GER 10T Goods Van announced!

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

NER J25s, my mistake.  The comment about enginemens' complaining about anything new is apt, and there is a good reason for it; a new loco, however much improved, disrupted the established way in which each job was done: firing techniques had to be adjusted, water taken at different times and places, that sort of thing.  The men preferred to do the job the way they always had, as this was proven not to cause any problems for which they might be blamed...

A 'goods' engine was common parlance throughout the Victorian and Edwardian eras for what we would probably call a mixed traffic loco, fitted with vacuum brakes and capable of faster work than a 'mineral' engine, which was a slow unfitted slogger with sub-5' diameter driving wheels.  So, a Fowler 4F, Dean Goods, LSWR Black Motor, Wainwright C, and such would be used on local passenger and excursion work as well as general merchandise goods trains.  I suspect that this was what the GW had in mind when it asked for 'goods' locos, and got what it would have called 'mineral' locos instead. 

As for treating passengers like cattle, the facilities provieded by some of the early SRMs and their trailers would suggest that some passengers were never treated as well as that.  Slatted wooden pushover backed tram seats leave an impression on you, quite literally.  Some of the 3rd class commuter 'cram 'em in' 20 to a compartment stock used on other railways can hardly have been particularly pleasant to travel in either, with a little legroom as could be gotten away with.  Ryanair, anyone?

Well, on the note of GER 0-6-0's heading west, a pair of J15's (65390 & 65405) were transfered to Neasden (although outbased at Aylesbury) in June 1957 to work the Watlington branch. I gather the crews found them to be different to what they were used to! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nothing there that I can see that’s not to like, except that the buffers look as if they’ve been glued on as an afterthought in these rather cruelly detailed photos; I’m sure this will be corrected in the production version or perhaps it’s a feature of GER vans.  Looking forward to my BR liveried one!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Nothing there that I can see that’s not to like, except that the buffers look as if they’ve been glued on as an afterthought in these rather cruelly detailed photos; I’m sure this will be corrected in the production version or perhaps it’s a feature of GER vans.  Looking forward to my BR liveried one!

They do look the part Jonners. In fairness to Dapol, ahem Oxford.......they do say they are not the finished product. As per Facebook....

1551643433_Screenshot_20210411-084142_SamsungInternet-01.jpeg.467f006f3e9b5c1f8f9193111ff6f5b1.jpeg

I shall certainly be having a few of these. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

They do look the part Jonners. In fairness to Dapol they do say they are not the finished product. As per Facebook....

1551643433_Screenshot_20210411-084142_SamsungInternet-01.jpeg.467f006f3e9b5c1f8f9193111ff6f5b1.jpeg

I shall certainly be having a few of these. 

Rob. 

Oxford , Shirley.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Oxford , Shirley.

Oops. Sorry Doris. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

IMHO it has the edge over Rails' 3D printed SECR van. though that is a well defined model.  I am very happy with the Oxford 7 plankers and the Toads I already have, and think this will be a cracking little model for a very reasonable price.  This van has a lot of character, and should be a popular model with GER and LNER modellers, and those like me who model the early BR period.

• Like 2

It does look nice. Quite apart from the fact that it's spot on for my W&U layout, the external bracing on the doors gives it quite a distinctive appearance that will look good in a train of mixed vans.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

It does look nice. Quite apart from the fact that it's spot on for my W&U layout, the external bracing on the doors gives it quite a distinctive appearance that will look good in a train of mixed vans.

Indeed Mark. 

More than a couple are destined for my embryonic W&U project as well as the Great Eastern BLT to come afterwards. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

IMHO it has the edge over Rails' 3D printed SECR van. though that is a well defined model.  I am very happy with the Oxford 7 plankers and the Toads I already have, and think this will be a cracking little model for a very reasonable price.  This van has a lot of character, and should be a popular model with GER and LNER modellers, and those like me who model the early BR period.

I was slightly disappointed with the Rails vans I got. You can really see the layers/ribbing and the lettering was poorly done.

If they were half the price then fine, but they were expensive for a four wheel van. Probably worth about £15 at most. I had no problem paying what I did for them, but I wouldn't buy anything else made by that method unseen.

As for these. Yes please. One of each I think.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Did you know that Herod the Great’s wife was called Doris? (QI fact).  Not sure why that’s funny, but it is!

She was, apparently, one of the wives of Herod the Great. Nevertheless, it still sounds more like a Wackypeedeeyah fact than a QI one. 

Still worth a laugh anyway. 

Edited by truffy
Can you keep a secret? Yes? So can I.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Distance in time and space allows you to laugh in safety!

Fair point.  And of course the doctrine of Original Sin would have protected me from the slaughter of the innocents...

On 12/04/2021 at 08:05, Steamport Southport said:

I was slightly disappointed with the Rails vans I got. You can really see the layers/ribbing and the lettering was poorly done.

If they were half the price then fine, but they were expensive for a four wheel van. Probably worth about £15 at most. I had no problem paying what I did for them, but I wouldn't buy anything else made by that method unseen.

As for these. Yes please. One of each I think.

Jason

There does seem to be some variation in finish on the 3d printed vans, I am lucky that I have two very good ones.  I will certainly get a couple of the GER vans as well, maybe a pre grouping open wagon next?

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

..... not forgetting those who model any other periods / areas covered by common user agreements.

Quite. From the great war onwards, ordinary opens and vans were pooled. So what you late GER / LNER / BR(E) types really need are a great many more LMS / LMS constituent wagon types...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Quite. From the great war onwards, ordinary opens and vans were pooled. So what you late GER / LNER / BR(E) types really need are a great many more LMS / LMS constituent wagon types...

The common pool is, of course, an absolute gift to modellers as it means pretty much any general purpose wagon can be justified almost anywhere without even needing to invoke Rule 1. There's a wonderful "Prototype for anything" photo of the Wisbech and Upwell tramway showing a J70 hauling a set of vans from each of the Big Four companies.

But, statistically, the most common wagons at any location would be those of the "home" company, so an evenly split mix-and-match would be somewhat unrealistic. You do need a majority of your wagons to be from the company or region you are modelling (less so for BR than Big Four, but still a clear bias), and having some that are from the specific location is even better when it comes to effectively conveying a sense of place.

Having said that, the LMS did contribute more wagons to the pool than any of the other companies (and BR inherited more wagons from the LMS than from any other company), so LMS wagon types would have been more widespread in common usage than those from other sources. So they're a good filler option for any layout based anywhere; it's rare that an LMS wagon will be "wrong" for the location. But, still, nobody wants their LNER, GWR, SR (or relevant BR region) layout to look like it's populated solely by LMS refugees!

• Like 2