Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sb67 said:

Coming along very nicely Mark and I love the photo looking out from the tunnel. The whole layout looks superb, the colours are very natural and the little cameo's really bring it to life. Well done! :)

Hi Steve, hope you're well

I couldn't agree more, very impressive

Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, sb67 said:

Coming along very nicely Mark and I love the photo looking out from the tunnel. The whole layout looks superb, the colours are very natural and the little cameo's really bring it to life. Well done! :)

Thanks Steve, very nice of you to say so.

I hope you find time to get back to' Rustons Sidings' in the not too distant future and get some locos weathered and running, looking forward to seeing that.

In the meantime, I am very much enjoying following your new boxfile thread 'Sentinel Works', its looking excellent.

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Hi Steve, hope you're well

I couldn't agree more, very impressive

Chris

Thanks again for the kind and encouraging words Chris.

Has that road over bridge arrived yet?

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Thanks again for the kind and encouraging words Chris.

Has that road over bridge arrived yet?

Mark

Credit where it is due!

The bridge kit has arrived and I’m currently using it to determine heights etc

Although having stopped to do something else non-model railway related the momentum on Warren has slowed to a crawl at the moment 

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Thanks Steve, very nice of you to say so.

I hope you find time to get back to' Rustons Sidings' in the not too distant future and get some locos weathered and running, looking forward to seeing that.

In the meantime, I am very much enjoying following your new boxfile thread 'Sentinel Works', its looking excellent.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

The boxfile is a nice distraction but I'm trying to come up with an idea for something else to run my collection of diesels on. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

A few scenic items I had ordered arrived this morning, so progress has once again started to get the tunnel area completed.

Just the one pic today to show where I have made a start again., Static grass used are various summer green and dead grass colours with lengths of 1, 2 & 4mm, all applied with a puffer bottle.

The bushes etc. are from Polak (usual disclaimers) and is a very fine mesh normally used for pulling about and stretching over tree armatures to replicate leaves. I am going to use some of this stuff to drape over the brick face of the tunnel portal as it looks more realistic than what's already there.

179.jpg.5d5739bfb4f9fbd250825d2798525527.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

A new purchase, couldn’t resist this little LB&SCR Terrier ‘Merton’ from Hornby (R3283).

It’s a bit too far South for Tyteford and the wrong era, so I have placed it on the only bit of track which doesn’t look too GWR’ish.

One day, when space is available, I hope to model my interpretation of Merton Abbey station and goods facilities in pre-grouping days before it became part of the Southern network.

Born and raised in Merton, SW London, I’ve always wanted to do this but still await the opportunity. This little purchase brings it that little bit closer to reality for a project some time in the future.

I managed to perch the Terrier on the P4 track by slightly raising the off-side wheels with a thin strip of plas-strut. Looks OK for the photo :unsure:

180.jpg.f2e70baafbe63d4f16e01681da00e038.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 29/09/2020 at 16:15, MAP66 said:

20200929_154358[1].jpg

20200929_154701[1].jpg

20200929_154556[1].jpg

As someone who is not a fan of heights, the feeling of being suspended directly above such a vertical drop these photos gave me when I first saw them was far too realistic! (This is a compliment of course).

Can see why you went for the Terrier: the quality of the current generation of small r-t-r locos is just wonderful.  Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

As someone who is not a fan of heights, the feeling of being suspended directly above such a vertical drop these photos gave me when I first saw them was far too realistic! (This is a compliment of course).

Can see why you went for the Terrier: the quality of the current generation of small r-t-r locos is just wonderful.  Keith.

Hi Keith

Rest assured, when I took the aerial shot my feet were firmly planted on terra firma, carpet to be exact. Hopefully the vertigo will subside soon :lol:

Glad you approve of the Terrier purchase, I couldn't resist.

Mark.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/10/2020 at 13:15, Kevin Johnson said:

Mark the tunnel embankment looks blooming great, I like the different foliage textures you have used.

