Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium

Well its been several months since my last post and in all that time I have not undertaken any railway modelling whatsoever, as all modelling stuff is carefully packed up and stored away, due to trying to move house.

We still haven’t moved, first two properties fell through and were now on the third and are praying that its third time lucky for us. If all goes to plan we will be living in Somerset by the middle of May.

So, after all this time I was becoming fidgety and have finally succumbed to purchasing a few cheap hand tools etc. in a bid to make something which can be plonked onto Tyteford Halte as another cameo scene.

I also purchased a couple of guard figures from that 3D model figure company and a small fibre optic kit which works on a 3V battery.

To shed some light on what I’m up to, please see image below. Just remembered that I now need to buy some paints 🖌️

966640251_20220303_1609151.jpg.2ee2b5f762a8b163b997dba731076163.jpg

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Marc,

That's very kind of you to say so. I'm just waiting on paints and brushes to arrive in the post. Just hope my fidgetiness, through lack of modelling, calms down enough to allow a steady hand for the painting. :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Paints and some fine brushes arrived today, so I spent an hour this evening painting the guard figure. I still need to conceal the fibre optic feeding the hand lamp. The cable will run in a small channel which I have cut into the back of his right leg and then will be covered with some filler. Still a bit of touching up to do with the painting around the shirt collar and the tunic buttons - steady hand stuff 🖌️

1446419099_20220310_2032272.jpg.4cbdea669db83226ca010808cfd40b19.jpg 

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Paints and some fine brushes arrived today, so I spent an hour this evening painting the guard figure. I still need to conceal the fibre optic feeding the hand lamp. The cable will run in a small channel which I have cut into the back of his right leg and then will be covered with some filler. Still a bit of touching up to do with the painting around the shirt collar and the tunic buttons - steady hand stuff. 

20220310_203227[2].jpg

Amazing - in 4mm he can only be about an inch tall to the top of his hat?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/03/2022 at 08:23, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Amazing - in 4mm he can only be about an inch tall to the top of his hat?

Thanks Keith,

He is indeed a wee chappie and a challenge to work on - fun though. I've included a rear view of the figure with me holding him to show the 0.5mm hole drilled through the back of the lamp and his right leg. You can just about make out the channel down his right leg ending at the heel of his shoe.

53206357_20220311_1241501.jpg.70ff6b5f20112bfc57bd3b3056ec8878.jpg  1470848834_20220311_1242301.jpg.4cbd42a04c69db6bc5bf64469e2b2548.jpg

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The continuing adventures of GWR guard Wilfred Wick in his search for the lost train

I have since been in communication with Mr Wick and have advised him that his train would most certainly be in one of the 172 packed boxes. I was shocked by his response and I cannot reprint it here word for word. However, it roughly translated as; why did you allow me to use up all the oil in my lamp when you knew perfectly well, I had no chance of finding the train.

Yes folks, this means we have finally exchanged contracts on our house move and move date will be the 20th May (Hence all the packed boxes). This whole process started back in August 2021 and we are now on the third attempt to move to Somerset as the previous two properties fell through.

Tyteford Halt is now firmly wedged into a 77 litre Xmas tree crate and ready to go, along with the rest of our worldly possessions.

After we land in Somerset, Tyteford Halt and the rest of the little people who reside there will be back at some point to say hello again 😁

20220427_113352[1].jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark 

Just found your thread and the few pictures that survive  are great.

I appreciate you are getting ready for a house move now, l don’t suppose you have an overall view of Tyteford Halt you could upload to give the full picture?

Thanks 

Mark

• Thanks 1

Hi!

This is a beautiful layout! Even if a single track would not be enough for me personally, you have created one of the best layouts I know. The many small lovingly arranged details, the designing of landscape and especially the transition to the background are just great! Pictures that you like to look at again and again...

This great little layout would also go well in the "Micro Model Railway Dispatch", don't you think?

I wish you lots of fun with it and a lot of joy and success with the model railway!

Best regards,

ThomasG 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, ThomasG said:

Hi!

This is a beautiful layout! Even if a single track would not be enough for me personally, you have created one of the best layouts I know. The many small lovingly arranged details, the designing of landscape and especially the transition to the background are just great! Pictures that you like to look at again and again...

This great little layout would also go well in the "Micro Model Railway Dispatch", don't you think?

I wish you lots of fun with it and a lot of joy and success with the model railway!

Best regards,

ThomasG 

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for the very kind comments Sir, it seems that last Wednesdays re-posting of some of my saved images has been favourably received and that's always welcome to hear, my thanks also to Mark aka Asterix2012 for the request. I do hope that some of the earlier images are eventually restored and then I will endeavour to re-post any missing images within the thread.

I looked back through your Inglenook and micro layout builds and was reminded of the amount of fine details you included, its exceptional modelling.

Will 'Tyteford Halte' ever be considered to grace the pages of 'Micro Model Railway Dispatch' maybe, but I will need to move house first and then perhaps contact Ian Holmes to see if it could feature in a future edition.

