Quoting posts with smilies

• RMweb Gold

I waited until the new software had settled down before raising this as I appreciate there were more pressing issues to resolve first.

If I quote a post that contains a smilie, instead of the smilie appearing in the quote there is a line of code instead.  In the old forum the smilie itself appeared.

Is this something that can be fixed or are we stuck with it?  I am using Android.

• Moderators

It's a by-product of me configuring the software settings to only display images within quoted content as links rather than repeating images and unnecessarily lengthening posts and pages. In that context the system replaces the smiley with an image link. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

Talking about smileys.

We used to get "favourites" (frequently used) smileys at the top of the list but recently that has gone and I have to scroll down each time to find them.

Is that a deliberate change?

45 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's a by-product of me configuring the software settings to only display images within quoted content as links rather than repeating images and unnecessarily lengthening posts and pages. In that context the system replaces the smiley with an image link. 

Replacing say 4 smilies with links,  isn't that more space taken up on screen ?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Sol said:

But overall a few lines of code instead of a few smillies far outways a few lines of code (the link) instead of photos, so overall the forum is smaller.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

Is that a deliberate change?

I seems to depend on device and browser. I don't get it on PC/Chrome but I do on Android devices.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Sol said:

The point I'm making is that posts such as this https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/&do=findComment&comment=3807782 would take up a lot of space if the images weren't replaced with links. Now, if all users could prune the content they are quoting down appropriately then I wouldn't have to institute such measures.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

I always prune the quote to the specific sentence I'm responding to, but there are a couple of threads where huge posts are quoted (such as WW) when the quote refers to a minor point within and it's difficult to understand the point being made.

It also makes me laugh when some posters refer to a particular thread being popular because it runs to XXX number of pages when the reality is that 50% of the content is quoted posts :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

The point I'm making is that posts such as this https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/&do=findComment&comment=3807782 would take up a lot of space if the images weren't replaced with links. Now, if all users could prune the content they are quoting down appropriately then I wouldn't have to institute such measures.

While I will agree in replacing large images with links, I was like the OP refering to smilies / emoticons which takes up possibly two characters on a line as compared to many characters of a link.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Sol said:

I was like the OP refering to smilies / emoticons which takes up possibly two characters on a line as compared to many characters of a link.

So how do I get the system to differentiate between a smiley and a large image? It can't, they're just images.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Test with smiley :)

Interesting. 

Have just checked other threads and some quoted smilies are appearing and some aren't. 

Does it depend on the path of the image used?

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

So how do I get the system to differentiate between a smiley and a large image? It can't, they're just images.

They are all stored in the community/uploads/emoticons folder aren’t they? If so a regexp on the filename ought to be able to reliably detect them...?