Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium

Like most of us who frequent this particular forum, I am lacking in space to ever hope of constructing a layout of any real size, but I can keep on dreaming of the day when space finally comes available.

Until that day, I keep my hand in by dabbling in a bit of railway model making and thoroughly enjoyed entering the Cake Box Challenges with my 2018 entry ‘The Coal Drop’ and I actually had some success by winning round 2 of the 2019 CBC with my entry ‘Oh Bullocks’.

So what next? Well, thinking that at some point in the not too distant future I would be in a position to start on a model railway (I had already decided it would be P4) I would need a length of P4 test track for programming locos and generally seeing if they run back and forth OK after fettling about with re-gauging rtr models, not at the stage of kit building or scratch building just yet.

After checking the rule book there was nothing to say that the length of track needed had to be just plain track with no added features. So, I thought, why not add some scenery and few other items of interest.

Tyteford Halte was born, well in concept anyway. A fictitious small branch line terminus station on the GWR in the 1930’s which will serve as a test/program track and allow me to practice some modelling techniques in the process. Operationally it serves no purpose, apart from running a train back and forth, approaching and leaving the station. It does however allow me to construct something which is small enough to live on top of the wardrobe when not being worked on and can fit on the dining room table when being worked on without causing too much offence to the Mrs.

That’s enough spiel for now, here’s a few pics of the baseboard which is a mere 6” wide and 44” long, so it’s a shelfie. Track is C & L Finescale bullhead with Exactoscale 2 bolt chairs and scale 60’ track base panels.

I have a recently re-gauged (not by me) Dapol streamlined diesel railcar (4D-011-004D) which will be the first to grace the track. If I have my way, the finished test track would be fitted to a wall and also serve as a diorama when not in use, I just need to convince the Mrs that this will be a stylish furniture addition.

More of the build progress to follow….

MAP66

001.thumb.jpg.bb1b4ce296005fd81de99b3e7a919634.jpg002.thumb.jpg.af612f50d7368c7382b952c0955ee9b9.jpg003.thumb.jpg.1364e3a04deefa90cfec5884e607d399.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks,

All comments appreciated and thanks for those received so far.

I have just started constructing the platform supports and am using Plastruct for this with grey board for the platform surface which will be scribed and painted to represent wooden planking.

As beneath the platform will be open, I will introduce some undergrowth. For those of you interested, the buffer stop is a GWR short type, 'BS14B'  from Lanarkshire models. Its a nice little kit and you get 3 in the box.  I stuck a red loco lamp on top of the buffer beam from DCC concepts, wired it up with a 50k resistor direct from the track feed and it sort of resembles an oil lit lamp when illuminated.

So that's it for tonight, an abridged entry complete with the pics of progress. More to follow.....

MAP66

004.thumb.jpg.01fa98e61c3426282f839a967f753f84.jpg005.thumb.jpg.2d88e812ac0a452f710984960fe1fd18.jpg006.thumb.jpg.2747dbe29701bfd581ba7e2e16f71275.jpg007.thumb.jpg.404a20e55c224a41e777a00a2e9bd7c6.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Oncomin5torm said:

This looks fantastic, your attention to detail just on the platform alone is amazing.
I'm also going to be using lanarkshire models buffer stops on my layout, specifically the GWR short kit.

Cannot wait to see this progress.

Many thanks

Was it me who influenced your buffer choice or something you had already decided on? When you install them on the layout make sure you use insulated fishplates to avoid the buffer beam shorting actross the track!

Regards

Mark

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 4wDH said:

Your platform build and detailing is very good. This is looking like an interesting build project..

Many thanks

Lots of more things to come in such a tiny space.

Regards

Mark

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 4wDH said:

MAP66 can I ask what size is your baseboard..

Of course, it measures 6" wide and 42" long (15cm x 107cm). Its actually meant to serve as a test/program track but I am also experimenting with scenery and a bit of scratch building, so when not in use the idea is for it to also serve as a diorama and be on display with a GWR railcar sat at the station.

Regards

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MAP66 said:

Many thanks

Was it me who influenced your buffer choice or something you had already decided on? When you install them on the layout make sure you use insulated fishplates to avoid the buffer beam shorting actross the track!

Regards

Mark

I wish it was, but a friend of mine told me about them and I was sold on them instantly, I do not have a lot of space and I do not want to loose too much to massive buffer stops taking up what could be used for a short wagon.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2020 at 20:17, Oncomin5torm said:

I wish it was, but a friend of mine told me about them and I was sold on them instantly, I do not have a lot of space and I do not want to loose too much to massive buffer stops taking up what could be used for a short wagon.

Thought you might like these pics as the buffer stop is now painted after being installed, insulated fishplates not yet fitted. The wagon shown is a Cambrian kit 'C2 10 ton Loco Coal Wagon'.

008.thumb.jpg.53ef6680b8435128da881cb343520483.jpg

009.thumb.jpg.65fb4ac213a9c4c6099f4536b4cb619d.jpg

010.thumb.jpg.b000b4e65afd105b7768c5e611a093e6.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A little more about whats been happening at Tyteford Halte.

The good thing about modelling a straight bit of track is you get something running up and down pretty quickly and then you can just spend some time on the landscaping and where to place other items.