All the best for now and good luck with all your railway modelling projects.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

"Will 'Tyteford Halte' ever be considered to grace the pages of 'Micro Model Railway Dispatch' maybe, but I will need to move house first and then perhaps contact Ian Holmes to see if it could feature in a future edition.

All the best for now and good luck with all your railway modelling projects."

Just drop me a line when you're ready

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi again Mark!

Thank you for your kind words! Very nice!
I wish you a successful house move!

Although I prefer to get to know new layouts in the "Micro Model Railway Dispatch" that I don't know from the forum yet, I would be very happy to find this layout there! But I'm patient, take the time you need...

Best regards,

ThomasG 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

"Will 'Tyteford Halte' ever be considered to grace the pages of 'Micro Model Railway Dispatch' maybe, but I will need to move house first and then perhaps contact Ian Holmes to see if it could feature in a future edition.

All the best for now and good luck with all your railway modelling projects."

Just drop me a line when you're ready

Ian

That's very much appreciated Ian, will do.

Probably will be around June/July time, after we have unpacked all our gear and found places to stick it all away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello folks, I have been spending the last week or so searching for and replacing the lost images and I'm now happy to report that all images are now fully restored 📸  Please enjoy for the second time around.

Mark.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Another addition to the platform detailing in the form of a bicycle. This is a bike from a brass fret and in 1/76 scale, obviously, the wheel spokes are far too fine to model. However, I feel that the open wheels without spokes look odd and so in an attempt to make it look like something should be there, I printed out some 4mm scale bike wheels onto clear acetate sheet, cut them out and glued them to the non-viewed side of the bike.

From normal viewing distance it does look like the bike wheels have spokes or a representation of them, which is what I was after, hell of a faff to do though. Unfortunately, you can't really see from the cruel close-up, here it is anyway...

216.jpg.6340c802f8201a0373ae4f70701f5e8d.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, simonmcp said:

Very nicely done. Thinking aloud, would it enhance the effect if you gloss varnished the "spokes"?

Thanks for the idea Simon, I can try it with gloss varnish as that could work.  I did spray the acetate sheet with matt varnish to stop the ink smudging but it gives a more white appearance,

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, its about time I got back to Tyteford Halte and I thought that sticking something else on the track instead of the railcar would be a way to get back into the modelling, as all the scenery was completed months ago.

Some time ago, I got hold of an old Airfix GWR auto-coach and a non-working class 14XX which I planned to modify and convert to P4 gauge. They had both sat patiently in a cupboard ever since, until now. At around the same time, I also purchased the High Level chassis kit for the 14XX and the DK1 auto coach detailing kit from Dart Castings.

I am a complete novice when it comes to rolling stock and loco re-builds or detailing them, I’m more at home with scenery or building a kit with clear diagrams and step by step instructions. My kit building experience to date on the rolling stock front totals 2 plastic wagon kits built to P4 standards and with loco’s, zero. I therefore, declare myself a novice in this particular area of railway modelling.

With that in mind, I thought it would be good to document the re-builds here and if all goes well they will feature on Tyteford Halte. For this to be a success, I will need help and I offer my advanced apologies for the quality of questions that I inevitably will subject you all to. I have no idea what these questions will be at this stage, only that I can hazard a guess that many will fall nicely into the Stupid Category, me being a novice an all. There will be several occasions I’m sure whereby the saying “there’s no such thing as a stupid question“ will be put to the test.

That’s enough waffle for now and I leave you with images of the 2 donor vehicles prior to me destroying improving them. Get ready for those questions! 😖

342850162_20230313_172304(002).jpg.17bd1a72bce6bb4fa91d535cedc6c1cf.jpg

The auto coach, shown already dismantled and with screw link couplings fitted at both ends.

204728423_20230313_172526(002).jpg.36b0921d74e579fcd99e9f058954036b.jpg

The non-running 14XX, looking a bit sorry for itself - thankfully, I only need the bodyshell.

• Like 6

I'm sure that I won't be the only one to point out that the only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask, shortly before making an assumption and directly before making a b*lls up.

I also have autocoach and the upgrade kit. I never got around to doing it after upgrading (and correcting) a pair of B Sets years ago, so I will be following with interest and probably asking some silly questions too.

I also have something of an Airfix 14XX graveyard, so I should be able to help there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm sure that I won't be the only one to point out that the only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask, shortly before making an assumption and directly before making a b*lls up.

I also have autocoach and the upgrade kit. I never got around to doing it after upgrading (and correcting) a pair of B Sets years ago, so I will be following with interest and probably asking some silly questions too.

I also have something of an Airfix 14XX graveyard, so I should be able to help there.

Thank you Mr Wolf kind Sir for your encouraging comments. I'm starting with the auto coach to diagram A30 as it has more in common with the Airfix model than the A28. I got that info from the detailing kit instructions. Speaking of which, I have now read for the umpteenth time and am still confused on various items. The instructions are fairly well written but the illustrations are a little unclear to me, especially the isometric with positions of all the rod hangers hmmm.

I will approach with caution and very much look forward to numerous silly question exchanges 😄

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2