Hornby LNER Teak wagons curves,

Hello all,

This may allready be handled in another topic, but i couldn't find something similar.

I have a derailing problem with my Hornby LNER Gresley suburban coaches and the new LNER Gresley coaches.
The radius of my OO layout (Peco code 75) is roughly 49cm, so almost 3rd radius, but these seems to tight for the mentioned coaches?
Is there something that i could easily do about this issue, like altering the bogies or the fixation of the coupler?
The NEM coupler is pulled out when pulling the train in a curve so that it is able to negotiate "tighter curves" but this seems not sufficiënt enough for my layout?

I am looking for tips and ideas to alter the bogies so the wagons are able to run over my layout.

I hope someone is able to help me out,

Thanks,

Sjoerd van de Wal

Sjoerd,

Are you using the Hornby design couplers that come installed on the coaches? This is the 'traditional' OO coupler, but it is not truly compatible with the close coupling mechanism and will tangle and cause derailments. Best advice is to replace with a superior NEM coupler that forms a rigid bar between the mechanisms, Roco and Fleischmann seem to be the favoured products.

Thank you,

I never would have thought that may change the driving quality in a positive way,
I have changed the standard couplers for the enclosed short couplers and since then no derailment.
Also i will have a test with the Roco rigid bars, i have ordered a set.

Thanks,

4 hours ago, svdwal said:

Thank you,

I never would have thought that may change the driving quality in a positive way,
I have changed the standard couplers for the enclosed short couplers and since then no derailment.
Also i will have a test with the Roco rigid bars, i have ordered a set.

Thanks,

The Roco coupler is basically the same as the Hornby one but a few mm shorter. They will couple together so the difference in length allows a bit of variation if the NEM pockets aren't in exactly the right position, as in the case of the Bachmann Mk1s.