Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi Mark, thanks for sharing this here as well - excellent as always: totally convincing.

Thank you Keith, most of us modellers have a need for a tree or two at some point, so I hope my tree building encounter is of some benefit.

I think tree building is a good skill to have in ones modelling armoury, which is why I took the plunge to have a go myself and very glad I did.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, ManofKent said:

The tree looks great - seafoam seems to work really well for Sycamore, and Ash, pretty well for many other deciduous species, but not Birch. 

Thank you, I think the tree looks great too, I am very pleased with the outcome. You've got me thinking about attempting a silver birch - we'll see.

41 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Thank you, I think the tree looks great too, I am very pleased with the outcome. You've got me thinking about attempting a silver birch - we'll see.

I'm going to have to as Birch is the predominant species in the area I'm modelling, unless I give in ang spend a fortune on MBR's trees - they seem about the only realistic ready made options - https://mbrmodel.eu/en/products/deciduous-trees/birch/birch-12-16cm-summer/  Getting the airly hanging foliage pads right is going to be tricky - heavilly teased polyfibre sems the obvious choice.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, ManofKent said:

I'm going to have to as Birch is the predominant species in the area I'm modelling, unless I give in ang spend a fortune on MBR's trees - they seem about the only realistic ready made options - https://mbrmodel.eu/en/products/deciduous-trees/birch/birch-12-16cm-summer/  Getting the airly hanging foliage pads right is going to be tricky - heavilly teased polyfibre sems the obvious choice.

Thanks for sharing the link, haven't seen these before - I see what you mean by costing a fortune if you are modeling any areas requiring quite a few trees.

Polak do an ultra fine foilage mesh  https://polakscenics.uk/product/naturex-birch-green-2/  which could have potential. I'm not sure how many trees you would get from the £7.99 pack but probably enough fo 6 birch trees. I would use wire for constructing a silver birch as IMHO you would get a better result for hanging the clumps of teased out mesh from. Silver Birch is now on my to do list but I will cover it under my other thread in due course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Thanks for sharing the link, haven't seen these before - I see what you mean by costing a fortune if you are modeling any areas requiring quite a few trees.

Polak do an ultra fine foilage mesh  https://polakscenics.uk/product/naturex-birch-green-2/  which could have potential. I'm not sure how many trees you would get from the £7.99 pack but probably enough fo 6 birch trees. I would use wire for constructing a silver birch as IMHO you would get a better result for hanging the clumps of teased out mesh from. Silver Birch is now on my to do list but I will cover it under my other thread in due course.

Yes I don't think they're bad value for the quality - you can easily pay more for less realistic trees, but I'm going to need a fair few trees. 

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, sb67 said:

Thanks for the inspiration over the year Mark. I've enjoyed watching Tyteford Halt progress, have you any ideas for a next project? 

Hi Steve

Thanks for following and for the great comments throughout the year, all very much appreciated.

I have a few ideas rattling around in my brain, not for a layout as no room unfortunately. For now I will continue with kit building, maybe some rust wagon weathering (haven't tried that yet) and I need to have another go at point construction in P4, with a tie bar that I'm happy with. Then there's that High Level chassis kit I need to make a start on for the Airfix 14XX - oh, and the Airfix Autocoach which I started to improve and have since abandoned. Before all that though, there's a few final tweaks at TH to complete and I'm at the moment, at least, still happy with making trees - silver birch next.

Hope your still keeping busy on the modelling front too.

All the best

Mark

• Like 4

You're welcome Mark. Good to see you've got plenty of ideas, I'm struggling with some ballasting at the moment, plenty of time to sort it out though, then I'd like to build some of the wagon it's I've squirrelled away for a rainy day! 

Stay safe.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've taken a short break from tree making and come back to Tyteford Halte in a final push to get a few things finished off.

It seems the little people of TH have become somewhat impatient with my lack of involvement lately and have taken it upon themselves to make a start on painting the front of the layout facia.

I startled one of them (friend of Arthur the painter I think) when I went downstairs early this morning and switched the light on, nearly causing the little fellow to fall from his ladder.

Anyway, I think they were just hinting at me to get on with it, lets face it will take ages with that brush and one ladder, so I will take over.:paint:   

204.jpg.26f3fd5e7569ebdc47badeb699469a28.jpg

205.jpg.d228fda3a54f691580c67cddba2bcf0f.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

On 02/02/2021 at 19:37, Wrenn said:

........No but honestly I like the little stories you keep coming up with.

