Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane (mk1 and mk2 Jib) announced!

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

£17?  I won't hold my breath.  I remember that Hattons first priced the Bachmann crane at £60!

Ah, but that was Bachmann. This is a company that started the 94xx at £81-odd. I'll warrant that you won't see that model (94xx) for much under £140. Cynic? Moi? No, just being pragmatic. Nonetheless, if it's a nice model crane, then I'll have one for the earlier stock.

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
context clean -up
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Martin.M said:

I believe that the SE&CR had one too, I wonder if it will be a latter version?

Martin

I've already pre-ordered one for a repaint as that, and another for LB&SCR

I think I have drawings for the LB&SCR match truck, just need an SE&CR one now

Gary

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thes are 7mm kit builds found on a Internet search. No listed owner, shown for educational purposes only, they will be removed if requsted by the owner.(s).

If Oxford get even close to the quality this detail it will be very impressive model !!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

£17?  I won't hold my breath.  I remember that Hattons first priced the Bachmann crane at £60!

Its also quoted at £17 on Model Railways Direct . 

• Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, micklner said:

If Oxford get even close to the quality this detail it will be very impressive model !!

Especially for less than 20 sovs! :)

(I realise I'm not the only one thinking that there's a mistake, or upcoming 'price adjustment', there)

Edited by truffy

27 minutes ago, Legend said:

Its also quoted at £17 on Model Railways Direct . 

Hi Lregend,

I wonder if the numbers 7 and 1 are somehow reversed or worse still the decimal point is one place to the left of where it ought to be ?

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Lregend,

I wonder if the numbers 7 and 1 are somehow reversed or worse still the decimal point is one place to the left of where it ought to be ?

Gibbo.

No . I think Rails have it at £19.75 rrp . Remember compared to the Bachmann one this is a small crane, a bit like the old Tri-ang one in size . At a tenth of the price of Bachmann not everything has to cost the earth you know . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Scaling from a drawing of a Great Central example in the Tatlow book, suggests a match wagon 22 ft over headstocks and 14ft wb.

The photo next to that example looks like it might be those dimensions and looks like a low or one plank, but all steel. 

I can understand why OR didn't try to do a match wagon too.

Crane pre-ordered even though I thought myself lucky to have acquired an unbuilt kit.

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Ah, but that was Bachmann. This is a company that started the 94xx at £81-odd. I'll warrant that you won't see that model (94xx) for much under £140. Cynic? Moi? No, just being pragmatic. Nonetheless, if it's a nice model crane, then I'll have one for the earlier stock.

Ian.

No, that was Hattons putting an "estimated" price on the 94XX before Bachmann announced a RRP for it. So far there has only been one RRP for the 94XX, which is £124.95.

Back to the crane, the Hattons price is based on the Oxford RRP, so if the RRP doesn't change that is what you will pay.

39 minutes ago, Legend said:

No . I think Rails have it at £19.75 rrp . Remember compared to the Bachmann one this is a small crane, a bit like the old Tri-ang one in size . At a tenth of the price of Bachmann not everything has to cost the earth you know . 

Actually, Rails have it at £16.50, as ever cheaper than Hattons. If it really does retail at that price, depending on the quality, it might be worth a punt to relivery into SR.

But do I really need a crane?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Stoke M.P.D one, it'll go great with the hattons genesis staff riding van and tool van.

Ah, now, for a Midland / LMS example, tool and mess vans are another interesting topic...

• Agree 1

Cranemans articles in Model Railways from about 1990 is to look out for. Seems like no two cranes were mated up with similar match trucks so at the same time, there's probably good method in Oxford rails reasoning.

Seventeen quid. I'll take a dozen please.

P

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Is it not to be included in the Brassmasters detailing / conversion kit?  (Or do you mean said kit is still after 5 years or so not on the market?)

No. Still not on the market. Last time I enquired it had switched from etch to 3D imaging. My D&S is still on the shelf with Brassmasters runner wagon awaiting the GWR conversion.

Mike Wiltshire

Well I have a mostly built but shelved project (alright I ordered the wrong wheels and have yet to do another order with Alan Gibson) the NER version I was looking at I believe had a plate wagon as a runner. (Which again I have never got round to ordering) 

i think it should be straight forward to make a match truck from all the kits for wagons that ther is about to match your crane. I will probably buy one as I have a bit of a soft spot for the crane. Either way it is not really an expensive year yet.