Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium
On 23/06/2020 at 21:45, MAP66 said:

Hi Keith

If I can start with the Pagoda building it is in fact a Bachmann Scenecraft ready made building and comes as a duo with the store, half of which is visible in the photo, its a bit pricey, around £30.00 the set. Wills do a similar pagoda kit for around £7.00.  If I was going to need another one of these I would definitely sratchbuild using this model as a template.

Regarding the ballast, I use Exactoscale 60' track panels with a sleeper depth of about 0.8mm, the idea was to save on ballast with the shallower sleeper depth, I was able to save on this even further by infilling between sleepers with deep gap filler in the station area. If your ballast is a bit course, then you can sieve it to remove the larger pieces, I did this with the ballast I used. Generally most modelers tend to use ballast marketed at the scale below which they model, so for 00 use N gauge ballast.

Hope this is of some help.

All the best

Mark

Thanks for the reply.  The last Station I built wasn’t nearly as big as your pagoda...

C6503ADF-81DD-4E02-AEC1-53EAF0F9EB9B.jpeg.a7fbccb7251df06927fa29349478ff03.jpeg

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Reinstating pictures
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Thanks for the reply.  The last Station I built wasn’t nearly as big as your pagoda...

90D3E88B-9A94-432F-9AEC-E0F23022698D.jpeg.0b7cfe66f94bb81ee56ac9517c307f29.jpeg

Hi Keith

That s a nice looking rural halt, do you have any plans for incorporating it into something?

• RMweb Premium
On 30/06/2020 at 17:17, MAP66 said:

Hi Keith

That s a nice looking rural halt, do you have any plans for incorporating it into something?

Thanks - it’s a neat little Wills kit, excellent value (cost me about £5).   

It was part of a layout that didn’t get to the scenic stage in a previous home, but is now on display with a Dapol Railbus kit I bought to practice gluing windows in place.

Edited for text only as photos no longer available
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Keith

You have almost all the ingredients for a perfect photo plank, just needs a length of ballasted  track, couple of passengers on the platform and some scenery and hey presto.

I wouldn't mind betting that you have all that stuff lurking in a cupboard somewhere just waiting to be liberated.

2 hours ago, sb67 said:

The gate looks great Mark. Loving seeing your layout grow, there's so many details to look at.

Thanks Steve

ditto with Rustons Sidings, really enjoying your progress, inspiring every step of the way. LIke most things on Tyteford this was my first attempt at trying to replicate distressed wood. I think it didn't turn out too bad and has provided me with something to perfect further on future projects.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I Promise I won't do this again to him, but I'm Mark's "SWMBO", I am so proud of what he does! His layout is really as good , if not even better, in reality! 

Mark, let's keep reaching for our goal that you'll have that outbuilding where you can really do your stuff!!

He'll be so shocked that I hacked his account, but then he'll realise that I also have no problem with Laptrays for dinner  :-)

Well done Mark, it's fabulous! x

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, MAP66 said:

I Promise I won't do this again to him, but I'm Mark's "SWMBO", I am so proud of what he does! His layout is really as good , if not even better, in reality! 

Mark, let's keep reaching for our goal that you'll have that outbuilding where you can really do your stuff!!

He'll be so shocked that I hacked his account, but then he'll realise that I also have no problem with Laptrays for dinner  :-)

Well said Mrs Mark. :)

• RMweb Premium
On 30/06/2020 at 20:28, MAP66 said:

Keith

You have almost all the ingredients for a perfect photo plank, just needs a length of ballasted  track, couple of passengers on the platform and some scenery and hey presto.

I wouldn't mind betting that you have all that stuff lurking in a cupboard somewhere just waiting to be liberated.

Hi Mark, I had a feeling you might say something like that (which is fair enough): I started a diorama for the railbus at a BR(W) station using a Ratio Awning Kit but progress stopped after Christmas:

E0F4C662-1A49-484A-AAD8-41967E7BFEB4.jpeg.020c109d345b389643ae771e048b5830.jpeg

182CF535-8134-4BCB-9A90-82E7EAA64C8A.jpeg.ec819f8296b0656bbf0cc558c18f3236.jpeg

693E520E-6582-4CB9-81FF-89D145843717.jpeg.659d0a4731885def45e5eb1ef344ecad.jpeg

The sub-assemlbies have about 8 or 9 pieces to them each (chocolate and cream can be found on some BR(W), though I think it would have been GW Light and Dark Stone before nationalisation).

Anyway, I will stop 'hacking' into your thread - even if it appears I'm not the only one!  We tune in to see your modelling: so nice to read the endorsement from the domestic authority confirming just how good it is!

Reinstating photos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Thanks Babe, what can I say - You really know what to say to get the bathroom floor finished, can't really refuse now. :heart_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith

Don't worry about hi-jacking, its nice to see other peoples side projects. That ratio awning kit looks pretty comprehensive, I hope you get back onto it soon and apologies for the prompt. Purely unintentional you understand :)

• Thanks 1

Looks like the painters have another job on their hands with the gate Mark, very nice!

The brazier on the previous page is another detail I don't think I've seen done anywhere -- it looks excellent, right down to the holes in the bottom of the barrel. Just goes to show that there's room for all kinds of inventiveness in this hobby beyond the regular 'always modelled' set pieces.