Stories? Stories? What do mean @Wrenn - are you suggesting the workers at Tyteford Halte aren't painting the Fascia? ;) 
Great touch @MAP66 wish I could get some 4mm scale folk helping with my modelling :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, marc smith said:

Stories? Stories? What do mean @Wrenn - are you suggesting the workers at Tyteford Halte aren't painting the Fascia? ;) 
Great touch @MAP66 wish I could get some 4mm scale folk helping with my modelling :)

Careful what you wish for marc, the little people are very impatient folk and only help if they feel things are not progressing fast enough for them. Although their intentions are sometimes good, they are rubbish workers, being too rigid and inflexible for my liking. You can't read them either, no facial expression . I just tolerate them as I don't wish to offend them. I'll be painting the facia at the weekend :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Careful what you wish for marc, the little people are very impatient folk and only help if they feel things are not progressing fast enough for them. Although their intentions are sometimes good, they are rubbish workers, being too rigid and inflexible for my liking. You can't read them either, no facial expression . I just tolerate them as I don't wish to offend them. I'll be painting the facia at the weekend :jester:

My HO-Scale people would have to work 14% harder to cover the same area: then there's the $ exchange rate and the time difference (etc...).  No wonder I've fallen behind with the project!  At least it's the weekend soon.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

My HO-Scale people would have to work 14% harder to cover the same area: then there's the $ exchange rate and the time difference (etc...).  No wonder I've fallen behind with the project!  At least it's the weekend soon.

One of my friends calls them "Preiserlings".  

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Salmotrutta said:

One of my friends calls them "Preiserlings".  

Nice one, I sometimes refer to mine as "Ulings" (same train of thought), as the little folk of TH are descended from the greater "Model" tribe.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As promised, front fascia painted and name plate applied. That should keep the little folk happy for the time being and give me a bit of head scratching time to figure out a sector plate.

206.jpg.be499046e1be742327633c3978531290.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 16

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, D602bulldog said:

Very nice some good modelling there who makes the railcar.

cheers

Thanks for commenting, much appreciated. The railcar is by Dapol model No. 4D-011-004D and I had it converted to P4.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Just caught up with this thread, not sure how I missed it - fantastic modelling! Your attention to detail is superb!

Thank you Nick, glad you enjoyed it. I haven't done much with it for several months now and its about to be packed away ready for our house move.

Hopefully, it will survive the trip intact and then I might even get the chance to add the sector plate which, to date, still only exists in my brain and has not yet reached physical form.

Good luck with your current projects, I like the start you've made on Hurst Lane Halt.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Thank you Nick, glad you enjoyed it. I haven't done much with it for several months now and its about to be packed away ready for our house move.

Hopefully, it will survive the trip intact and then I might even get the chance to add the sector plate which, to date, still only exists in my brain and has not yet reached physical form.

Good luck with your current projects, I like the start you've made on Hurst Lane Halt.

Hi Mark, I read somewhere else you have a house move pending - hope it all goes through OK. 

I've often found moving reawakened my interest in model railways, (fresh start, new opportunity and all that sort of stuff), so here's hoping for that sector plate, Keith.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi Mark, I read somewhere else you have a house move pending - hope it all goes through OK. 

I've often found moving reawakened my interest in model railways, (fresh start, new opportunity and all that sort of stuff), so here's hoping for that sector plate, Keith.

Thanks Keith, appreciate that. I have everything crossed that it all goes smoothly and doesn't end up pear shaped (the move that is, not the sector plate :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have just spent several hours, dipping in, and out of this thread over the last 24 hours. I stumbled over it purely by chance really, as it’s not my favoured time period. Normally I dismiss anything outside of my time period of BR early 80’s to mid 90’s and move on.

Note to myself, to be more open minded, as I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, partly for the story that’s been told through the little people, but also the fantastic modelling that you’ve shown us. It’s a very inspirational piece of modelling, and a great little layout.

For a number of year’s now, I’ve wanted to build a layout, but time, and space have prevented me from building a decent size layout. This beautiful layout has given me a few ideas, and dare I say it, may even tempt me to try a different time period.

Thank you excellent build thread, tips, and ideas.

Charlie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Charlie, those are some very kind words Sir.

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread and I do hope you get to build that layout in the not too distant future.

All the best

Mark