A 2mm Taster Kit Diorama

FraserClarke

• RMweb Premium

What a delightful little scene, Fraser! I especially like the colouring of the stonework on the goods shed and the wall behind it.

As a matter of interest there was a one page article ('Prototype of the Month') by none other than P.D.Hancock featuring Lasswade in the May 1953 Railway Modeller. I hasten to add that I didn't purchase the issue new but I was given it by a family friend around 1962. It has always stuck in my mind as an attractive little prototype.

David

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

In a typical case of pride before a fall, I tried to do the coupling hooks this evening; and completely banjaxed it up...  I got rather confused by the coupling plate etch, which looks like the slot for the hooks is in the wrong orientation (horizontal instead of vertical). I think though it is a bit of a trompe-l'oeil.   I think I've worked out the right way to do it, but in the process I've cut the coupling hooks too short.  I'll need to source some new ones at some point.

Mark: Yes, it's a very modelable station. The terminus of the short branch - Polton - has been on my 'want' list for lots of years now...  one day... some scale... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2020 at 14:03, FraserClarke said:

IMG_2903sm.JPG.53c5bddd9c223a76f111ca86f108a627.JPG

Overall I'm fairly pleased with the look. I think the yard needs a bit more junk in it, and the platform needs some suitable paraphernalia. I have tapped up some club mates for a suitable figure or two for the platform :)

Very much enjoyed building this, and can definitely see me doing more 2mm in the future.

Sorry, somehow missed this.

Congratulations on both the wagon and the diorama.  Wonderful, and a great example of trying one thing and ending up with another!  Hope it convinces you to carry on with the Finescale modelling.  Any plans for the next move?

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

@richbrummitt very kindly sent me some spare coupling hooks. I fitted these a few weeks ago, but work has been a bit hectic so haven't managed to put anything on here until now.  The hooks went in OK, with some judicious adjusting whilst the cyano went off.   I did try to find some suitable chain at the southampton show a few weeks ago, but the six year old dragging me around didn't allow the best conditions for hunting!  Will try again at the next show in a few weeks.

IMG_2926a.JPG.5d45ced8aed961b6451c30f111b12506.JPG

• Like 1

I'm not aware of any suitable chain. Most is either too big or the links are the wrong shape. I bend mine up from annealed 10 thou phosphor bronze wire, coiling it round a suitable former and then cutting off the individual links and threading them together and then onto the hook. The p/b wire turns a dull rust colour when you anneal it. 

Jim