as I am doing with this one , is that they can be done relatively quick, so make a change from more varied designs which require more research. Luckily anything with a colonel Stephens connection is well documented, mainly thanks to Les Darbyshire, although it is always a good idea to have some photos of the real thing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

The position of motor might be a problem visually, which is why the newr chassis might be better, but obviously more expensive.

This is the chassis from the new Hornby Terrier:

P1010919.jpg.5c5a6bcb0602547bc0d2644687a96377.jpg

I have since sold this model on, so no more photos possible. This particular chassis ran well, and was much quieter than the old model.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

One advantage the new chassis has, is the representation of under belly of boiler, so probably could get away with that, as there is some daylight underneath.

Design finished and up and ready

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/3d_printed_sg-trains1.htm

Another chassis that would fit is the old Triang TT Jinty with 16.5m gauge wheels(I converted one many years ago using Romford wheels). Only problem is that the motor ends up in cab.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Thanks, just ordered a copy. BTW it seems the Cork, Brandon & South Coast / Great Southern Railway locos didn't stray far from Cork.

Edited by Ian Simpson

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, rue_d_etropal said:

...I would need to find a small enough chassis though to fit my 3.14mm/ft version,

Or people could use the H0 version running on EM track.

Although I've never heard of anyone actually doing this ...

Edited by Ian Simpson

HO scale 5ft3in has been done. At least one article  in magazines a few years ago, but for me EM is more difficult,

One reason I support British HO is that I can use easy to get track and mechanisms. Finding a chassis to fit this loco would be difficult, but irronically the Terrier chassis is pretty close to many standard 5ft 3in gauge locos, and for a tender loco, motor can be in the tender. I suppose with a tank loco, I could have a permantly attached motorized wagon. I enjoy a challenge, but only one I believe I can complete, even if I have to change the rules to suit. If I can find something to build my ideas on then I will grow those ideas. It might be easier to follow the crowd, but that can be boring and I don't enjoy being bored.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2020 at 01:12, rue_d_etropal said:

One reason I support British HO is that I can use easy to get track and mechanisms. Finding a chassis to fit this loco would be difficult, but irronically the Terrier chassis is pretty close to many standard 5ft 3in gauge locos, and for a tender loco, motor can be in the tender. I suppose with a tank loco, I could have a permantly attached motorized wagon. I enjoy a challenge, but only one I believe I can complete, even if I have to change the rules to suit.

I think it is great to have the option of a proprietary chassis, but do remember everyone's skill set is different.

I suggest you provide a scale drawing of the frames to purchasers of your body shells. This would give the purchaser the option of trying to build their own chassis, with the knowledge there is a fallback out there.

It seems a shame to be marrying up 1960s Triang TT with 2020s printing technology. We can do better nowadays.

- Richard.

Richard, I am trying to help people, by giving them a start place, the loco body. I have found that some seem to appreciate that and are willing to sort out a chassis themselves.

I could just do designs that fit r2r chassis, but from experience in the hobby, there are 2 big problems. Sometimes designs have to be changed dramatically, so it becomes a freelance design, or(and sometimes 'and')  manufacturers stop producing a loco or change the design making it difficult to source that chassis.

The old Triang TT chassis is not that bad, it is another option. I am not telling people to use this or that. Part of the hobby is solving problems, unless people prefer a hobby where you just follow the instructions. Even then kit building can be too difficult for some. I have found kits are sometimes more difficult than scratchbuilding.

HO is just one of the scales I do designs for. One big advantage of 3D printing is that models can be done in virtually any scale, opening up the hobby, not restricting it to the scales the traditional manufacturers want us to use.

• RMweb Premium

I am thinking of a simple sketch of the frames, that's all. Actually, one frame would do. With the outline of the frame needed to fit the body, and the centres for the axles. Such a sketch would allow for the compromises you found necessary during the design of the body.

It seems fairly easy for you to do this, because you know the internal dimensions of the body.

I offer the idea as a suggestion, it is not meant as a criticism of your efforts.

- Richard.

itmight sound easy, but if anyone asks I can send them drawings which show model from all sides. I think diffenent people have different ideas on chassis. Most industrial type locos would need a handbuilt chassis. The KESR loco is one of the bigger ones, and by chance wheelbase and diameter is same(or very near) to Terrier in OO.