I debated whether to have a road over bridge or tunnel mouth at the other end of the track, the tunnel mouth won and I'm using the Wills single track brick tunnel mouth SS59. Current experimenting with painting techniques for the brickwork has resulted in failure, this is work in progress - see first image.

I also intend incorporating a level crossing with servo operated gates, never attempted anything like this before, any tips from members who have managed to do anything similar are very welcome. I also plan to scratchbuild a low relief crossing keepers cottage. I have recently purchased the Bachmann Scenecraft pagoda style station shelter and store 44-0055 and the Metcalf GWR benches, so still plenty to do.

The Dapol GWR railcar now runs up and down quite happily, with lights and sound and passengers on board. 

011.thumb.jpg.51ba6cf9639a0cd17746d7435d05a7e9.jpg

012.thumb.jpg.d6713b1f9a1de766285ee7549f28c4cc.jpg

013.thumb.jpg.5a9dd81bd3e222f85c84ade0618f5d4e.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Quick update tonight, I am slowly working along the track applying the ballast. I am using ready mixed deep gap polyfilla to fill in between the sleepers and bringing the level up to just below the top of the sleepers and then sprinkling over some sieved desert sand and stone mix ref JS75 by Javis. I gently tamp this down and when dry, paint over with diluted sleeper grime. I am only doing this method on the station area to give the appearance of being more mucky.

Here's a pic to show progress and now the Pagoda building is planted on the platform, weathering to follow.

014.thumb.jpg.c0773e7b4343e5e3e9fc2d223dffa708.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Your layout is taking shape nicely and I like the platform area.

Thanks Kevin glad you like it.

Believe it or not even though the platform surface has come out fairly well, I'm not sure how to extend it with a convincing join as the platform is a scale 109' long so another piece of greyboard is needed.

The way I scribed on the planking will not look correct at the join so I may have to give it another go and actually plan it out first next time instead of steaming ahead without thinking about it. Happy days!!

Regards

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I thought I would put up a couple of close ups showing the dead undergrowth under the platform directly beneath the pagoda shelter which I'm quite pleased with (a few stray static fibres still to clear off the track). Also following on from previous post, how to continue the platform to full length with a convincing join on the wood planking. While I continue to work on that one I have also started to mock up how the Wills tunnel mouth will sit at the other end of the track. A few inches in front of the Railcar is where I plan to site the level crossing which hopefully will be operated automatically.

Still lots to do on this one and I'm enjoying every minute, but that's it for this evening.

015.thumb.jpg.66dfa97bd2c6a8d8cd0d04cd9e377ba9.jpg

016.thumb.jpg.00682d1d62370f49eb43bf0bfe8d925d.jpg

017.jpg.620b7949b50df8e6ca78a56814d570dc.jpg

Regards

Mark

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

No much progress to report tonight, however, in the post arrived station nameboards and GWR brass letter frets by Smiths, and the GWR taper post oil lamps by Gaugemaster GM814. I have dry fitted the lamps to the platform to see how they look - very pleased with the appearance and will wire them up later. Should look good with the benches, nameboards and with a couple of passengers waiting on the platform.

Also resided to the fact that to extend the platform I have admitted defeat and just settled on a straight butt joint (mind the gap) as seen in second photo. I will fill with some filler smooth over and scribe in the planking over the join.

Also forgot which colour paints I used for the first platform section and in which order they were applied, weathering powders were also involved, so having fun trying to colour match and remember how I did it to get the new section to match up with the first. 

I will build the platform ramps next and then the station fencing and gates. Then its the level crossing... at some point I also need to sort out the backscene, should of had that done by now really. 

Here's few more pics in the meantime.

All the best Mark.

018.thumb.jpg.c417708b4488315aaef72d63afc9a319.jpg

019.thumb.jpg.d84527e69933e2a181f36d210f007302.jpg

020.thumb.jpg.a4f78bf3a47ae768ba8769e85ca65bd9.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit more progress to report this evening but no a lot. I have completed both platform ramps and added some slats (micro strip) to represent the strips of wood which were sometimes fixed to the ramps to prevent slips. I'm reminded of an old pic I saw of Thumpers Crossing. 

Made a start on weathering the Pagoda shelter, got bored with that so instead assembled one of the GWR type platform benches by Metcalfe PO501. Really neat little kit and because its so fiddly to assemble one of the card frets when pushed out is designed to be folded into an assembly jig to hold the legs straight while you glue the seat slats in place -  nice touch and very helpful.

Made a start at building up some of the ground level to rear of the pagoda shelter but need the backscene sorted before I can progress any further, should arrive tomorrow it's an ID photo Back-scene. Also loose fitted some station fencing, just for the photo, should this be painted white or GWR cream?

I ordered the automated gated level crossing kit from Heathcote Electronics which arrived today - looks pretty comprehensive and a project in itself, I shall take my time with this and definitely read all the supplied instructions.

I know this is only a test track but I am also using it a an opportunity to install new bits and pieces which I have never considered trying before, so any mistakes can be learned from when it comes to something bigger.

So here are the pics...

021.thumb.jpg.c31398be520a5d99a10710432de98bce.jpg

024.thumb.jpg.7dbb752c847f24c87c90b59d1f076037.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

This test track layout is looking really good, the platform ramps and GWR bench is a nice touch.

Thanks Kevin for your comments, very much appreciated.

Regards

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1