As I was born in 1991, I started model railways when I was 5 or 6 thanks to Hornby Thomas the Tank Engine. Whenever I see this logo, my nostalgia kicks into high gear.

image.png.6bc0638e86f5e22b26b7418ac93e3a52.png

I was born during Hornby Railways' golden age and was amazed by two models such as the LNER D49 and the GWR Saint which I used to own as a kid. However, even though I do not own said-models anymore, I never forgot about them.

image.png.8b36740d13c5adc7799f6dd0612a1826.pngimage.png.a12cf2d06e4bbcc370f5025a9a7de60d.png

This is the style I am going for when making the SECR O1 0-6-0 model, only it is a loco-drive model akin to Hornby's modern Railroad range which is now over ten years old. My take on the Golden Arrow kit of the O1 will have this nostalgic aesthetic and still be a simple yet detailed but robust locomotive complete with Hornby's vaccuum pipes and loco crew just like Hornby's models at the time.

image.png.dfef166623e6daa5deb68534122a93a5.png

This project is gonna be a love letter to a time gone by and a time I was proud and thankful to be part of. I am aware that many modellers are more into the super-detailed models, and so am I, but I do have a soft spot for old models. This is what I hope to acheive from the past. And when the model is done, I hope to find a reproduction Hornby Railways box from the early to mid-1990s to proudly display it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

And here is the model at last.

1060777863_HornbyO1.jpg.76db98980dc32192c85b0c70350bebb9.jpg

The handrails came from a Hornby loco body I had lying around and they were attached on. I know they seem kinda crude, but this was how some models were represented back in the day. The safety valve and tender will be the last items as well as the front numbering. Let me know what you guys think!

• Like 15

Well, the paint I have been using is Reeves grass green acrylic which is just the right match for the SECR green livery. The lime green lining was also equally just about right.

Anyway, thank you all so very much! Thank you, TangoOscarMike. I'm glad you liked the model. It's nearly complete, now.

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2020 at 15:20, LNWR18901910 said:

As I was born in 1991, I started model railways when I was 5 or 6 thanks to Hornby Thomas the Tank Engine. Whenever I see this logo, my nostalgia kicks into high gear.

image.png.6bc0638e86f5e22b26b7418ac93e3a52.png

I was born during Hornby Railways' golden age and was amazed by two models such as the LNER D49 and the GWR Saint which I used to own as a kid. However, even though I do not own said-models anymore, I never forgot about them.

image.png.8b36740d13c5adc7799f6dd0612a1826.pngimage.png.a12cf2d06e4bbcc370f5025a9a7de60d.png

This is the style I am going for when making the SECR O1 0-6-0 model, only it is a loco-drive model akin to Hornby's modern Railroad range which is now over ten years old. My take on the Golden Arrow kit of the O1 will have this nostalgic aesthetic and still be a simple yet detailed but robust locomotive complete with Hornby's vaccuum pipes and loco crew just like Hornby's models at the time.

This project is gonna be a love letter to a time gone by and a time I was proud and thankful to be part of. I am aware that many modellers are more into the super-detailed models, and so am I, but I do have a soft spot for old models. This is what I hope to acheive from the past. And when the model is done, I hope to find a reproduction Hornby Railways box from the early to mid-1990s to proudly display it.

I can completely relate to your ambition here.  I'm almost two decades older than you but have lots of 1980s models which could easily be replaced with newer highly-detailed models but there would be little point as I have an emotional attachment to the old ones.  Plus it would be a lot more expensive to foul up any personalisation of new models.......... your O1 looks terrific by the way. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

There's a lot of oldermodels from the 80s and 90s and even some old Triang from the 60/70s that with a little breathing over still have a lot of mileage in them.

One example is a chap on this forum who has done wonders detailing an old Triang L1 making it look 30 years younger than it is and by all account having great fun doing it. 

Keep up the good work your 01 looks brilliant 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Londontram said:

There's a lot of oldermodels from the 80s and 90s and even some old Triang from the 60/70s that with a little breathing over still have a lot of mileage in them.

One example is a chap on this forum who has done wonders detailing an old Triang L1 making it look 30 years younger than it is and by all account having great fun doing it. 

Keep up the good work your 01 looks brilliant 

1866392660_O1Progress.jpg.6aaceac0d70f1179bf6e7b71dd093af2.jpg

Thank you! Thank you all so much for your kind feedback!

