Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium

First update of the weekend, I am progressing well with the fence to the right of the gate, being able to remove this section of ground cover has made it very easy to thread the wire through the fence posts.

One fence post has been pushed right over flat into the boggy ground causing the other fence posts to be pulled out of vertical alignment. I still have the last fence post to add which will be pulled away from the end pillar of the tunnel retaining wall. The next stage will be to glue this section of ground in permanently and then blend it all in. I can then finally finish ballasting the track.

119.jpg.6852417d7c4f4e38b235631b12f658b6.jpg

120.jpg.739709e62dce6baaeca4586c4f30cceb.jpg

121.jpg.72c33c24dbb037f35d0a72ef54caf67b.jpg

122.jpg.dda1fdd116f2cf6821adc7d4a57caabc.jpg

123.jpg.249ae4c252d19e21bd1011685d92b47e.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I didn't quite manage to finish this section over the weekend but its very nearly there.

I have taken some pics with the tunnel mouth and r/h retaining wall removed so you can see how easier it is to work on when you have 360 degree access.

124.jpg.28e4d47db07dc925299af870503cd035.jpg

125.jpg.5a09183158f004ec07d6f1b5fa7f99c2.jpg

126.jpg.884093c7c63334898c09a10d7502ad4a.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I've gone as far as I can with this area of the ground cover for now. The blending in is now completed with the addition of some more filler to hide the join, painted brown and then some gorsey yellow stuff on top.

A couple of areas of static grass to finish the greenery off and then to add the top most piece of wire through the posts will finish this area off.

Here's how it looks at the moment.

127.jpg.62ab1e9752ef4ac971419ea80b68c2fb.jpg

128.jpg.1625c28f66448bcbc5607139aeb59ac7.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Bo-Bo said:

Mark I do like how you have replicated the look of paint peeling and becoming weathered on the gates, nicely done.

Thanks Bo-Bo,

I used a chipping medium to get the effect. After painting the gate ivory, I applied the chipping medium by brush, waited for it to dry and then with a stiff  wet brush worked it into the surface to remove some of the paint. Where the paint was removed I then painted it with tones of brown grey with a hint of green to replicate weathered wood beneath the top coat of paint.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Return of an old favourite, Rail-car No 8 emerges from the tunnel mouth on the final approach to Tyteford Halte. George the driver raises his hand to acknowledge the signalman, who happens to be his uncle Sid.

Meanwhile, on board, the 12 regular passengers who have been alerted by sudden bursts of sunlight streaming through the rail-car windows, begin to shuffle in their seats as they gather their belongings. They will soon be alighting and embarking on the 2 mile trek back to the village of Tyteford after a hard days work.

There's also a view of what you would see from on top of the tunnel if you clambered up the embankment and looked down on the track below.

129.jpg.6b5d8649ebd70764947ea270b7ce0a01.jpg

130.jpg.ec3394280ac7cfbfde99156d2daab9a1.jpg

131.jpg.e25821a617f8f0e5e39a059bf395bdd8.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Stunning as always Mark.  Thanks for sharing the overhead shot - I had a good look and cannot see a join where you’ve blended in the boggy bit.  What do you use for the photos - they always come out really well (including when stretched to bigger than life size to look at the detail?

Only downside: hadn’t realised it was a 2 mile walk home.  The bus does sound like a tempting alternative, I’m afraid.  Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(autocorrect error corrected)
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Stunning as always Mark.  Thanks for sharing the overhead shot - I had a good look and cannot see a join where you’ve blended in the boggy bit.  What do you use for the photos - they always come out really well (including when stretched to bigger than life size to look at the detail?

Only downside: hadn’t realised it was a 2 mile walk home.  The bus does sound like a tempting alternative, I’m afraid.  Keith.

Thank you Keith

The photos are taken with my Samsung Galaxy S7 camera phone. The file size always seems to be about 2.5MB, not sure how you reduce this as I can only upload a max of about 4 photos per post due to the 10MB limit.

I then open Paint, just to crop anything out which isn't required, then I upload it. The only problem I have, is the very shallow depth of field which becomes more apparent at greater magnification as then only a very small plane will be in sharp focus and the rest of the image becomes blurry. I learnt quite a bit from watching Andy Yorks tutorial where he explained how layout photos are taken and edited ready for publishing in BRM, using a Canon camera and editing software, well worth a look, here is the link. This was shown on day 2 of the World of Railways Virtual Exhibition.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Stunning on the gate and ground cover, as ever! Everything here just looks right. 

Out of interest, how does the whole layout look now? 

If you're using paint to crop your photos, then that shrink them too - click "resize" (to the right of the select tool I think), and enter your desired percentage or pixel size. Make sure to "save as" afterwards, and not overwrite the original photo! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

Stunning on the gate and ground cover, as ever! Everything here just looks right. 

Out of interest, how does the whole layout look now? 

If you're using paint to crop your photos, then that shrink them too - click "resize" (to the right of the select tool I think), and enter your desired percentage or pixel size. Make sure to "save as" afterwards, and not overwrite the original photo! 

Thank you very much, I'm very pleased with how the layout is looking, there are still a number of unfinished items to complete but I'm nearly there. I will have a dabble with Paint and see if I can get a panoramic shot showing the layout in its entirety, it will be a side on view - just thought I will need to move all the clutter out of the way first, so maybe tomorrow for the post. :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark, I have found that a slightly laborious but effective way of reducing file size on photos while editing is as follows:

I take the photos I post onto RMweb on a Galaxy A3 phone and then transfer them to a laptop.  I open a blank PowerPoint presentation and import the photos as pictures so I can make some simple adjustments (including cropping).  I then re-save the pictures as JPEG files on the laptop ready for loading up onto RMweb.  This reduces the file size of each photo to around 100kb.

