Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Keith

In answer to your question on the return section of the fencing, yes the return is now longer. From the first attempt fence you can see that the return only came to half way along where the white filler is on the ground. On this fence the return now extends to the end of the filler. I've put up another image, shot from a different angle to show that the return section is up against the back-scene. You get the real illusion effect from looking head on. The fence is a scale 6' 6" tall but is only that height at the extreme end of the return, nearest to the viewer. The return section then tapers down to a scale 5' tall at the rear section of the fence to give some perspective of depth. I'm going on a bit, here's the photo...

097.jpg.893826b2679954e9f150b0b65405b966.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Calidore said:

Really wouldn't have guessed that fence was flat to the backscene if you hadn't said, Mark -- fantastic.

Adam

16 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

You've achieved an amazing perspective effect with this layout - in many of your photos, I can't work out what's really horizontal and what's vertical! Fantastic work! 

On 06/06/2020 at 16:43, Jerry1975 said:

Looking fantastic. 

Jerry 

Thank you all for your comments regarding the forced perspective. All very much appreciated, I will do my best to keep the updates coming and keep you updated on any other crazy scenery ideas I might have - good and bad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

101 uses for bindweed in a model railway: No. 2 climbing up a length of timber.

098.jpg.594f03521f6351cf71f4e8ea08c7d79e.jpg

099.jpg.d01de71e4a735313b0bcbab97708d3f6.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Still working on that yard folks, the store is now bedded down with some forgiving greenery around the base to hide any unsightly gaps.

More climbing vines have been added to the roof of the store in an attempt to disguise the low relief aspect where it meets the back-scene. I have also done a bit more weathering to the store and the yard surface.

So some more progress pics below, I have included one shot showing the actual depth of the yard which  measures 4.5 cm from the front edge of the steel plate covering the point rodding to the rear fence and I've included a pic of the Austin 7 van belonging to Fred the carpenter. The Austin 7 will receive some weathering detail and will eventually reside in roughly that spot.

All the best

Mark

20200610_192114[1].jpg

20200611_192919[1].jpg

20200611_193054[1].jpg

20200611_193236.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The vans back and weathered, Its my first attempt at weathering a road vehicle - I'm sure I will get better with more practice.

The van hasn't got dirty windows its actually residue from the masking tape I used which I need to clean off, I think it was a bit too tacky. 

20200612_212105.jpg

Edited by MAP66
correcting a few typos.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 17/06/2020 at 12:13, JimRead said:

Hello Mark and Hello all,

I would like to thank Mark for his help on the back scene and thank him for my decision to have another go at 00. This layout was my inspiration I don't suppose I shall get anywhere near his modelling skills being a daft old git. I will have some fun though :-)

Cheers and thanks Mark

Hi Jim

I feel very honoured to be the reason for you having another go at 00. Its a good feeling to be told that something I have done has given inspiration to others.

By the way, don't sell yourself short on your modelling prowess, the models you produce in card are fantastic, your layouts are simply fantastic.

Best of luck with 00, in theory you should at least be using less card and glue.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Just in case any one is wondering, I'm still in the yard, sorry its taking so long to finish this part but Tyteford Halte is now back on top of the wardrobe while other things in life take priority. Hopefully, it will be back down again soon and things will progress a little faster.

Before it went up on the wardrobe I did add a tree behind the return of the fence (just a sprig of sea foam) covered in scatters. I dd intend for all trees to be made from copper wire armatures covered in grout or filler but as most of trunk is behind the fence and it needed to be a very thin trunk as I only wanted to pull this part of the fence forward a few mm just enough to slot the tree down behind the fence.

20200619_151255.jpg

20200619_151450.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 25/01/2020 at 19:48, MAP66 said:

Quick update tonight, I am slowly working along the track applying the ballast. I am using ready mixed deep gap polyfilla to fill in between the sleepers and bringing the level up to just below the top of the sleepers and then sprinkling over some sieved desert sand and stone mix ref JS75 by Javis. I gently tamp this down and when dry, paint over with diluted sleeper grime. I am only doing this method on the station area to give the appearance of being more mucky.

Here's a pic to show progress and now the Pagoda building is planted on the platform, weathering to follow.

20200125_193116.jpg

Hi Mark, I thought I’d better re-read your thread to research ballasting techniques after seeing how mine looks in photos of my test layout (could almost be called “ Uphill-on-the-moon” - though the photos make it look rougher than it is, honest).
I like your approach of part-filling gaps between sleepers first, especially as I’ve widened the sleepers on my OO gauge track, but I don’t know I’d have the patience to do all that on a larger layout?

