Transfers Inside Windows/ Reversed

Jamiel

I have a set of Fox transfers I was about to apply to the inside of some windows on a multiple unit, and I realised that I don’t know if they are printed on the same side as the adhesive (reversed from the usual transfers).

The set is for ‘First Class’ and ‘No Smoking’ symbols in the 1950/60s BR days (they now do bigger separate sheets for each symbol than the one I have which is FRH 4019: 4mm/OO).

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/first-class-window-graphics-58263

I can go and try them and let you know the results, but I am sure there must be modellers here who have encountered this question and no doubt will have some good advice before I make a start.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

I did a test using the ‘Fox TRANSFERS’ logo from the bottom of the sheet. I wrecked the ‘x’ in process, but discovered that the transfers seem to stick on both sides. I hope this is permanent as I then went ahead and did the ‘first class’ and ‘first class, no smoking’ windows in the DMU unit I am working on.

Class120_143.jpg

As seen here. I also discovered that Fox transfers do not have a surrounding area of film, which is really good for the window work.

Class120_144.jpg

For doing transfers as small as this I use a bottle top for the warm water, tweezers and a scalpel.

Class120_145.jpg

Any other experiences people have would interesting to hear.

Jamie

A quick update, I brushed some dust from the inside of the unit with a large soft brush and it moved one of the 'First Class' stickers, so I don't think they are adhesive on both sides. I suspect it is just that it fried in that place, and so hold to the window rather than being stuck to it. I forget what the word is for that type of loose, but not sealed bond is.

I am wondering if I could dab a tiny bit of something like washing up liquid on the transfer that has moved to make it stick, or perhaps some watered down PVA. I would use a cocktail stick to add the tiniest amount.

Any thoughts.

I am also posting this in my ‘Ellerby’ layout thread. Linked below.

20 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

A quick update, I brushed some dust from the inside of the unit with a large soft brush and it moved one of the 'First Class' stickers, so I don't think they are adhesive on both sides. I suspect it is just that it fried in that place, and so hold to the window rather than being stuck to it. I forget what the word is for that type of loose, but not sealed bond is.

I am wondering if I could dab a tiny bit of something like washing up liquid on the transfer that has moved to make it stick, or perhaps some watered down PVA. I would use a cocktail stick to add the tiniest amount.

Any thoughts.

I am also posting this in my ‘Ellerby’ layout thread. Linked below.

I can't speak for Fox transfers, but my (Cambridge Custom Transfers) window labels are intended to be applied to the inside of the window.

Nonetheless, I always apply a coat of Klear to the inside of the window in order to seal the transfer; once dried, the Klear is invisible.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...