For my 800th post, I thought I'd give everyone a teaser of what is to come. The numbers still have yet to be added on, but it makes a neat model that would have been produced in the 1990s by Hornby Railways. That is what I have been doing to celebrate Hornby's 100th Anniversary. Along with two SECR-liveried 4-wheel coaches to compliment the model, I was hoping to celebrate my Hornby Railways memories as well and that's what happens when you make personal projects - it's celebrating the things that you love, taking inspiration from them and making them exactly as how you would remember them.

Kids of my generation would be attached to Nintendo games or cartoons like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (sorry, Hero Turtles - ninja is a bad word in this country) or rock bands like Nirvana, but me, the things I would be more attached to are Thomas the Tank Engine and the Hornby train set (two of those nice things coming together like bread and butter which Hornby used to but not anymore, sadly).

As a pre-teen and teenager, I still had a Tri-ang Hornby 57xx Pannier Tank as well as the Hornby D49 Shire Hunt and Hornby 2900 Saint Class models despite not them running in donkey's ears and have since then sold them off or donated to model railway dealers. It would be years before I got back into the hobby at the age of 15 and I did with some new models.

I was still in secondary school and sixth form at the time and I was a freshman in college when I experimented with N Gauge (don't ask me about O Gauge because I may or may not be dabbling with it anytime soon generally due to financial reasons) and I still do both scales today, one of them in the form of a portable N Scale layout set in the Edwardian South East of England christened Crowmoor.

And that is my history as well as taster of what is too come. I hope everybody likes my future projects and perhaps I should review some models myself. Let's see what the future holds!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

1866392660_O1Progress.jpg.6aaceac0d70f1179bf6e7b71dd093af2.jpg

Kids of my generation would be attached to Nintendo games or cartoons like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (sorry, Hero Turtles - ninja is a bad word in this country) or rock bands like Nirvana, but me, the things I would be more attached to are Thomas the Tank Engine and the Hornby train set (two of those nice things coming together like bread and butter which Hornby used to but not anymore, sadly).

I was 15 in 1991, had a Sega Megadrive, listened to Nirvana and owned a Hornby Battle of Britain class and the old Triang EMU so it was possible to do all three. Plus table top roleplay and live roleplay games, story writing, art....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

I was 15 in 1991, had a Sega Megadrive, listened to Nirvana and owned a Hornby Battle of Britain class and the old Triang EMU so it was possible to do all three. Plus table top roleplay and live roleplay games, story writing, art....

I too was 15 in 1991 and had a Sega Megadrive, listened to Nirvana, Pearl Jam and sometimes Depeche Mode (I have a strange taste in music)

I had Hornby’s Flying Scotsman which I thought everyone has had a one time or another

Never played roleplay games though and story writing is difficult when you’re dyslexic :huh: I use to building airfix kits instead....I suppose I should have been going out with girls instead really but I was too shy for that so Airfix kits it was :lol:

And at 15 I still enjoyed watching Thomas the Tank engine.....I probably still would now :blush: (but not the CGI one! The proper one with models!)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1

Never owned a Flying Scotsman as the LNER wasn't my thing, unless my current exploits on the pugbash thread count. I think the BoB is the only tender engine I've ever owned and looking back Spitfire was an odd choice by Hornby as it was involved in a fatal accident in 1957...

5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

And at 15 I still enjoyed watching Thomas the Tank engine.....I probably still would now :blush: (

I found now I can't help but be drawn to look at the modelling in the original series. I feel that somehow they managed to make the world look very lived in.

22 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I was always more of a playstation person, Nirvana etc was for being an "edgy teenager" with atrocious long hair however I still managed to find time for railway modelling and tabletop wargaming.

After a 10 year break and finally finding a better half who is not just tolerant but encouraging I have started to dabble in my old hobbies again. 

However the long hair shall not be returning! 

Enjoying the thread by the way, it's making me more motivated to "super detail" some of my older models needing some TLC.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

Never owned a Flying Scotsman as the LNER wasn't my thing, unless my current exploits on the pugbash thread count. I think the BoB is the only tender engine I've ever owned and looking back Spitfire was an odd choice by Hornby as it was involved in a fatal accident in 1957...

Me, neither. The LNER isn't really much my thing, either. That's why I don't have a model of Flying Scotsman because there are too many variants of said-locomotive in both model form and real-life. Also, I haven't even reviewed the model because not only people have reviewed it before, but also there are too many versions to choose from especially considering how popular the locomotive is and how many years ago they were released.

When I do obtain Flying Scotsman in 00 Gauge by Hornby, only then shall I review it.

• 6 months later...

