Tyteford Halte

• RMweb Premium

ID back scene arrived today, so I quickly put it in place to see how it looks. My back board is only 11cm high, as I used an off-cut of ply and so that was the size. Because of this I opted to chop all the sky off the back-scene and just leave the greenery.

Looks OK, but I will need to be very creative in finding a way to fit in the level crossing as the road will need to look as if it goes somewhere, a tall ask as the base board is only 15cm wide. If it doesn't look convincing then the level crossing will be dropped and used on a future project.

3 pics tonight showing the back-scene and the chaos that is my work area. Senior management has requested demanded back use of dining table so its back to the top of the wardrobe for a few days. So no more posts for a little while.

It should be safe to bring it back out again after the weekend.

All the best Mark

025.thumb.jpg.8979237ba53aaee0cccd4068c9d4f88f.jpg

026.thumb.jpg.a7ee15e3ba20ed9251b2123968acb18b.jpg

027.thumb.jpg.34eac7c583106009d80a81f192ec17dd.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy to report that my test track has made it back down from on top of the wardrobe and back to the dining table, so its now back to business.

I managed a couple of hours on it tonight and the backscene is now fully fixed in place and I created most of the footpath leading up to the platform, this is to the right of the pagoda shelter as you view it from the front.

Had another stab at colouring the tunnel mouth and am now experimenting with coloured pencils, doesn't look too bad but still work in progress. 

Here's a few pics on what been happening tonight.

028.thumb.jpg.bfd5e691781b1d01b9dedabbfd37f889.jpg

029.thumb.jpg.829874504d0dd50ac23b7d85a8fd0f4b.jpg

030.thumb.jpg.6e61d3eb4a22289c38ecc68152e58997.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 11

Really like this project :)
Despite your baseboard not having much depth, the backscene works really well.
I definitely prefer a tunnel portal or overbridge to a level crossing in this instance - As you say, the road on a level crossing would go "nowhere"

From the tunnel portal, a high-ish retaining wall will help complete the scene
You can help disguise a lack of distance between the backscene and retaining wall, by using copious amounts of bushes / greenery on top of the tunnel
And it's surprising how much some over-hanging greenery / ivy can detract from a retaining wall being on the same plane as a backscene

Looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing this one complete :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Mark nice work on the footpath. Look forward to seeing the tunnel mouth painted, weathered and fitted in place.

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate your continued encouraging comments, keeps me focused and on track :thankyou:

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2020 at 09:16, marc smith said:

Really like this project :)
Despite your baseboard not having much depth, the backscene works really well.
I definitely prefer a tunnel portal or overbridge to a level crossing in this instance - As you say, the road on a level crossing would go "nowhere"

From the tunnel portal, a high-ish retaining wall will help complete the scene
You can help disguise a lack of distance between the backscene and retaining wall, by using copious amounts of bushes / greenery on top of the tunnel
And it's surprising how much some over-hanging greenery / ivy can detract from a retaining wall being on the same plane as a backscene

Looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing this one complete :)

Hi Marc

Thank you for your feedback and kind comments. I agree about the tunnel mouth some very well placed greenery is required to help blend this man made structure into the surrounding natural landscape and look like its been there for fifty years. Level crossing probably not going to happen, what was I thinking of!!  I am planning making a few trees, had a go at this previously using copper wire armature covered in grout and sea foam branches for my CBC entry 'The Coal Drop', I thought it looked quite good, here's a couple of pics showing said tree. For this project the trees will be a lot smaller and probably placed near the lamp hut and maybe to right of the tunnel mouth.

All the best

Mark

031.jpg.d89a14715bdf0c988886f872332bfc74.jpg

032.thumb.jpg.d42d70cd79497338225fe2973f9aa40f.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A few more progress pics tonight. I have decided to complete the platform end and surrounding detail first before I then move along the track to the tunnel mouth. The footpath leading up to the platform and running behind the shelter is now pretty much complete. I have just ordered some period GWR signage and posters for the shelter and fencing which should complement the seats and station name-boards. So that will keep me busy for the next week or two.

033.thumb.jpg.d5a30d3870368fc6ca5bb57d043e1550.jpg

034.thumb.jpg.a6e4243154e5fcd6a02354a425bac5b4.jpg

035.thumb.jpg.ec915a503a934f1e866937bf1e6660f5.jpg

036.thumb.jpg.25374ce566a28b5bdfb0b74d612c474c.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, marc smith said:

The latest photos show how well your backscene and model landscape blend together really well. Looking good sir :) 

Thank you Marc

I tried to blend in the back scene in an attempt to disguise the join where the horizontal meets the vertical by using various blends of green/brown static grass and flock at the join. The join is still apparent, just depends on the viewing angle as on some pics its almost invisible. Also forming a curve with the backscene at the left hand end also helps as it eliminates the crease you get with a 90 degree angle.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2020 at 20:50, simonmcp said:

Amazing blending of layout and backscene, I thought your baseboard went back to the fence! I think you have coloured the bridge really well, nice and subtle.

Thank you Simon

If I've managed to trick the eye, then I am more than happy with the result with only having 6" of depth to work with.

You mentioned the tunnel mouth, so I've stuck up another pic of the tunnel mouth, as I said in previous post, I'm not going any further with detailing the tunnel mouth until all the platform detailing is completed, but this is how it looks at the moment. I have just used coloured pencils for all the brick faces and concrete colour paint for the copings and mortar lines. Eventually when completed I intend to have trailing vines and loads of greenery added with some additional water staining etc.

All the best

Mark

037.thumb.jpg.527495651964eca385d7304be2aebf3e.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Mark the footpath area behind the platform looks really good and tricking the eye you have achieved really well.

Thanks Kevin, comments much appreciated.

