Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Mark I do like using varnish which brings out the affect of water on objects. Nice done along with the rods.

Thanks Kevin

I find that generally good old gloss varnish gives a better result than many of the proprietary products available designed for for water effects.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well its been a while but I finally talked myself into having another attempt at tackling the signal pulleys and cabling leading off from the signal box. Much fiddling later I eventually managed to glue in place two lengths of fine chain around the double pulley housing and fix it all down on the layout. Its now just the small matter of attaching the signal wire to the end of the chains. I have also now ballasted the track right into the tunnel, here's a couple of pics for tonight.

136.jpg.c3371731a2200e60848e5b2cd6aa1041.jpg

137.jpg.48c37c2069a20f0a0ede5419bff4fab8.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Some progress to report this evening. A little carpentry was required to add some height at the right hand end of the layout to form the start of the sub-structure for above the tunnel. I have now decided to add a removable two track traverser or sector plate and so have cut a tunnel entrance into the r/h ply end panel. Signal cabling is now complete, barring some stray ends which need tidying up. I can now finally return to the signal box to get that completed.

138.jpg.64b647d35ea8ad5471abd343786fa1f2.jpg

139.jpg.cd75596a76cc817b8338a0de47939265.jpg

140.jpg.814b330ac95e714ea7ff15fe680735d9.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I've just caught up with your thread Mark and the layout is looking superb! I really like the marshy bit and the weathering of the tunnel lining, that's something that you don't always see done. Great stuff! :)

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, sb67 said:

I've just caught up with your thread Mark and the layout is looking superb! I really like the marshy bit and the weathering of the tunnel lining, that's something that you don't always see done. Great stuff! :)

Thank you Steve, very kind of you to say so. Looking forward to your next Rustons Sidings update :)

• RMweb Premium

Telegraph pole installed and I decided that the cables from the pole should be run through the tunnel and not over the top. I cut some small pieces of plastic angled strip to represent small brackets to support the cable within the tunnel. The cabling stiil needs to be glued to the top of the brackets with a slight droop of the cable between each bracket. I seem to be looking for any excuse to add more ivy and the telegraph pole is a prime candidate, so it got the treatment. Here are some progress pics...,

141.jpg.0b84cbb55ca8ef3cbe835e03470943df.jpg

142.jpg.91f278d451ef6d84a00f66f3bd15d0bd.jpg

143.jpg.7884ebed317361e6fb4f70aa67fc7dad.jpg

144.jpg.1411c2b6ff9ee8b94543ee55f06d678a.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work once again. Those shots of the telegraph pole from below look good. I like how the ivy helps to bring the different components together.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Very nice work once again. Those shots of the telegraph pole from below look good. I like how the ivy helps to bring the different components together.

Thanks Mikkel

Yes, the ivy is very good at blending and bringing items together at joins, particularly when using different materials or textures, and is also very useful for disguising a multitude of modelling mishaps (thankfully).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well it was over a week ago that I said that I would get back to completing the signal box and I finally started the completion process yesterday evening. Sorting the lighting out was first on the list and as I was also adding lighting to the platform shelter and there were the two station lamps to consider, I decided to use the Just Plug system for simplicity as the lighting hub also has built in dimmer controls for each output. I chose a yellow 30mA stick on LED to simulate a weakish oil lighting effect for the signal box, will use the same for the shelter. The platform lamps are also the oil type.

The LED was stuck directly to the underside of the rear roof section of the signal box and the two cables were run neatly down the internal corner of the model whereby when viewing through the front glazing the wiring is hidden from view by the open door and placement of the arm chair. From the image below you will see that the light bleed from the underside of the roof is the next stage to address (front section of roof is not fixed as yet).

I have also slightly built up the height of the signal box to accommodate the pulley chains going underneath by sitting it on a brick plinth. The increased height also meant I needed to add a couple of steps to the doorway.

Anyway, here’s the pics including a night time one showing the light bleed...

145.jpg.f349fcdc34fc3a1f5805477c537408fd.jpg

146.jpg.6d098703cc49492a92245ede4f611919.jpg

147.jpg.0bd559c0b0518d01402448fd845e0950.jpg

148.jpg.1f8f1cb8a78e7bb083731584fcf0a9e7.jpg

149.jpg.9b4be0ee32179dc665b8c5b73f07b280.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Lights on - Lights off, another view of the signal box with the pathway leading up to the door now completed. The front section of the roof is still awaiting to be be fixed in place.

