Improved Hornby 4-Wheel Coach

Since the 1970s, we had the 4-Wheel Coach from Hornby for nearly fifty years. Then, along came their Track Cleaning Coach with an improved chassis. I think it looks a lot better than the chassis the coach already has. As I am gonna work on an SECR O1 Class 0-6-0, I thought why not add two or three coaches to go with it? So, I did and the result was this.

image.png.45c96c868451c23806f10908caffcab8.pngimage.png.2e4eef5bb743ea2f24019d043eb45974.png

I got the idea from a video I watched on YouTube and decided to try it. A shout-out goes to Jago Hazzard on YouTube for the inspiration, please do go and subscribe to him.

It wasn't easy, but I managed it alright. So far, I started one and the next one is currently underway as well as another one in planning. I decided to choose this beautiful SECR Maroon coach livery over the Wellington Brown livery. The SECR numbering or lettering is a different matter as I should need to find transfers ,probably the Fox brand ones. Then again, in keeping with the 1980s Hornby Railways feel, maybe not.

So, let me know what you think of it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Good morning. What paint did you use?

Cheers

Tom

I used umber brown paint for an undercoat as they were the old Hornby GWR 4-Wheel coaches and then I used Humbrol Railmatch acrylic LMS Crimson. I woke up this morning and I am satisfied pretty much with the result. I should do lining and perhaps some numbering.

I agree - there's an odd recessed section about 1mm high that seems to serve no purpose and could be removed without affecting any pre-applied livery too. Further work would be needed of course: the end will need a similar height removed and I think the side glazing is part of the roof, so that will need removing from the roof and fixing separately.

c6dwzo8.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have just bought a second hand track cleaning coach and would like to repaint it in dept. black but for the life of me I cannot see how to dismantle it for repainting!! Do you have any tips please?

Cheers

Graham

16 hours ago, longie said:

Hi, I have just bought a second hand track cleaning coach and would like to repaint it in dept. black but for the life of me I cannot see how to dismantle it for repainting!! Do you have any tips please?

Cheers

Graham

The roof and windows are a single moulding. Press the window tops in until they spring out, if you are too enthusiastic the roof could split. The underframe is a more difficult proposition as the skates seem to be the last bits fitted so need to be removed first if you want to dismantle it, especially if you want to keep the skates. If you are not bothered about the skates just cut them off. The body is just clipped at the ends, squeeze inwards to release.