Adam

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Calidore said:

Looks like the painters have another job on their hands with the gate Mark, very nice!

The brazier on the previous page is another detail I don't think I've seen done anywhere -- it looks excellent, right down to the holes in the bottom of the barrel. Just goes to show that there's room for all kinds of inventiveness in this hobby beyond the regular 'always modelled' set pieces.

Adam

Thanks Adam

Yes, by the looks of it the gate hasn't seen a coat of paint for 10 years or more. I've been searching for a GWR brass sign fret I had, took me forever to finally find it but I think I have something suitable to stick on the front of the gate. Glad you like the brazier, when i wired it up you could only see the flicker effect from directly above which I thought was pointless. So I drilled some small holes around the bottom and it did the trick.

• RMweb Premium

I managed to put the sign on the gate, its a 'GWR  Private Road' sign, not entirely appropriate but close enough and you need Steve Austins eyesight to read it anyway.

I'm going to see if I can mange a padlock and chain, just for the hell of it and then it will be the post and wire fencing. For the ground to the right of the gate I would like to attempt modelling some water but not too much, more like some waterlogged ground. Here's a couple of more pics of the gate and sign.

109.jpg.f709789c2a4c76b9e3ebcea977905d60.jpg

110.jpg.f28f06e1e8934752f4c379ef53df38ea.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JimRead said:

Morning Mark,

I've got some Sedge for boggy ground here;

Sedge.jpg.a02e471ec81fb33e8e29e3152976703b.jpg

I can post a couple a couple of rows to you if you would like some.

It's the sort of stuff you find at the edge sloping fields in front of the stile you want to get over and end up losing your boot in the deep black mud! Been there done that :-)

Cheers - Jim

Hi Jim

Thats a very generous and lovely offer Sir. Looks like those tufts are exactly what I had in mind surrounded by some waterlogged ground.

Its only a small space so, if you don't mind just the one row would be fine. Some point in the future you'll have a need for the sedge and your be scratching your head thinking where did that other bloody row go.

I'll send you my contact details.

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I've made a start on the soggy ground area with the help of the tufts of sedge which Jim kindly sent to me.

I thought the best approach for this, as it was such a small area, would be to make a card template of the ground area to cover and build up the ground detail on top of the card template.

This method would allow me to work on the area while removed from the layout which is much easier. I will be using gloss varnish to replicate the wetter ground areas, which will be added at next stage.

Looks a bit rough at the moment but I'm pretty confident that when blended in to the surrounding area it will look OK. I think this working on a card template method is great for working on small areas of ground cover which require a bit more detail as you can work on them away from the layout allowing you to work from all angles, then offer it up, see how it looks and then keep on adding the detail until your happy with it. Then stick it down in place when finished. Below are some progress pics;

111.jpg.fbf1abe0e48c8fc39ca27423f305e7bd.jpg

112.jpg.afcbc21d54eaf868a3fe87fce01a9df4.jpg

113.jpg.180003d5dc938aa1323d914b3725cd72.jpg

114.jpg.dadb1a31076d3a303cfb6c38ce9a4bd1.jpg

116.jpg.e45fc117010b9b89025e851267bb6f6c.jpg

115.jpg.f285b0921e118df954b6b848e8d976a2.jpg  

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
Just now, chuffinghell said:

Wow!

Thanks Chris

I think this might be the way to go for modelling small areas of ground cover, if you mess it up its so much easier to put it right as opposed to making a mistake while working on the actual layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MAP66 said:

Thanks Chris

I think this might be the way to go for modelling small areas of ground cover, if you mess it up its so much easier to put it right as opposed to making a mistake while working on the actual layout.

My initial reaction was actually speechless but a blank reply would have looked odd :lol:

It looks fantastic

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, JimRead said:

Hello Mark,

That was quick! But they look fantastic. Fair play to you :-)

Cheers - Jim

Thanks Jim

I have used about 10 tufts, its surprising how many you need in such a small space. Probably going to put a couple more in, I will see how it looks after the varnish has been added.

• RMweb Premium

First coat of varnish applied tonight, will need another 5 or 6 coats, also added a bit more vegetation. Plus on the gate I put a chain around it, there is a padlock on the chain but you can hardly see it as it is on the opposite side of the gate. A few more progress pics.

117.jpg.819589c4dc228dd0643427b7b2ec5885.jpg

118.jpg.670650c115dd06ec04ac404cb53c6684.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Calidore said:

You've got a gift for this, Mark. That's some of the best terrain modelling I've seen :happy_mini:

Adam

Thank you Adam

Very kind of you to say so. Lets see what happens when I put it in place on the layout and blend it all in, that will be the test :unsure:

I'm going to attempt the fencing running across this boggy bit of land with some of it broken and partly submerged into the mud. At least I can work on it off set so to speak, making it much easier.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Mark beautiful modelling well done.

Thank you Kevin

I started on the fence last night and will try and finish that bit over the weekend. Sometimes when I visualise a scene in my minds eye, it doesn't always turn out as planned when transferred onto the model.

This could be one of those times - A fence too far!!