Items of commercial interest for British H0

Allegheny1600

Also looked at drawings of earlier SR version in book by Mike King. This version has the birdcage roof in centre. Drawing shows guard had a door on both sides.

It is odd that one of the models on that website shows one of the later versions of the van with a birdcage roof. It might have been one of the ones which did not survive till the 70s.

Frustrating thing is, I had just started working  and living in London in Augut 1980, so could have got down to Victoria and seen Night Ferry myself, just before it stopped running.

Just found drawings in Novemver 1975 issue of Railway Modeller

Edited by rue_d_etropal
more info

Just come across a range of modern coaches in mainly Scottish but some UK wide (eg Barnes) colours in 1:87 scale.  https://buckiemodelcentre.com/?s=VDL .  I also see that the Yardley Wood Bus Club are advertising the Brekina Routemasters at £25 each. no website but phone Peter Turland 07814 403173 or email turland@btinternet.com.

Tony Comber

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

That looks like the Great British Locomotives series model. If it is it's 4mm scale.

yes definitely looks like the GBL 4mm scale one. Quite often find OO described as HO in foreign outlets. Difficult enough for experienced modellers , but totally confusing for less experienced. Confusing scale and gauge.

Having said that I sometimes refer to OO gauge mixed up with OO scale when we know that OO gauge is in fact HO gauge.

Ironlcallyone of the locos in that series was actually HO Scale, namely the early loco, I think called Locomotion. It is thought that these models were somehow scanned from original Triang Hornby and early Bachmann, and Bachmann also did a static model of Locomotion in O scale, so it would not have been difficult to  reduce it by half.

Pity they just did not do new original mode which is the norm for continental magazine collections. Wouldnot have helped us as would probably have still been done in 4mm/ft.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2020 at 10:09, HonestTom said:

I have always felt the class 81 is a 1:87 scale model, simply by measuring the width and the bogies really, but it does look a little underscale next to a Lima coach. This doesn't trouble me much as I am modelling a freight operation at the moment.

It's nice to see these models can still be had.

I converted one to a working model, and wrote it up on my blog, if this is of interest:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/21589-aei-class-81/

- Richard.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Ironlcallyone of the locos in that series was actually HO Scale, namely the early loco, I think called Locomotion. It is thought that these models were somehow scanned from original Triang Hornby and early Bachmann, and Bachmann also did a static model of Locomotion in O scale, so it would not have been difficult to  reduce it by half.

I think Locomotion was actually 1:96 scale, being a half-size version of the Bachmann special which was 1:48 scale (US 0 scale).

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

21 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I think Locomotion was actually 1:96 scale, being a half-size version of the Bachmann special which was 1:48 scale (US 0 scale).

Their The Atlas Editions (thanks, Simon!) Nord Crampton is around 3.2 mm scale. A shame from a British H0 perspective, as the South Eastern and the LNWR were quite fond of these locos in the 1840s.

I'm no purist, but a Crampton locomotive should definitely be larger than a Norris (on the right of the photo).

474225681_Crampton2.jpg.fbe072a917e7ea2b6835488b49f8fe20.jpg

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

Their Nord Crampton is around 3.2 mm scale. A shame from a British H0 perspective, as the South Eastern and the LNWR were quite fond of these locos in the 1840s.

I'm no purist, but a Crampton locomotive should definitely be larger than a Norris (on the right of the photo).

474225681_Crampton2.jpg.fbe072a917e7ea2b6835488b49f8fe20.jpg

I though most of that Atlas Editions collection was 3mm/ft, but I suppose someone thought that models in the collection should  the same size, so the Crampton ended up slightly bigger. Were there any Cramptons operating on 5ft 3in gauge? That would come out pretty close to 16.5mm gauge.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Tucked away near the bottom of the Brawa catalogue (page 60 of 68) is a relivery of the Sffggmrrss articulated bogie container wagon in mid green FS and blue AAE liveries.

https://www.brawa.de/fileadmin/Kundendaten/Downloads/Broschueren/BRAWA_Neuheiten_2021_DE.pdf

These have not been available for several years and the originals fetch very good money on eBay so I find them welcome although I expect them to be expensive anyway.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Tucked away near the bottom of the Brawa catalogue (page 60 of 68) is a relivery of the Sffggmrrss articulated bogie container wagon in mid green FS and blue AAE liveries.

https://www.brawa.de/fileadmin/Kundendaten/Downloads/Broschueren/BRAWA_Neuheiten_2021_DE.pdf

These have not been available for several years and the originals fetch very good money on eBay so I find them welcome although I expect them to be expensive anyway.

Modellbahnshop Lippe are listing them at just shy of 100 Euros with 'reservation possible'. This is of course just fine for you expats, because in the current Brexit fallout the UK remains as just about the only territory in the World they won't ship to!

On a more serious note, the Brawa catalogue shows the models with containers of a much more modern design and in keeping with the prototypes. The containers supplied with the earlier releases were rather old-fashioned and to be honest just "wrong".

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
typo
  • Like 2

I've had two parcels from Modellbahnshop Lippe since the beginning of the year without any problems!

I don't know where this nonsense about them no longer shipping to the UK came from!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, HSB said:

I've had two parcels from Modellbahnshop Lippe since the beginning of the year without any problems!

