MRJ 276

micknich2003

• RMweb Premium

Now here too. Quite a lot of Great Western stuff but given the quality of the modelling, one can overlook that. 

Somehow Settle-Carlisle layouts don't quite make it for me any more - it's just too much to hope to capture the windswept grandeur of Garsdale, Dentdale, or Ribblesdale in the space available. I've yet to be convinced by a model of a Settle-Carlisle viaduct - they're never big enough. The standard arch span is 45 ft - 180 mm in 4 mm scale. Arten Gill, the most artistically satisfying of them all, is 220 yards long - nearly 9 ft at 4 mm scale - and 117 ft high - 18 inches. The recent Hills of the North exhibition layout works because it represents a stretch of plain line devoid of infrastructure (except discreetly at one end, as the line curves away) or major civil engineering structures. 

A really good model of the mountains of Craven in T or smaller might change my mind!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Now in stock at Titfield.

Personally I thought the S&C layout was magnificent, it certainly "did it" for me.  And I think it was OO too, previously Railway of the Month in RM November 2013 according to the article - top layout!!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2020 at 17:40, Not Jeremy said:

Personally I thought the S&C layout was magnificent, it certainly "did it" for me.  And I think it was OO too, previously Railway of the Month in RM November 2013 according to the article - top layout!!

Simon

Ian is one of our Devon Riviera Area Group members. His meticulous modelling is an inspiration to us.

On 21/01/2020 at 16:46, Compound2632 said:

Somehow Settle-Carlisle layouts don't quite make it for me any more - it's just too much to hope to capture the windswept grandeur of Garsdale, Dentdale, or Ribblesdale in the space available. I've yet to be convinced by a model of a Settle-Carlisle viaduct - they're never big enough. The standard arch span is 45 ft - 180 mm in 4 mm scale. Arten Gill, the most artistically satisfying of them all, is 220 yards long - nearly 9 ft at 4 mm scale - and 117 ft high - 18 inches. The recent Hills of the North exhibition layout works because it represents a stretch of plain line devoid of infrastructure (except discreetly at one end, as the line curves away) or major civil engineering structures. 

This is our scale length rendition of a viaduct in the deep south!

222146294_ViaductS4um2a.jpg.dba7ac3ff5fe32074e5d131955182296.jpg1787108444_ViaductS4um1a.jpg.ca2e465d44a9d72d6088dd90c967687c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I was merely expressing a personal opinion on the challenge presented in modelling the Settle & Carlisle. It is interesting in this context that David Jenkinson - whose publications must be the inspiration for many S&C layouts, not least my teenage effort - abandoned work on his O gauge Long Drag in favour of a layout based on a might-have-been branch to Kendal.  

I should say that aspects of Ian's layout are very well-observed and superbly modelled, notably the local buildings. However, it is evident that the viaduct is under-scale* - unlike the Ouse Viaduct model (which I saw in the flesh at Scaleforum in September); that model does illustrate just how much space one does need to do a viaduct justice. 

*I've driven often enough up Dentdale and under the bridge at the south end of Dent Head viaduct to appreciate just how huge these structures are.

• RMweb Premium

Mine has just arrived and it looks like a good issue to me. As I am shortly going to be helping a friend design a new layout, I looked at the S & C one, which is something along the lines of what he has in mind and wondered "How big is it and would something like that fit the available space?".

Am I missing something or is that information absent?

Perhaps somebody on here can help me with that detail?

I don't really agree with the editorial. "I drew it in CAD and had it 3D printed" is not something that interests me in the slightest. I don't see any difference between buying a cast metal component or a 3D printed one to help me build what I want but creating or buying almost finished 3D models doesn't interest me and I won't be changing my own modelling techniques to "hi tech" any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

An interesting issue. I must reread the locoshed article as there are several useful ideas.

Re the S&C layout the answer must be large. You can get a feel because he quotes the length of his viaduct which can be measured on the plan.

One gripe, and it is not the first time it has happened. The owner of ModelU is called Buttler with two "t"s.

There are also rather too many typos, including in the title of the South Weareing Light Railway article! But it is nice to see an article from someone who does not take things too seriously - but still produces very nice models.

BTW it is no use trying to buy one of the SECR vans as it was sold out prior to release.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
Add a sentence

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

An interesting issue. I must reread the locoshed article as there are several useful ideas.

Re the S&C layout the answer must be large. You can get a feel because he quotes the length of his viaduct which can be measured on the plan.

One gripe, and it is not the first time it has happened. The owner of ModelU is called Buttler with two "t"s.

