Rookie Workbench (Slater's Lowfit)

commsbloke

There’s supposed to be strip added underneath to form the channels (if you want to that is) and then the triangular pieces (left in my photo) goes on top of these, I personally add these before adding the axleguards. 

Nothing wrong with your soldering 

michael 

23 minutes ago, mike hughes said:

There’s supposed to be strip added underneath to form the channels (if you want to that is) and then the triangular pieces (left in my photo) goes on top of these, I personally add these before adding the axleguards. 

Nothing wrong with your soldering 

michael 

Thanks Mike

The strip I was giving a miss as I could not see how it was forming a U channel.
I was leaving the triangular and diamond shaped pieces until later. Mainly because the of the number of times i was taking the buffers and couplings out and looking at it now four of them also block the brake arms.

Just had a catch up on the thread.  I've a spare pair of slaters ends, and the first versions were new in my time frame...

When I was at Toton, there were 3 air brake conversions in use as a store, so had the sense to get a few close ups, plus luckily, a few shots of the door gear with the doors open..

VEA ZRA

The coupling support mentioned earlier is seen, quite common when long buffers are used with the instanter coupling.  You can see that there are 2 parts, the 'mouth immediately behind the RCH drawhooh, and the steel section that 'stands' it off the headstock.

1899696381_vanwide10275545066_31e0d6ec0d_o(1).jpg.b173f74b826b053db1833c21dfd7f75d.jpg

This is the bottom rail for the doors...

358104217_vanwide10275544106_5d74f73f30_o.jpg.f4348429a11f7af41f4662bb41a42693.jpg

Finally a shot from under one corner...

436979876_vanwide10275578415_ac99464af3_o.jpg.c3edb00f869979e15b8eb5529d4744aa.jpg

I need to check out what buffers they were built with...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Will definitely follow your progress,  I bought the same kit last week and it is my first Slaters kit

Welcome aboard, at my rate of progress you may finish before me.

My latest news is that I thought the 40 thou end to end airpipes looked a little thin so I have ordered some 1.5mm brass rod. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, commsbloke said:

My latest news is that I thought the 40 thou end to end airpipes looked a little thin so I have ordered some 1.5mm brass rod. 

Easier and cheaper to just not take photos on a mirror:)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, commsbloke said:

Welcome aboard, at my rate of progress you may finish before me.

I always use brass tube or rod to represent vacuum pipes:

P1010034.JPG.03fef769150dc0d3869b96ab8df7ae1b.JPG

Same diameter as the Slater's cast pipe ends.

John

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

That looks good.  I haven't tried too hard to get the short link like you have.  I did have a go but it was a faff.  If you have curves, the stock maybe too close.  Do you have a coupling tool?

A big advantage of 7mm for me is that I can finally use prototype couplings.  I spent 30 years messing about with Kadees.

Another tip is to solder the link gaps which looks better.

John

Edited by brossard

10 minutes ago, brossard said:

That looks good.  I haven't tried too hard to get the short link like you have.  I did have a go but it was a faff.  If you have curves, the stock maybe too close.  Do you have a coupling tool?

A big advantage of 7mm for me is that I can finally use prototype couplings.  I spent 30 years messing about with Kadees.

Another tip is to solder the link gaps which looks better.

John

No curves and no points yet just a yard of track on the dining room table.

Funny that you mentioned a coupling tool, I have just been reading about torches with a length of hooked brass attached. No desperate need yet with one loco and nearly one wagon but this is on the list.

A little solder on the links is now also on the list, thanks for the tip.

I do have the boards made for my layout but no track laid yet.

I made a couple of coupling tools which are really a piece of cake:

P1010002-003.JPG.edf484ab81d74ade2d4217264e596d42.JPG

Bright torch with thumb switch.  Dowels and some steel wire bent and sharpened.  All cobbled together with electrical tape.  I have used these at a show and they work well. 

Another contributor here wanted to use a magnet but he was having trouble finding non magnetic links.

John

My 1.5mm rod arrived today so a bit of work on the vacuum pipeworkP2077432.jpg.833f2175f90d4720d1512f8cadbf59cd.jpg

I started drilled a 0.8mm hole in the pipe for the smaller pipe that goes to the cylinder and then tinned.
Glued in place and then fitted the small pipe
P2077437.jpg.d42f1260bebc998161c5e9235f49e8e5.jpg

That brake lever looks like it could do with some cleaning up.

While the iron was hot had a play with the cam on the brake lever. That was a pig of a job next time I will solder them to a shaft and drill the V hanger to fit. Again a little more clean up required.
P2067431.jpg.b6e1559079d1351a78680ec8659bf675.jpg

Finally today a little bid of bracing as discussed earlier in the thread.
P2077438.jpg.bb4771d4c5d89555dcc038eb675300ab.jpg

• Like 6

Well that laminating the cam onto the brake lever was a waste of time and swears. The cam fits below the break lever not on it. I think that it is fixed now though.

p2107445.jpg.8982af975fb23e0e9175016c54264ec5.jpg

Point to note, the guide that the brake lever goes through (Where it is pinned on) is very fragile. Great care is neededl when cutting it from the sprue.

• Like 2

Lots of lessons to learn.  :drink_mini:

The brake guide is fragile.  I have had it break on some of my wagons.  One way to strengthen is to make a strut (check the photo above, you should see it).  Overlength brass strip is best.  I start by drilling a hole and soldering wire into it.  I then drill a hole in the W iron opposite to the end of the guide.  Then it is trial and error to get the strut to be the right length and angle.  When the strut is right drill another hole at the other end, but don't cut it to length right away. 

Use CA to secure the pin in the W iron and slip another pin at the guide.  This will give you a much stronger assembly.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mike hughes said:

If you ever do a Morton 4-shoe wagon from slaters, you'll discover that the safety loops for the brakeshoes are just as fragile and more difficult to cut out.

Michael

Beat me to it. I've never actually managed to remove one from the sprue intact and now make them out of square brass rod.