Some pre grouping goods tickets

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, these came into work today so I thought I would share them here. There are a nice selection of tickets all from the early 1900's. I suspect they all came from the same person who was shipping goods to Hayling Island. Plus a couple of post war tickets too.

Cheers, Ade.

78007_3009.JPG

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

........ I suspect they all came from the same person who was shipping goods to Hayling Island. .....

I would suggest they came from someone at Hayling Island who was receiving the goods as the label would accompany the consignment, attached to the wagon.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I would suggest they came from someone at Hayling Island

Yes - probably from Hayling Island station.  Once the wagon had arrived, the label would be put on a spike (they all have holes) and retained until there was no likelihood of a follow-up query.  Normally they'd be thrown out at some point, but some survived, fortunately for us.  The Colonel Stephens Railway Museum (Tenterden Town station) has several hauls of wagon labels from various K&ESR stations.  Even places like Frittenden Road, which was always pretty much of a dead loss as far as passengers were concerned, handled significant amounts of goods, particularly heavy bulk materials like coal, roadstone and fertiliser.

• Like 3

Back in the '60's when on a brake van trip to Brechin, rummaging in an old desk in the goods shed office we came across some Caledonian wagon labels.  One was pre-printed 'Live Stock' /'to Bellgrove NB'.  It took me a wee while to figure out why the Caley would have pre-printed labels at Brechin for an NB station in Glasgow.  Then the penny dropped!  The Glasgow abattoir was next door to Bellgrove station and had extensive cattle pens there.

Jim

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The LBSCR ticket from Portsmouth Town gives wagon No. 4165, almost certainly an Open A of one vintage or another - partly on the grounds that they made up at least half of the Brighton's goods stock but also because there are known Open A numbers in the vicinity [Bixley et al.Southern Wagons Vol. 2 (OPC, 1985)].

On the second LBSCR ticket, from Havant, LSW "truck" No. 6129 can be positively identified as one of that company's characteristic elliptical-ended five plank opens, to which the Southern assigned diagram 1310 - Nos. 602-6423 were built in 1898-1899 [Bixley et al.Southern Wagons Vol. 1 (OPC, 1984)]. EDIT no it can't - I was misreading SR number series as LSWR number series. But as like as not it's a wagon of this general type.

The LSWR ticket below that mentions wagon No. 9259 - not a number I can trace but the odds will be on it being another 5-plank open.

If wagon No. 10243 coming from Whitstable Habour is a SECR vehicle, it's an ex-LCDR covered goods wagon, probably of the type given SR diagram 1421 [Bixley et al.Southern Wagons Vol. 3 (OPC, 2000)].

The mineral wagon from Shepton Mallet via Templecombe and Havant has No. 559. Did any of the Somerset colliery companies have such a large fleet? Assuming not, it's almost certainly a S&DJR 8 ton 5-plank wagon virtually identical to the Midland standard 8-ton wagon to diagram D299. Garner does not list this number - which probably indicates that it was a wagon assigned to the Midland when the S&DJR goods stock was divided between the owning companies in 1914 [R. Garner, The Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway Locomotive and Rolling Stock Registers 1886-1930 (S&DR Trust, 2000)].

The number on the Midland ticket isn't quite legible - four digits, 4647? My guess would be that this is a PO mineral wagon, possibly one of the Bolsover Colliery's own fleet; the route is, as one would expect, up the Midland main line to Cricklewood (Brent) sidings, then via Hendon and Battersea to the LBSCR. The Great Northern ticket from Langley Mill is almost certainly another load of coal, but what is the route? I can't decipher that "via". The number, 02910, suggests a wagon on the duplicate list or, more likely, hired by the Great Northern from one of the private wagon companies in a time of shortage of its own wagons. Here's a photo (Mike Morant collection) of a down LBSCR mineral train from the same year as that ticket, 1906, with a Dinnington Main Colliery (not Charringtons) leading, followed by half-a-dozen Great Northern mineral wagons.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It would be interesting to know what sort of price these achieve, not least because I've got a cartload of Midland Railway collectiondelivery receipts from Millers Dale!

Mike.

It might be worth contacting the Midland Railway Society to secure a good home for these where they will be accessible to researchers - or at least digital images of them. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1