GER 10T Goods Van announced!

Garethp8873

21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

........ Make a watered down mix of matt acrylic dirty colours, and brush it on, working it into the corners and gaps between the planks, then wipe it off with tissue, with downward vertical wipes that will leave a residue suggesting rain streaking.  You can control the degree of weathering with the degree of dilution of the paint mix and the force you use with the tissue. .....

Try adding some matt varnish to the brew ... it'll disperse the pigment so it adheres better to flat surfaces without all running into the corners.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 04/06/2021 at 14:50, Phil Parker said:

Photos from Oxford.

OR76GEGV001 Sample.jpg

Going back to the GE liveried van, it's just been brought to my attention that the solebars should be in the same French Grey as the bodyside. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Apropos nothing in particular, but I do find the GE livery the most attractive. Which is a bit odd, really, as they're all just different shades of grey. But the paler shade of grey seems to work better than the darker NE version, and the positioning of the lettering seems more elegant. And, although the BR grey is closer to GE grey, the lack of any lettering at all (which, of course, BR didn't need, there being no requirement to distinguish its wagons from those of any other railway) makes it look rather bland.

I'll be buying a BR one anyway, as that's the era I'm currently modelling. But I might just get a GE one as well, just for the look of it. And, although I don't think I'll ever build a complete pre-grouping layout, I wouldn't mind having enough bits and pieces for a simple "working diorama" kind of thing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Try adding some matt varnish to the brew ... it'll disperse the pigment so it adheres better to flat surfaces without all running into the corners.

I sort of want it to run into the corners, which is where it collects on the real thing, pretty quickly in steam days, and sometimes spray matt varnish on first as a base coat for the weathering wash to key to, but I will certainly give this a go; tx for the tip, Wickham!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Um... is it just me, or would pushing down on that brake lever *release* the brakes through the Morton clutch, rather than applying them? 

A quick glance at Tatlow Vol. 1 shows that they've got the Morton lever on the wrong side there. Have they erroneously modelled a Morton clutch on both sides? Or just got the whole thing back to front?

• Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

.... they've got the Morton lever on the wrong side there. Have they erroneously modelled a Morton clutch on both sides? Or just got the whole thing back to front?

Judging by the latest photo on the 'nana van thread, they've just got the levers swapped on both models ....... hopefully not too much hassle to rectify !!?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

At least with Bachmann you had a 50/50 chance the levers would be right!  :)

Only mathematically.

More were wrong than not in my experience, and many on which the levers  were correct relative to the brake shoes had the vacuum cylinder on the wrong side!

They seem to have largely eradicated the errors in recent years, though.

John

• Like 1