There are also rather too many typos, including in the title of the South Weareing Light Railway article! But it is nice to see an article from someone who does not take things too seriously - but still produces very nice models.

BTW it is no use trying to buy one of the SECR vans as it was sold out prior to release.

Jonathan

I must be going blind as I have now read the article and missed any reference to the length of the viaduct. If it is 9 Wills arches long, that is around 4ft in old money.

So that would make the layout somewhere around 30ft long, so perhaps the reference to not having 30ft available at the start is a clue!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There isn't a photo of the whole viaduct but it's based on Dent Head and looks as if it has the full ten arches. Dent Head is 199 yards long, 7'10" long at 4 mm/ft scale. One photo shows a G2 and seven wagons on half the viaduct, that' very roughly 2'9", so the whole viaduct must be 70% of full scale. The span of each arch is roughly a wagon and a half, again about 70% of the prototype's 44 ft/45 ft span.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

There isn't a photo of the whole viaduct but it's based on Dent Head and looks as if it has the full ten arches. Dent Head is 199 yards long, 7'10" long at 4 mm/ft scale. One photo shows a G2 and seven wagons on half the viaduct, that' very roughly 2'9", so the whole viaduct must be 70% of full scale. The span of each arch is roughly a wagon and a half, again about 70% of the prototype's 44 ft/45 ft span.

The caption on page 10 states that it is nine arches, deliberately missing an arch to prevent the model from being too dominant.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, figworthy said:

The caption on page 10 states that it is nine arches, deliberately missing an arch to prevent the model from being too dominant.

But surely dominant is exactly what it ought to be?

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

I found this an absolutely wonderful issue this time. 

Lovely work by our own Ian Nuttall. Very interesting article on the 54XX by Jerry and Gerry and I am in complete and utter awe of the meticulous fine work by John Darch (as I am by his work in his thread on here as well, of course).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

MRJ just arrived.

Yet again nothing of particular interest, but also yet again another great issue.

If you can't admire or learn something from MRJ you're in the wrong hobby IMHO.

Mike.

Or just maybe reading the wrong periodical for what floats your particular boat? 

Just sayin'.....

Personally  I find MRJ is a bit like may fine things - It gets better with some age on its back.

I may take issue 2 out of the well preserved pile that are waiting for a read directly......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

On the assumption you are talking about the Rails of Sheffield 3D printed RTR SECR Box van then the answer it to carefully watch the RMweb thread and Rails of Sheffield.

On January 17th a further 30 of each of the 6 variations were announced as being available, and they sold out the same day.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143946-rails-announce-secr-box-van-in-oo/&do=findComment&comment=3805546

So if you want one, watch carefully and be prepared to act quickly.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is the trackplan in colour. The text should read Dentdale and Dent station.

The overall size is 20'6" x 12'6".

Its a magnificent layout and as good an attempt to capture the wide, open spaces of the prototype as I've seen. To criticise it for only modelling nine rather than the full ten arches kind of misses the point really.

An excellent issue from Gerry. I particularly enjoyed John Darch's piece on Worseter shed. The crispness and consistency in all that repetitive work displayed in the louvers, vents and walkways is really impressive - he cant get away with the sort of short cuts I take in 2mm! 

Jerry

Dent_and_Dentdale_001_Captioned.jpg.e6ab3a992d2be7e09627352cd710cd5e.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Jerry. It just shows how an illusion of space can be made to happen! I was sure it must be bigger. The room my friend has to work with is around 19ft x 16ft, so something like that would go in there with not much alteration. That is why I raised the question in the first place!

If I was building that viaduct, I would be thinking "Three arches in each Wills kit, so 9 makes sense". If he hadn't mentioned it in the caption, how many would have even noticed!

That is a lovely layout.

I also really enjoyed the loco shed article. It is my sort of article. The processes, materials and techniques are described fully and in such a way that I could go to my workbench and try them out. I have built many buildings but there are a few tricks there that I can see will be useful.

The other articles are good too but not of immediate personal interest. That doesn't stop me enjoying them.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Its a magnificent layout and as good an attempt to capture the wide, open spaces of the prototype as I've seen. To criticise it for only modelling nine rather than the full ten arches kind of misses the point really.

My comment was on the under-scale dimensions of the viaduct, rather than the number of arches, and was intended to be an observation on Settle & Carlisle viaduct models in general, not just this particular layout. Perhaps they're best done in 2 mm/ft scale...

I apologise for any offence I may have given in expressing a personal preference.