Looking at this photo of your made me wonder if the pagoda station building is a kit or scratch-built, as I’ll need a couple of small GW station buildings for the larger layout I’m working towards.  Just wondered, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith

If I can start with the Pagoda building it is in fact a Bachmann Scenecraft ready made building and comes as a duo with the store, half of which is visible in the photo, its a bit pricey, around £30.00 the set. Wills do a similar pagoda kit for around £7.00.  If I was going to need another one of these I would definitely sratchbuild using this model as a template.

Regarding the ballast, I use Exactoscale 60' track panels with a sleeper depth of about 0.8mm, the idea was to save on ballast with the shallower sleeper depth, I was able to save on this even further by infilling between sleepers with deep gap filler in the station area. If your ballast is a bit course, then you can sieve it to remove the larger pieces, I did this with the ballast I used. Generally most modelers tend to use ballast marketed at the scale below which they model, so for 00 use N gauge ballast.

Hope this is of some help.

All the best

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tyteford Halte returns after being banished to the top of the wardrobe for the last few days and I am glad to report that it has made it back down to its rightful place (on top of the dining room table).

I am still in deliberation with SWMBO with my argument that there is no requirement to eat meals sat at a table, as this is surely why lap trays were invented.

Anyway back to the plot, I managed to add a bit more detail to the yard - a brazier complete with flicker effect led. This was added this evening to provide a place for the rotten wood from the repaired station fencing to be burned. I have also added a pile of something covered in a tarpaulin - not sure about this, I will decide if it stays after it has been painted. That's adequate detail for the yard, less is more and all that.

Here's the pics...

100.jpg.1e1778efa4e16be05d055117a86b1060.jpg

101.jpg.d9529cd28b76a056eb2c5efe6551f4ba.jpg

102.jpg.d4eb819ce2f7feaaf2c9113a3b8deb50.jpg

103.jpg.831fce37de3424f2a7cb2264bdd92e18.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jimsmodeltrains said:

YES! Dining tables are obviously meant only for special occasions and model railways.

Thanks Jim, I knew I was correct on this but its always good to receive confirmation from down-under.

The layout only barely covers half of the table anyway, rest of it is covered in my tools :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, marc smith said:

Looking great @MAP66 
Glad I popped down to Tyteford Halte this morning :) 

Thanks Marc

Your more than welcome to pop down to Tyteford Halte anytime.

• Like 1

Mark what can I say but very well done. This is the perfect Shelfie with beautiful attention to detail.

I love Fred the carpenter busying away working on the platform. The overgrown lamp hut with the ivy growing over it is a really nice touch.:drink_mini:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Bo-Bo said:

Mark what can I say but very well done. This is the perfect Shelfie with beautiful attention to detail.

I love Fred the carpenter busying away working on the platform. The overgrown lamp hut with the ivy growing over it is a really nice touch.:drink_mini:

Thank you Bo-Bo, very nice of you to say so.

I'm going to be working on a gate soon across the road as the entrance to the yard. I will post some progress on this soon.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks

I have started on placing a gate across the road to serve as an access gate to the yard. Its from the Ratio fencing kit, same pack as I used for the station fencing.

I plonked a couple of blobs of filler where the gate posts would be and then gently pressed the gate into position to straddle across the road. I left it there about 10 minutes and then removed it to leave two post socket impressions in the filler. This will make it easier to glue the gate into position after painting and adding the ground detail.

The gate in position has highlighted that the road camber is too severe, so I will sort that with some additional filler and then complete the ground cover in this area. Post and wire fencing will lead off either side of the gate and then I need a nice looking GWR sign to go on the gate.

Here are a couple of progress pics, I wanted the gate to look as distressed a I am, tough week working from home - say no more.

104.jpg.f26026ad487ec7c020e3213a55ce74e7.jpg

105.jpg.9d7c5e13a97d908a6b0423534a1e6f29.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JimRead said:

Hello Mark,

Overheard at the farmers supply shed;
Customer, "That 5 bar gate you sold me has gone rotten already"
Storeman, "Did you paint it white?"
Customer, "I did, so what!"
Storeman, "Well, you've made sure that the water can soak in at the edges, but not out through the paint!"
From standing at the counter at Littlewoods Supplies

Slap the rot on Mark you're dead right :-)

Cheers - Jim

Hi Jim

Did the Storeman then try and sell the customer some Tartan paint?

• RMweb Premium

Managed to do some more work on the gate scene today by adding more filler to reduce the camber of the access road and to build up the surrounding ground either side of the road.

This was then painted with brown acrylics and then various lengths and shades of static grass were applied via puffer bottle. Then finally a mix of fine and medium leaf scatters and flock were added to represent weeds and rough grassy areas.

Here's a few more progress pics...

106.jpg.6f6e3b19f1bfbe6c05f49828a39911bb.jpg

107.jpg.7b71e3af3e9a60aa0542e961d3311b2a.jpg

108.jpg.250a0949482acc147693906a9129cae8.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2