GER 10T Goods Van announced!

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

The ideal is, I suppose, the sort of building that the HMRS has at the Midland Railway, but that has obviously cost a fair amount.

Yes, on reflection, HMRS would be my best suggestion in this case. It is also a registered charity, so considerations of public benefit apply.

I don't think you can extrapolate from a single bad experience.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I accept that you have probably seen specifications, so can correct me, but wasn't the bluish tinge in c. 1930 - 36 LMS grey and BR grey due to the change from white lead to zinc white? The inclusion of fancy pigments in wagon paint seems to me unlikely.

It is a pity we don't have the sad emoji anymore. 

You can believe what you like but there is blue in the grey - there is even Prussian blue in oil in the BR Roof finishing paint - along with 8 other components. 

I know topics drift, but I do think this has drifted too far. 

The model looks ready to be a BR internal user without much work needing to be done - although it does need windows https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnercoveredmerchandise/e3f5969fb

Or presuming there is a grey one, then https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnercoveredmerchandise/e3f50af18

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, hmrspaul said:

You can believe what you like but there is blue in the grey - there is even Prussian blue in oil in the BR Roof finishing paint - along with 8 other components. 

No need to be upset about it, I've already been put straight (see above) and am happy to stand corrected. What are we here for if not to learn?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/05/2021 at 14:50, MartinTrucks said:

....... took custody of them with the eventual intention of lodging them in Ashford Public Library.  ........

Back then I understand Ashford Library had a 'Railway Room' which would have been a natural home for these ........... I believe there's no such dedicated venue now so what collection it contained may have been dispersed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2021 at 12:59, Compound2632 said:

I accept that you have probably seen specifications, so can correct me, but wasn't the bluish tinge in c. 1930 - 36 LMS grey and BR grey due to the change from white lead to zinc white? The inclusion of fancy pigments in wagon paint seems to me unlikely.

No. :)

Edit: Sorry, should have finished reading the thread before replying. I've now seen the corrections already made by others. I didn't mean to eek it out.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 12:59, Compound2632 said:

The inclusion of fancy pigments in wagon paint seems to me unlikely.

But ultramarine was one of the first synthetic pigments, and by the 30s almost as cheap as lamp black. It was sold in small packets to housewives to use in their wash to make clothes look 'whiter'. Hence the reference to Reckitts.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, billbedford said:

But ultramarine was one of the first synthetic pigments, and by the 30s almost as cheap as lamp black. It was sold in small packets to housewives to use in their wash to make clothes look 'whiter'. Hence the reference to Reckitts.

As far as I can make out, blues generally seem to be among the earlier synthetic pigments. Something of a turn-around that it should be as cheap as lamp black: I read that Vermeer had nearly bankrupted his family by insisting on using the original ultramarine, ground from lapis lazuli, at all stages in his painting rather than as the final coat as did more economical artists.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 57xx said:

Sorry, should have finished reading the thread before replying. I've now seen the corrections already made by others. I didn't mean to eek it out.

That's all right. I've learned a bit more about paint, which I'm always eager to do.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/05/2021 at 14:38, Wickham Green too said:

NOBODY held stocks of ANY sort of paint in the thirties ..... paint was mixed from ingredients and any paint shop foreman worth his salt should have been able to brew up a batch of - at least something like - Southern brown whenever necessary. Clearly it wasn't considered necessary for these wagons.

Sorry, I don't think that that is correct. It is well known that the GWR was using tins of ready mixed paint from about the time of the grouping, I forget the details but seem to recollect that the supplier was based in Torquay.

I don't remember seeing a specific reference to SR practice (but i don't have a copy of the latest HMRS book and that may well have a reference), but I do remember from some 60 years ago a modeller who had worked at Ashford Works and who possessed a (legitimately purchased) tin of ready mixed early-30s Southern coach green (which he used to paint his models). So the SR were also using tins pre-war and the practice perhaps started when fairly minor changes were made to the green colour in the late-1920s. If they were using ready mixed for coaching stock they would have used it for goods stock too.

I would be surprised, though, if independent wagon repairers used anything other than paint hand mixed from pigments even post-war.

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I suspect the only place you'd have seen a sea of SR wagons would have been Ashford Works.

Perhaps Eastleigh? I gather Lancing went over to carriages only soon after Grouping.

• RMweb Gold

Mine will have a light washover of weathering gunge, so that ‘dirt’ gets between the planks and into the crooks and nannies, and the ‘exhibition standard’ finish is toned down a bit.  And I think the roof needs to be a little darker.  A dab of white on the ends of the handbrake levers and she’ll be in service… 

An LNER liveried van is perfectly feasible for a 1950s BR layout, but probably needs heavier weathering, especially as the model has the earlier ‘big letters’ type of lettering.  

Basic weathering is not difficult.  Make a watered down mix of matt acrylic dirty colours, and brush it on, working it into the corners and gaps between the planks, then wipe it off with tissue, with downward vertical wipes that will leave a residue suggesting rain streaking.  You can control the degree of weathering with the degree of dilution of the paint mix and the force you use with the tissue.

I’d advise practising the technique on an old model first, but it is soon picked up.  I have an old container which I top up with suitable browns, greys, and similar dark colours for the purpose.  I predominantly use matt black on coal wagons.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

These do invite a bit of weathering. Looking forward to it. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1