The Hornby terrier is a lovely purchase and looks great on the layout.:good:

Thanks for the nice comments Kevin. Its turned out better than I had expected and works well as a photo plank and test track.

Here's a couple more pics of the tunnel area.

Mark

182.jpg.80ea70d225de7215cb4386f3d9e0977c.jpg

183.jpg.9f56b6827ed6deb1aecb44d985efc5ca.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Great stuff Mark. The Terrier looks at home in that photo, I can see why you couldn't resist it! 

Thanks Steve,

Bit of an impulse buy, one too many bottles of Doombar and then surf the internet for railway stuff! Only this time it worked out well and definately no regrets :good:

Mark

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Thanks Steve,

Bit of an impulse buy, one too many bottles of Doombar and then surf the internet for railway stuff! Only this time it worked out well and definately no regrets :good:

Mark

Nothing wrong with that Mark, I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it. :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally finished with the tunnel section and now time to leave that bit alone and to stop adding more bits of scenery. Walk away Mark, walk away.

I noticed that a lot of debri and residue had built up on the track rails as a result of my less than tidy scenery exploits, so it was time to get out the track rubber. 

After cleaning down the track to a satisfactory finish I powered it up and had a test run with the railcar and thankfully all was OK :good:

I will now be moving underside to attend to some wiring and then back to the platform to finish that area off. It will then be a case of finishing off the layout front facia with some brown paint and varnish and then deciding on how I can add a sector plate which wasn't part of the plan to start with but the idea is growing on me.

Here's a few more shots of the railcar emerging from, which I have now named, Tyteford Tunnel.

184.jpg.20aac91a88d2b42a24db1a73fdd44427.jpg

185.jpg.422872f5e73b413b2f5da835208734e1.jpg

186.jpg.851b855eb8d8bcbaad61caa4634a32cd.jpg

187.jpg.d8336bbc8342fb2ea97d459d34b6e8e1.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

For once, I said what I was going to do and have returned to the platform area to finish some detailing. I have started with the pagoda shelter and the idea was to give Fred and Arthur plenty to be getting on with after they finish the fencing repairs. So the shelter is going to be a bit worse for wear and in need of their expert attention. I've included a shot of the pagoda how it used to look as a comparison.  I need to address the floating effect which ready made buildings suffer from when planted onto a layout as you should not be able to see any visible gap (however minute) between the ground and the building. This is easily overcome when planting a building on an uneven surface as you can use all manner of ground cover and filler to conceal the gaps but not so easy on a dead level surface like a platform.

Platform seating and passengers will be next, I just need to remember where I stashed that Metcalf bench kit (Other GWR benches are available).

190.jpg.4b9244eaac98778ac20930d73ceef807.jpg

188.jpg.c2c1d2a9ddf1f97eef1f8ffd219475d7.jpg

189.jpg.ea3dba4e7869234c650c6659a5b68060.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 16

9 hours ago, MAP66 said:

I need to address the floating effect which ready made buildings suffer from when planted onto a layout as you should not be able to see any visible gap (however minute) between the ground and the building.

I'm not sure you do in this case... I am pretty sure the corrugated iron is cladding on a frame, so it would probably sit slightly above the surface. Have a look at the pagoda hut at Didcot, half way down this page:

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/19/the-branch-line/17404ed6589ce7ade465470e053b9897

There is a good inch between the cladding and the platform surface there... which I think your model captures quite well at the minute!!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, FraserClarke said:

I'm not sure you do in this case... I am pretty sure the corrugated iron is cladding on a frame, so it would probably sit slightly above the surface. Have a look at the pagoda hut at Didcot, half way down this page:

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/19/the-branch-line/17404ed6589ce7ade465470e053b9897

There is a good inch between the cladding and the platform surface there... which I think your model captures quite well at the minute!!

Hi Fraser

Thank you for the info on the pagoda shelter, I hadn't realised that there could be a visible gap which is acceptable in 4mm scale. So all good and one less job to do :good:

Mark