I don't know where this nonsense about them no longer shipping to the UK came from!

Well, I was looking at their page of shipping rates and I couldn't find the UK. That's my excuse anyway! I'm glad you are receiving parcels ok; I've always found them an excellent supplier.

- Richard.

Just browsing - I don't normally look at this section, but as an industrial modeller in EM gauge I was, many years ago, rather disappointed to discover that my Backwoods Miniatures Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns crane tank was to 3.5mm scale instead of 4mm. if you check the dimensions of the drawings from the Railway Modeller in the early 70's you will find they are also 3.5mm, although labelled as 00, so this is obviously the source of the error. Out of production, mind, but useful if you can get one.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Something a little different but maybe of interest to @Ian Simpson, a French firm by the name of Est Models appears to be promising a range of very early locos of types 2-2-2, 2-4-0, 0-4-2 and 0-6-0 at some point in the future.

http://www.est-modeles.com/51b5c309_8e19_46f7_8bb6_3413484c1965.html

I thought the 2-2-2 has the look of many early British types, at least.

The same firm is also doing a Crampton, or rather, numerous variations of such;

http://www.est-modeles.com/996c77fc_9fa5_4868_bc3d_9b2dae6cf284.html

These look amazing but the kit is 385 Euros plus shipping! Apparently, the bodywork is very high quality 3D printed so one of the selling points is that these kits are easy to assemble.

Obviously, being French, everything is correctly 1/87 H0 scale!

It’s not British but when they do the PO/SNCF 4-8-0, I’m going for one as I’ve always said that’s the one loco I most covet!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

\Many thanks, John. They do look rather wonderful, especially that rather-LNWR-looking Single!

As you noted, price may be a issue :(   ,,,   but then I'd be saying the same if I was a 4 mm modeller drolling over Hornby's Rocket and Lion.

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Those French kits look inviting, but I do like the cautionary advice, courtesy of Google Translate - "The only difficulty of these kits, the embalming."

Does that mean they're dead to scale? :mosking:

• Funny 5

• 4 weeks later...

Rather surprisingly, the American accessory producer, Slyvan Scale models is offering a British outline container ship;

https://www.sylvanscalemodels.com/whatsnew.htm

At $475.95 (plus shipping!) and nearly 40” long, it’s not the sort of model many of us will aspire to but being a British prototype and H0 scale, I thought it worthy of mention.

I suspect it was chosen as these ships did serve North America and they are actually quite small for relatively modern container ships. For example, the recently (in)famous Ever Given would be about 15 feet long in our scale.

I found a Wikipedia page for this shipping line: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Liners but I couldn’t find mention of the Manchester Murcurio but anyone capable of building such a model should be able to change the name.

Sadly, it’s not of interest to me As I already have a model ship, an r/c model of 53” length and I can’t justify another one but I hope it’s of some interest out there.

Cheers,
John

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Digging around online:

(1) She carried the name Manchester Murcurio until 1980, when she returned to Spain and was renamed Folita.

(2) She was renamed 'Anna X' in 1982, then 'Isamar' in 1991. Photographed at the Port of Goole in 2013, so evidence of operations in Britain, and status marked as "dead".

(3) Doing a search on IMO 7117046 I've found the 'Phoenix II', "a General Cargo Ship registered and sailing under the flag of Cyprus".

(4) Trying to search for "Phoenix II" is hopeless because there are many other vessels with the same name, but staying with IMO 7117046 I ended up with the builder being MARITIMA DEL MUSEL - GIJON, SPAIN.

Link (4) also gives another intermediate name, 'Navy Progress' from 1980-82.

Hmm! My layout is supposed to be set in 2012. This model would be a superb backdrop, in place of a printed backscene. Just a sky behind it. I wonder how much skill these kits need? And is a model this size self-supporting or does it need to be put on a shelf before moving it?

I'll put this on the "wish list". It would make a change from model trains, and it would be a self-contained project with a well-defined ending. My layouts just go on and on.

- Richard.

Sources:

(1) http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/manchester.shtml

(2) http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1785002

(3) http://www.vesseltracking.net/ship/phoenix-ii-7117046

(4) http://maritime-connector.com/ship/phoenix-ii-7117046/print/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Richard,

Having such a ship as a backdrop is exactly what I had planned for my erstwhile layout, Flixborough Exchange sidings! My ship, the Kia L was to serve even though she is/was a general cargo vessel rather than a steel carrier, I still have the model though and hope to resurrect this idea.

I originally got this idea from an old 1990s Model Railroader magazine where the port of Los Angles was represented in a space of around 8 feet iirc.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Modellbahn Union have announced a model of the Rbmms 55 ferry wagon:

https://www.modellbahnunion.com/HO-OO-gauge/freight-car-ferryboat-spine-wagon-Rbmms-55-DB.htm?shop=dm-toys-en&a=article&ProdNr=MU-H0-G50001&p=802

I think it is a bit of a shame they have chosen a prototype already done (by Liliput) but perhaps these wagons were very common in their day? I expect the level of detail will be to today's standards. Also we can get this wagon with a variety of loads including a pair of Land Rovers.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1