Simple as it comes

daryll

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

my first post

For mt first attempt at a model railway , I will keep it as simple as possible

Double track main line , double track junction , large town scene , tunnels at both ends

Fiddle yards both ends , based on southern railway , Bulleid west country , Q1 , plus 2 BIL and 2/4 SUB.

I just like to see trains go by.

Might go DCC , depending on funds and difficulty , would like to have coach lighting , sound etc

Cheers

Daryll 

• RMweb Gold

I relied heavily on the 'KISS' method (Keep It Simple, Stupid) for my current layout which is very successful and reliable.  Simple in my case meant insulfrog turnouts to simplify wiring and one DC feed. I find that a busy BLT with regular coal mine clearances to fit into the passenger schedule and a morning and afternoon pickup as much as I can operate realistically on my own.  A double track junction is pretty complex!

Attention to tracklaying and level rigid baseboards, a cleaning regime for railheads, turnout contacts, wheels and pickups, regular running, standardisation of couplings, the elimination of plastic wheelsets and traction tyres, and a layout location in the heated and ventilated area of the flat ensures very good running, and there is a minimum of wiring and switching to go wrong.  I have a set of pound shop children's paintbrushes which have stiff nylon bristles and are useless as paint brushes, but perfect for regular sweeping of flangeways to keep them clear of debris.  I do not use underlay, as it ruins the running by causing the track to flex beneath the locos.

Welcome to the madness, I mean hobby, and let us all know how you are getting on with your layout!  This is a great place to ask questions; there are no stupid questions, though there are some pretty daft answers!

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2020 at 15:43, Zomboid said:

Far be it from me to comment, but that doesn't sound like "as simple as possible" to me...;)

Hope it works out how you want though.

Sounds very simple to me. Just a double track mainline and a junction. No messing about with sidings or stations etc. It's a good approach because you can get things up and running very quickly indeed. And in my experience, getting trains running quickly is key to maintaining enthusiasm. 

So well done, please post pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A double track junction with all the appropriate interlocking and signalling is not as simple as possible, the OP's intended spec.  He wants to watch trains passing by, and the junction suggests he's thinking about having them standing at signals waiting for a path across it so he can get a good squiz at all that lovely detail.  I'd suggest a goods loop or layby siding to achieve this; the ultimate simplicity is of course an up and down road with no points at all, but you still need them in the fiddle yard.  

DCC seems superfluous on such a basic trackplan, but may still be worth considering for sound fx.