Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 1722 said:

Looks amazing. For me the real genius is the sawdust though. 

Superb! :clapping:

Thanks Chris

I thought you can't have Fred sawing wood without sawdust, which is a mixture of talc and Humbrol Sand weathering powder. I flicked it in place from the end of a paint brush and it came out much better than I expected.

All the best

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fantabulous!!

I still think the ‘craftsmanship/clever’ button doesn’t quite cut it

We definitely need a ‘oh my god that is absolutely f**king awesome’ button

Top job Mark!

Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Fantabulous!!

I still think the ‘craftsmanship/clever’ button doesn’t quite cut it

We definitely need a ‘oh my god that is absolutely f**king awesome’ button

Top job Mark!

Chris

Thank you Sir! I have to say, if mine is Fantabulous that makes "Warren Branch" abso-bloody-lutley-fantabulously-f**king awesome.

I think you are the Master of miniaturism and I continue to learn and be inspired by your work.

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Mark it just keeps getting better.

Thanks Kevin, very  much appreciated, hope you like the next installments.

All the best

Mark

Honestly exceptional — that’s genuinely one of the best individual scenes I’ve ever seen on a model. The originality alone is really something but the execution and the placement of each element sells it so convincingly.

I never thought I’d say that something starting life as a scenic programming track would be one of the most interesting and technically accomplished railways on the forum, but I think this one is...

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Adam

I really appreciate your feedback. I think the introduction of 3D model figures in railway modeling has really helped me in these types of scenes. They seem to bring it all to life when placed with a little thought. There are endless possibilities and we are only limited by our imagination and errr budget :laugh_mini:

All the best

Mark

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think I mentioned a while back that I would finish the signal next and spurred on by the achievements of Chuffinghells 'Warren Branch' I have had another stab at attempting to attach some fine chain around the pulley at the base of the signal and then the extremely testing and tedious task of attaching the fine chain to the signal lever crank.

I could only do this by forming a slightly larger connecting link from brass wire which you can see in the signal photo.

I have also tried to replicate where the signal wire is attached to the chain using a thin sliver of tissue paper soaked in pva and wrapped around the connection (apologies for the image quality of second photo as it is greatly magnified).

I am now really not looking forward to linking everything up back to the signal box.

20200523_121131[1].jpg

20200523_120652[1].jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

The next step is now done, signal wire attached to chain link at signal pulley and then running off towards signal box passing through two signal wire posts sunk into the ground.

Next step will be to work back from the signal box and a bit of finishing groundwork around the base of the signal but that's enough for one day, my eyeballs are hurting.

20200523_172907.jpg

20200523_173014.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Mark, I’ve just been catching up with the thread - as others have said, this really is on another level.  I hope you’re enjoying it as much as we are!  Keith.

Hi Keith thank you for your kind comments and as a whole I have very much enjoyed this little project. The intention from the outset was always to construct a test track in P4 and use the project to gain further knowledge and experience in scenery making so that the track can also serve as a photo-plank come diorama when not in use.

I have certainly picked up some great tips along the way from the endless supply of brilliant and creative railway modelers who frequent this forum and I really hope others who have looked in on this thread have enjoyed the progress updates along with my general musings.

What was not apparent from the outset though was the level of detail to include and this has sort of evolved as the project developed to a point where the enjoyment sometimes is taken over by frustration. But that’s my own fault as I wanted to challenge myself as well as know my limits. I think the betting quote “When the fun stops, stop” rings true for us modelers too. Better to down tools, walk away, have a cup of tea, sleep on it and return fully reinvigorated – works for me (sometimes) :O this is what me eyes look like after I've done a stint of signal wiring!

All the best

Mark

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The signal wiring, pulley wheels and chain at the signal box end was stressing me out, its so fiddly, you just have to be in the right frame of mind to tackle it. I walked away from it and will eventually get it completed but its going to take a few more intense sessions. So I've gone back to the yard for now and will make a concerted effort to get this small area completed before moving onto something else. Here are some images of the yard, the paper fence running along the back is yet to receive its final uniform colour, its still a bit mismatch a the moment. You will also see that some further greenery has appeared on the tunnel entrance retaining wall. That store is going to need a hasp and staple with padlock - Oh no, I can feel my eye balls hurting again.

20200531_220934[1].jpg

20200531_221044[1].jpg

20200531_221208[1].jpg

20200531_222845[1].jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I'm still messing about with that fence as I wasn't happy with the first attempt. Second version is made from very thin card painted with ordinary water colours and use of weathering powders.

The fence planks are drawn on with a size 005 pigma micron pen and steel rule in an attempt to make it look like feather edge fencing. I then added the gardeners enemy (bind weed), some of which has started to flower, so it must be June as I have plenty of the bloody stuff in the garden. The section of return fencing on the left, seems to look fairly convincing considering it is flat against the backscene.  I will finish this off with some weeds and grass at the base of the fence. A few more vines and creepers around the store and then some items placed in the yard. Those small pin holes in the back scene - I really need to sort those out.

Updates are a bit few and far between now as getting organised for returning to work.

All the best

Mark

096.jpg.8d7594f532fe2f4b1b5f3475f5d8bb41.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
On 31/05/2020 at 22:56, MAP66 said:

20200531_220934[1].jpg

20200531_221208[1].jpg

13 hours ago, MAP66 said:

The section of return fencing on the left, seems to look fairly convincing considering it is flat against the backscene.

20200605_200224[1].jpg

So is that bit of return fence in the lower photo an optical illusion?  I’m stunned - in a very good way.
Is it at least a bit longer than in the first version in the two upper photos? (I note you said you re-did it).  Or did you have us completely fooled all along?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Gypsy said:

Looks really good! How did you do the bindweed?!

Thank you Gypsy

The process for bindweed is as follows; Using a very fine detail brush, paint lines of dilute pva (slightly more thicker consistency than that used for ballasting) onto the surface of the fence. You are aiming to replicate the bind weed so apply the pva how you think the bind weed would cover the fence, but only do a small area at a time. Then while pva is still wet sprinkle on some dark green fine turf, the stuff I used is from Javis (other brands are available) leave it for a few seconds and shake off. Then continue like that, every now and again I added some scenic scatter of a slightly different colour green for variety. As you can see from the photo, I wanted some of the bindweed growing up from the base of the fence and some climbing over the top of the fence from the other side. The white flowers are simply tiny blobs of white paint applied with a fine paint brush.

Hope that helps

Mark

• Craftsmanship/clever 2