Cheapest decoder for point motor

StuartN

I would go with DR4018 for the solenoid motors and Dr4024 for the servo motors - both relatively cheap. 

The computer operation (not programming) is actually irrelevant as the computer will talk to your command station and the command station wi issue and accessory command to switch the motors - that is why I wondered if you meant programming, which you don't :)

You might find it easier to standardise your point motors as they will potentially need different power supplies and accessory decoders.

Solenoid point motors like the Peco PL10 and Gaugemaster Seep need, in my experience, a capacitor discharge unit to supply a high enough charge to reliably switch the points.

Merg members can buy a decoder kit that includes a CDU and controls four points. It works well but the solenoid point motors are just nasty.

Last summer I replaced ~ 40 Peco point motors due to unreliability and fitted MTB-MP1 motorised point motors with Digikeijs DR4018 accessory decoders and they worked perfectly at the layout's last show (Warley 2019).

Note that I tested the DR4018 on my n gauge test track first. It had Seep point motors at the time and I couldn't get the solenoids to throw reliably. 

Apart from signals I have never used servos so I can't comment on them.

As we found last year, the cheapest option won't necessessarily be the best and you may end up getting very frustrated with your choice and then spending more money to do the job properly.

That said the MERG boards are cheap and they do throw the PECO solenoids reliably. The DR4018 are good value (8 points for ~£33) work well with motorised points but NOT solenoids.

Edited by Gavin Liddiard

• RMweb Premium
On 18/01/2020 at 22:25, Dagworth said:

The ESU Switch pilot decoder can operate both solenoid and servo point machines http://www.esu.eu/en/products/switchpilot/switchpilot-v20/

Andi

It does indeed operate up to 4 solenoid or motors and 2 servo motors. If you have lots more servos, then their Servo Pilot operates 4 servos. I operate them with RocRail so assume JMRI would be the same.

Edited by JimFin