If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

No Longer Needed

hconn

Hi, I've been wanting one of the Model Rail Sentinels for a while but never got the chance to get my hands on one when they were originally released.  I tend to generally model LNER regions pre-1947 so would be mainly looking for MR-002 (no.150) or MR-011 (no.148) but may be open to MR-003 (no. 68184) or MR-014 (68138).

Edited by hconn

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I just missed out on one as well (the last ones sold out in September last year), so I'm currently scratchbuilding one out of card!

Good luck! Unfortunately that's far outside of my capabilities! 

10 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

TBH it's probably the easiest of all steam locos to scratchbuild - anyone who can make a cardboard box can make a Sentinel Y1 body!

It would be the painting for me. I've had 4 wheel 009 coaches that took me days to paint to a standard I was happy with! 

11 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Yes, painting can take days. It's not to be rushed!

Back in steam days, some coaches had up to 12 coats of paint and varnish, with 2 days' drying time between them!

Not the sort of job my patience could cope with! 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

That project has hit a hiatus as I've discovered the motor bogie I'm using is interfering with the servos I use for uncouplers!

That's a shame. What bogie are you using? 

12 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Just an old Triang one my father had sitting around (yes, I know, not very accurate, but it was free and it fits inside the body nicely!).

Unfortunately it appears to be missing a suppression capacitor :-(

That is a shame. Probably very hard to buy the part for it now as well. 

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how critical the capacitor value actually is.

According to posters on a number of other forum sites, it sounds like it would probably have been something like 470pF - although some other makes of model locos used completely different values.

I seem to recall Lima using 10nF (aka 10000pF or 0.01μF - so about 20 times higher, give or take).

If I were fixing up an old model loco, I'd probably use a 10nF capacitor - probably ceramic or polyester - and rated at a few times the supply voltage (perhaps 50V).

The other things I'd definitely want to do are - check the motor brushes are in decent condition and properly in place - and ensure that the contacts are clean.

Of course, I'm sure someone will be along soon who's actually fixed some of these and knows more about them than I do ... .

Huw.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello 

The good news is that I have both MR-003 BR Early 68184  and MR-004  BR Late (Dept 57) up for grabs

The bad news is that I live in Canada..

Happy to post if you can afford the freight..

Best regards

Bill

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Hello 

The good news is that I have both MR-003 BR Early 68184  and MR-004  BR Late (Dept 57) up for grabs

The bad news is that I live in Canada..

Happy to post if you can afford the freight..

Best regards

Bill

Hi Bill. Unfortunately I actually found someone wanting to sell one of the LNER models earlier yesterday, but had forgot to change the title. Apologies for any inconvenience!