Well, with my 1990s Hornby Railways-style SECR O1 complete, I have plans on another new project, only this one is gonna be before my time another project of mine yet still in keeping with the Pre-Grouping theme I am modelling.

image.png.920799d37caf95746843c0cc690aa40d.pngimage.png.b1502a8290b1ff685d6ddf51afdf2163.png

Yes, it's the LNWR George the Fifth Class 4-4-0! And it's gonna be done in, wait for it...1960s-1970s Tri-ang Hornby style complete with replica box and custom-made labels! The model itself will be under low-detail like the models of the time and also modelled after the proposed replica of said-class No. 2013 Prince George.

Not only that, but I intend to create an S15 using a Hornby Railways N15 I once obtained at a model railway exhibition years back. It will also be converted, painted in LSWR green complete with respective bogie tender and numbered as the preserved No. 499. Expect that in the near future...

Let me know what you guys think of them and I hope they'll be a blast to make like with the SECR O1!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi,

For the S15 make sure you get rid of that awful tender that came with the N15.

What I need is an original King Arthur bogie tender from either a modern Hornby King Arthur or a kit to easily assemble and paint up. Which is the best bet do you reckon?

2 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

What I need is an original King Arthur bogie tender from either a modern Hornby King Arthur or a kit to easily assemble and paint up. Which is the best bet do you reckon?

Hi LNWR,

I used the Hornby King Arthur tender for mine. Simply because it was available and cheap on Ebay. Plus it was ready to go.

26 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi LNWR,

I used the Hornby King Arthur tender for mine. Simply because it was available and cheap on Ebay. Plus it was ready to go.

I'm thinking about the coupling between the loco and the tender. I already have an N15 bogie tender and the original N15. Plus, the tension-lock coupling at the back is a bit too modern. I'm trying to capture that retro-vintage style that Hornby Railways models had at the time and I just need to hit all the right notes. Call me obsessive, but accuracy to old-school style models is what I intend to aim for.

Also, I mentioned about making a Tri-ang Hornby style LNWR George the Fifth Class in case you didn't notice. The original GEM kit requires that you should use the original chassis for it. The tender wheels are gonna be metal as they are cleaner than the original plastic ones and also would still use the original couplings all models would have had at the time.

• Like 1

Hi LNWR,

You can use the tender coupling from the Triang Hall with a bit of jiggling in place of the strange plastic one that Hornby fitted to this engine. After all I always thought the chassis used for the Sir Dinadan was a modified Hall chassis. Never was sure why they used that one.

Edited by cypherman

5 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi LNWR,

You can use the tender coupling from the Triang Hall with a bit of jiggling in place of the strange plastic one that Hornby fitted to this engine. After all I always thought the chassis used for the Sir Dinadan was a modified Hall chassis. Never was sure why they used that one.

Hullo, Cypher!

I just acquired a tender coupling and a different coupling from my local model railway dealer. The S15 bogie tender s coming along nicely. In fact, I'll take some pictures of it and share them here. The Hall chassis is an interesting one. Maybe using a Graham Farish 00 Gauge Black Five could be an interesting idea of an RWS Henry model.

Watch this space for more updates on the projects!

• RMweb Gold
On 29/02/2020 at 16:57, Sophia NSE said:

Spitfire was an odd choice by Hornby as it was involved in a fatal accident in 1957...

Lewisham, 1957, a particularly bad one at that, but Hornby seem to have mostly plumped for Battle of Britain rather than West Country associations with their Spam Cans since Triang's Winston Churchill.  Spitfire was never rebuilt and the name has a definite cachet.  I suppose it makes marketing sense, as members of RAF squadrons or people who served at the likes of Manston, Biggin Hill, and so on are likely to buy the locos just for the pride of ownership, and may be considered to be a larger market than the worthy citizens of Ottery St. Mary, Hartland, or Lundy...  

OTOH Exeter and Salisbury have a fair few inhabitants between them...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

Nothing special, but just a line to let everyone know that my late-1970s Hornby Railways style S15 is taking shape ever so nicely. I think I just about aced the LSWR lining on it. Decals and chimney swap to make the loco more accurate to its LSWR days coming soon. Also, I must find the right rolling stock for it to haul such as private owner wagons, an LSWR brake van and LSWR coaches from 1970s Hornby Railways coaches repainted into LSWR colours.

Also, one question pops to mind - the GEM LNWR George the Fifth kit is on its away as well as the chasssis required for it. It's to be made in the 1960s Tri-ang style days right into the early 1970s.

• Like 3