150.jpg.1b2c182e7aa3fab7b28cb0a419946ade.jpg

151.jpg.cc35a747b1773bef1d6e1cce03d1c9ee.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been working on another cameo scene involving the signal box. The background to this scene revolves around Sid the signal man who has been suffering from too much slack in his levers and linkages. A few of the PW gang will make an appearance to take a look. May I introduce the first two characters Tom and Charlie. Tom is kneeling and I'm thinking he needs a big spanner or shifter. Sid and one other will make an appearance soon...

152.jpg.211bf9fa7f796367ec84a806a50256bc.jpg

153.jpg.298df20c3ac87e30fc69d6ef6398b96a.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There's a bit of activity outside the signal box now. I have temporarily placed 3 of the figures in positions I think would work. Sid the signal man is still in the paint shop.

154.jpg.68c0a89ee5d449a1242a988163b2a43d.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I guess you can see what I was trying to achieve here - Your typical British workmen, one working while the others look on.

I might play about with the positions of the figures a bit more to see if I can improve it further before they are glued down permanently. 

Next will be to replace the chair and a few other items inside the signal box, fix the roof and add lichen and moss to it, tidy up the ends of the signal cables where they connect to the pulley chains and run a telegraph cable from the post to the signal box and that will complete that little section.

154.jpg.d061a33cdd37d2fd3c8003b99010c3c6.jpg

155.jpg.40d94637bcb1656f9540f25e2ec409bb.jpg

156.jpg.39beb8b00616f48313b88b7e493f0252.jpg

157.jpg.86e857cde0fc77906bf5cc3eca4dd98b.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2020 at 11:54, eastworld said:

Just the right level of  "glow" from the signal box lighting - nicely atmospheric.

Stu

Thanks Stu

Its so much easier to get the lighting levels correct using the light hub as opposed to adjusting the voltage by some other means.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MAP66 said:

I guess you can see what I was trying to achieve here - Your typical British workmen, one working while the others look on.

I might play about with the positions of the figures a bit more to see if I can improve it further before they are glued down permantly. 

Next will be to repalce the chair and a few other items inside the signal box, fix the roof and add lichen and moss to it, tidy up the ends of the signal cables where they connect to the pulley chains and run a telegraph cable from the post to the signal box and that will complete that little section.

20200904_184057[1].jpg

20200904_184124[1].jpg

20200904_184206[1].jpg

It's a bit of an aside, but I think these close-up photos of the cameos really show the benefits of using P4 track as well, and the ballasting looks spot on.  That probably feels like it was all done a long time ago, but it was worth it.

Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Keith

Yes it was back in January when I first started ballasing the station section of track, when times where still normal.

I think the P4 track gauge makes it look that little bit more realistic, even if other details are not correct. Makes it more forgiving somehow.

Mark.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/09/2020 at 06:48, MAP66 said:

Lights on - Lights off, another view of the signal box with the pathway leading up to the door now completed. The front section of the roof is still awaiting to be be fixed in place.

20200830_201148[1].jpg

20200830_200713[1].jpg

Who on earth bothers to put an interior and lighting in a tiny signal box :jester:

Looks great! especially with the light lighting the pathway

I was tempted to put a smoke generator in mine for the stove but common sense prevailed

Top job at always Mark :good:

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Who on earth bothers to put an interior and lighting in a tiny signal box :jester:

Looks great! especially with the light lighting the pathway

I was tempted to put a smoke generator in mine for the stove but common sense prevailed

Top job at always Mark :good:

Chris

Chris

Where both crazy enough to do it and you won't be at all surprised that for a few nano seconds I also thought about putting in a smoke generator :jester:

I'll pop over to Warren Branch in a bit to see how you've been getting on - always worth the trip.

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Chris

Where both crazy enough to do it and you won't be at all surprised that for a few nano seconds I also thought about putting in a smoke generator :jester:

I'll pop over to Warren Branch in a bit to see how you've been getting on - always worth the trip.

Mark

You don’t have to be crazy to be on here but it helps :lol:

You’re always welcome at Warren, not a lot going on with the layout but I have been doing some work on a couple of special rolling stock items

Chris

• Thanks 1