GER 10T Goods Van announced!

Garethp8873

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Well, I’ll be ‘avin one, in BR grey.  I’s a nice van with a lot of character, and there’s nothing like it on the layout.  It’s got a nice pregrouping ‘feel’ to it. 

Agreed, so shall I. I'm tempted to a couple but more than one on a S&D or ex-LSWR layout will look a little improbable when they (as they inevitably will) end up coupled together in the same train.:jester:

The overall appearance is not dissimilar to vans from a number of other railways, though, so there may also be some conversion potential on offer.   

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/03/2020 at 09:50, Wickham Green said:

Would look even better without those 'orrible things below the headstock - but I guess there'd be howls of protest if they only fitted three-links !

Just as well they can be easily removed then.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Agreed, so shall I. I'm tempted to a couple but more than one on a S&D or ex-LSWR layout will look a little improbable when they (as they inevitably will) end up coupled together in the same train.:jester:

The overall appearance is not dissimilar to vans from a number of other railways, though, so there may also be some conversion potential on offer.   

John

My thinking is that they'd be getting a bit thin on the ground by the early 50s (my layout is based on 1948-58) and it would be unlikely to find two of them in the same train, especially on a fairly small, but busy, BLT.  Pool vehicles got everywhere very quickly after nationalisation and were pretty evenly spread across the network for a decade or so before that, so location doesn't really make much difference, Dorset or South Wales.

I like variety, and general merchandise vehicles in the early 50s offer plenty of it, and a variety of liveries as well.  My intention is to go for a BR liveried van, but a late LNER livery it quite feasible.  I've several Oxford 7-plank minerals and am pleased with them, and if this is the beginning of Ox forays into the world of vans I applaud it and look forward to more!

• Like 2

It has just dawned on me that it was a van of this type grounded to the south of Hatfield shed for stores, I think sometime late forties or early fifties, but that's TBD. Trying to work out the livery it may have been carrying. (I will also have a couple to run in the fast fitted trains at the start of my time span, they will be displaced by new BR vans as we move forward  in time.)

I recognise the 'half Noah' tendency mentioned in another thread. That is, I think that variety is a good thing in the BR steam era, 1948-to early 60s, and I am tempted to have one of everything, at least, everything that fits 'my' part of that era. As time goes on I am a bit more critical about the type of freight that is represented - but there is still scope to vary the wagons carrying that freight. So one of 'these' will be welcome. 

• RMweb Premium

I came across a picture of one seeming to be recently ex works and in normal traffic at Peterborough in 1958 (frontispiece of "Steam Memories: 1950s-1960s - East Coast Main Line: 2").

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/03/2020 at 11:20, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It has just dawned on me that it was a van of this type grounded to the south of Hatfield shed for stores, I think sometime late forties or early fifties, but that's TBD. Trying to work out the livery it may have been carrying. (I will also have a couple to run in the fast fitted trains at the start of my time span, they will be displaced by new BR vans as we move forward  in time.)

But these are not fitted vans.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bump for this thread. With the recent release of their oil tank in two liveries so far I have high hopes for this model now. Although we saw the CAD back in March we have had no info whether they've reached the tooling stage.

• Agree 4

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

On their Facebook page, Oxford Rail have said that "the Great Eastern Goods Van has moved into tooling, with first engineering samples coming soon."

I'm just passing this info on as an RMweb member interested in Oxford Rail's products. 

John Storey 

Edited by it's-er
To correct a mistake.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

• 2 weeks later...