I only offer HO because I can, and it just might get someone interested. I would probably go for a bigger scale(1/32) for small industrial locos as I alreadty have a boxfile /lever arch file based mini layout using 45mm gauge track(have not decided whether to do British standard gauge in 1/32 or Irish 5ft 3in in 1/35 scale).

For British HO I would probably use mainly railcars as they are easier to motorise. I have all the bits and have a couple of small layouts already. For industrial steam I have one of the superb Liliput fireless o-4-0 locos.

• RMweb Gold

The print of Simon's LSWR 330 class saddle tank arrived this morning. It does sit a bit high on the original Hornby Terrier chassis at the moment ...

44718048_3DSimonLSWR330a.jpg.8fbb31e662fc406851763e389e9810bc.jpg

... but that's because the underside of the boiler and the inside of the running plate will need to  be cut away to make room for the motor:

1570527466_3DSimonLSWR330b.jpg.02251c983fa4d6c30076a80a2a2822f9.jpg

So I agree with Simon and Richard that the new Terrier chassis looks more promising.

For purists the wheelbase of the Terrier is a bit long and the splashers don't quite match up. But I don't think it will be very noticeable, because the splashers were so small and unobtrusive on a Class 330.

@Killian keane's Small Loco Works LBSCR E1 also arrived in the parcel. As this was specifically designed for the Terrier chassis, it will only need a bit of light work (a tiny bit of trimming and packing) to make it sit properly:

180809583_3DSmallLocoWorksLBSCRE1.jpg.430ccece84490f0b88215526f144ad14.jpg

The parcel also included @Javier L's LBSCR horse box and his 15' bolster truck, which will make an ideal freelance carriage wagon. The horse box buffers and slats are included; they have been printed on the inside of the box. I must add that I've been really impressed by the quality of his mid-range material option. 

Incidentally his horse box will take the discontinued Bachmann John Bull tender drive (that's the black box on the right of the photo), so it can push an unpowered loco.

842289929_3DJavierLBSCRhorseboxandbolster.jpg.1e275715c4e91bdca28521220a4d8b7b.jpg

Finally, an out-of-focus photo to show how I am opening out Simon's 16 ton steel coal wagon print. I found one needs to apply quite a bit of pressure to the outside of the axle boxes when opening them out, hence the G clamp:1358203073_3DSimon16tcoal.jpg.f31ecb4c3218897980ad8c35bb44e1a9.jpg

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Pierre Dominique are offering the REE Fourgon again:

https://www.pierredominique.com/art-77895-fourgon-dev-49240-sud-ouest-sncf-avec-feux-fin-convoi.html

I am not an expert on these, but I have a feeling one some new foot boards and an anchor symbol would convert one of these into the baggage wagon used for the Night Ferry?

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Pierre Dominique are offering the REE Fourgon again:

https://www.pierredominique.com/art-77895-fourgon-dev-49240-sud-ouest-sncf-avec-feux-fin-convoi.html

I am not an expert on these, but I have a feeling one some new foot boards and an anchor symbol would convert one of these into the baggage wagon used for the Night Ferry?

- Richard.

The fourgons used on the Night Ferry were different, particularly with regard to the roof profile.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The fourgons used on the Night Ferry were different, particularly with regard to the roof profile.

Thanks Joseph. I thought it was too good to be true.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I think I have a drawing somewhere. Seem to remember finding photos of one van that still exists in France

There are drawings in the book on the Night Ferry by Behrend and Buchanan.

This is one of those occasions when I've posted something I thought would be useful to people, got my facts wrong, and wish I'd never mentioned it!

- Richard.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Richard ,

I would rather someone spoke out, even if they then found they were wrong, if it means there is discussion which leeds to more info. I have orderd a copy of that book. Not sure if I had come across it before, but if I had I was not sure what was in it.

I found a series of photos of the train , probably taken in final year. Good photos of the vans. The drawing I have matches one of the vans,definitely lower roof than that model . Drawing scales out at 8ft 6in wide, so roof is also British loading gauge. Sliding doors both sides, door to central 'office' only on one side.  Just trying to get a better view of the other van to check if identical.

• Like 2