It’s not a very sophisticated approach, and I can’t do any of the adjustments Andy York demonstrates in the video, but it means I have no problem with file size and can add text boxes etc.  It may help that I’m generally taking pictures of individual kits or very simple layout shots, so detail isn’t going to be a big factor of course but as a work around it’s not given me any trouble.  Keith.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi Mark, I have found that a slightly laborious but effective way of reducing file size on photos while editing is as follows:

I take the photos I post onto RMweb on a Galaxy A3 phone and then transfer them to a laptop.  I open a blank PowerPoint presentation and import the photos as pictures so I can make some simple adjustments (including cropping).  I then re-save the pictures as JPEG files on the laptop ready for loading up onto RMweb.  This reduces the file size of each photo to around 100kb.

It’s not a very sophisticated approach, and I can’t do any of the adjustments Andy York demonstrates in the video, but it means I have no problem with file size and can add text boxes etc.  It may help that I’m generally taking pictures of individual kits or very simple layout shots, so detail isn’t going to be a big factor of course but as a work around it’s not given me any trouble.  Keith.

Thanks again Keith

I'd not even considered using PP as a solution before, I shall give it a go.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This ones for Technic Arrow and Keith, a panoramic view of the layout from end to end at just 251kb and 267kb file size. Just to show state of progress to date. You can see the signal box needs revisiting and more work and detail on the right side of the platform is needed, couple more benches and passengers. The platform lights need weathering as does the shelter. I am currently installing the post and wire fencing running off from the left hand side of the gate. One of the final tasks will to form the tunnel lining with some flexible brick sheet and then cover the top with lots more vegetation.  I also want to add a telegraph pole or two somewhere. 

132.jpg.46f6311fad91fbe37f9ee4932b9331fd.jpg

133.jpg.9306ffc075b5444ef63900f2fff51bc3.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Mark, thank you for sharing  this overview of your superb work. I can only marvel at your skill and attention to detail it continues to inspire me to improve my own. 

John

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Warwick Sidings said:

Mark, thank you for sharing  this overview of your superb work. I can only marvel at your skill and attention to detail it continues to inspire me to improve my own. 

John

Thank you John,

Your one of the earlier followers of my thread and many thanks to you and everyone one else for all the likes and comments along the way. Its the comments and feedback that keep all us modelers going and drives us to come up with ever more interesting scenes and locations to model.

All the best

Mark 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, eastworld said:

To quote my earlier comment: "Whenever I see layouts like this it makes me want to build a GWR layout. Must resist..... Stu"

Stu:D

Thanks Stu

Maybe just have a go at a GWR themed photo-plank to scratch that itch.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Excellent modelling, been browsing the thread and am coming away with lots of inspiration on an otherwise dull morning.  Thanks!

The railway halt is generally underrepresented in modelling, in my view. Despite the limitations in some respects, I think they deserve more attention - also as operating layouts. I keep returning to @Tim V's lovely Whitchurch Halt: http://www.gwr.org.uk/layoutswhitchurch.html

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Excellent modelling, been browsing the thread and am coming away with lots of inspiration on an otherwise dull morning.  Thanks!

The railway halt is generally underrepresented in modelling, in my view. Despite the limitations in some respects, I think they deserve more attention - also as operating layouts. I keep returning to @Tim V's lovely Whitchurch Halt: http://www.gwr.org.uk/layoutswhitchurch.html

Hi Mikkel

I am truly humbled by your comments. Its a good feeling to know that my little project has given some inspiration. I agree about under representation with regard to modelling halts, not sure why as there are a wealth of details which can be included to make a beautiful scene. A basic fiddle yard at each end to represent a through line halt can still give hours of enjoyment operationally, I feel. I am now temped to add a 2 lane traverser to Tyteford Halte as I am about to embark on constructing a chassis to fit my Airfix GWR 14XX which will run with the Airfix autocoach. This is now starting to evolve from the initial concept of a test track. Should be fun taking it in turns to run the railcar and the 14XX in and out of the tunnel and gently pulling into the halte.

Mark

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Gosh, thanks Mikkel, Whitchurch is long retired, but ranks I think as the only layout I've finished!

It is always a case that less is more (as you say) ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its been a while since I posted an update, just haven't had the inclination lately to get Tyteford Halte completed.

I managed to get some motivation from somewhere this evening and got one task out of the way which I had been putting off, which was the tunnel lining. I wasn't looking forward to this as there were angles everywhere and trigonometry is not my forte.

I used a thin card template first and then copied the outline onto a sheet of plastic flexible brick sheet. It seems to have done the job.

134.jpg.1170493a63ecc62d16d8c37c3ec3fc1c.jpg

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, kitpw said:

That's a very nice horseshoe arch and lining! - I particularly like the all header corbelling setting back into the piers/panels above as well.

Kit PW

Swan Hill - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/blog/2502-swan-hill/

Thank you for the kind comments, the tunnel portal is a Wills kit which has some nice detail. I'm gointg to add some wet staining down the face of the tunnel lining after I have worked on a convincing technique using a bit of scrap brick sheet.

The tunnel lining is also removable which helps a lot when addig the finer detail.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've added some gloss varnish to represent water running down the tunnel lining. The point rodding is also now extended and running off through the tunnel and just needs painting in.

Last bit of track ballasting to do and weathering and then it will be top side of the tunnel which will involve some height modification to the right end of the backscene first.

Looks like there burning rubbish again.

135.jpg.203d3f2718a449a06fc0ba9c9417c8fb.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 12