I also intend to place some GWR type post and wire fencing following on from where the station fencing ends and then loosing it behind a small ground level signal box. I am going to experiment on a scrap of the photo ID backscene painting the remainder of this fence line disappearing into the distance. If the technique works I will then transfer onto the real backscene.

Wish me luck!

All the best Mark

• RMweb Premium

Further to my last post, the fencing arrived today so I have quickly fixed a few posts in place to illustrate what I'm trying to achieve.

The pic below shows how the fence line runs into the photo backscene and will disappear behind the left side of the signal box to then reappear on right side as a painted fence and pathway drawn onto the photo backscene. This will diminish in size and eventually will link up to the fence line already shown on the backscene. Should work in theory, just need to practice my painting and forced perspective skills.

038.thumb.jpg.49279ccd3fd9dc585f097efbbf3c8c87.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And so it begins, now committed to painting on the footpath and fence line onto the back scene.

I have marked out the post positions, next they will be painted on along with the footpath. Then maybe some feint wire lines.

039.thumb.jpg.687098468c8d1e9545d7da4b63fccfe3.jpg

040.thumb.jpg.75f4eb62159aba67db7c0949265733eb.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Fantastic little layout MAP66. I love the attention to detail and I have to keep studying the pictures to see where the backscene joins the baseboard. I'm looking forward to seeing the fence posts, that's a good idea to carry them on to the backscene.

What have you used for the ballast and groundwork? It looks very convincing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, sb67 said:

Fantastic little layout MAP66. I love the attention to detail and I have to keep studying the pictures to see where the backscene joins the baseboard. I'm looking forward to seeing the fence posts, that's a good idea to carry them on to the backscene.

What have you used for the ballast and groundwork? It looks very convincing.

Thank you sb67 for your kind comments, I have very much enjoyed following your thread 'Rustons Sidings' and in my view your ground works look spot on, looks like real soil from the pics and your grass is excellent.

The ballast I have used is sieved desert sand and stone mix ref JS75 by Javis, I happened to have quite a fine sieve which removed all the over scale lumpy stuff. The sieved remains, where in my onion, about right in size.

For the track in front of the platform where all the filth and gunk would normally accumulate and congeal with the ballast I represented this by first infilling all the sleepers with ready mixed deep gap polyfilla up to a level just below the sleepers. While still wet I then sprinkled on a few pieces of the ballast and gently tamped down in between each sleeper and outside of the rails. When dry I painted with several washes of very dilute sleeper grime and frame dirt by Rail Match and and a touch of Vallejo Black Grey 70.862 where there is likely to be more oil deposits left on the track bed. Away from the platform, I just apply the sieved ballast in normal way, brush into place then apply via a pipette water borne thinners again from Rail Match to saturate the ballast and then again via a pipette the good old dilute PVA with a touch of washing up liquid. 

For all the other ground works I have used the deep gap filler, its very easy to work with and can build up to a depth of 20 mm in one application, so ideal for micro layouts and dioramas. As a tip always apply some dilute PVA to the surface before placing the deep gap filler over the top. The PVA helps pull the filler onto the surface. When this is all dry I paint with brown acrylic and then apply static grass (combined mixture of colours and lengths) where needed using puffer bottle with some fine turf scatter sprinkled on top to bulk it out a bit. Where I have left bare ground I add some various brown washes and finally dry brush white and sand coloured weathering powders which is how I created the footpath.

All the best

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for your comments and the detailed explanation. I've not had a lot of luck with the static grass and puffer bottle or my tea strainer applicator. I always semi diluted the glue to spread it a bit easier but I think that was the problem. I like the area under the platform, that looks fantastic. I've used methods from the Gordon Gravett book on modelling grasslands and landscapes usin ash and sieved earth for ground work, I think in 4 mm scale it's important not to be too coarse with texture and a lot of effects can be done with powders and washes. I used woodland scenics fine ballast mixed with earth or ash and it's still a bit too coarse in places. 

I'll look forward to seeing how your layout progresses. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update tonight, not much progress to show but I have partly built the signal box and placed it roughly in the spot where it will be on the layout. Eventually it will probably be placed a little more to the left than it is now but  have gone a bit too far with the static grass and I will need to scrape some off to allow a level base for the SB.

I have run in 3 lengths of wire through the posts another 4 lengths to go, now realizing I should have done this before the grass as the lower post holes are buried in the grass. Never mind, its all a learning curve.

041.thumb.jpg.68231e3695993163ee1357806627d577.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Been following this for a while and I am really enjoying the build.....and the fact you take the time to explain what is happening so well.

Can I ask where you got the platform lights? apologies if you've already mentioned it.

Looking forward to seeing it develop further.

Regards,

James

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, jamest said:

Hi,

Been following this for a while and I am really enjoying the build.....and the fact you take the time to explain what is happening so well.

Can I ask where you got the platform lights? apologies if you've already mentioned it.

Looking forward to seeing it develop further.

Regards,

James

Hi James

Glad your enjoying the build and my general ramblings in attempting to explain the way I have gone about things.

The station lamps are from Gaugemaster, they are 'Taper post oil lamps GWR stone' pack of 3 GM814. I think they do a pack of 6 in the range as well as gas type lamps and also cover the other big 4 styles not just GWR lamps.

All the best

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Phew, finally managed to run the final 4 lengths of wire through the fence posts, would have tried the patience of a saint but only because I put the static grass down first. Otherwise it wouldn't have been a problem. I have started to paint the pathway and fence posts onto the back-scene, still needs a little work to tidy up but gives a good impression of providing an illusion to deceive where the baseboard ends and the back-scene starts.

042.thumb.jpg.ceb38cdca0663720b007c5be8735284e.jpg

Edited by MAP66
Restoring lost images.
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4