Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane (mk1 and mk2 Jib) announced!

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Would you be interested in contributing with sketches and descriptions ?

I had been planning to build the match wagon for the 15 ton crane for a while (I have the D&S kit...) but it's shot up my priority list this week! I have purchase a Slaters cattle wagon kit first but will be happy to describe it in due course. 

Apart from the drawing in the Midland Study Centre collection, all the drawings I have access to are @Dave Hunt's in his Midland Record articles, so copyright of Wild Swan and Dave, I presume. But I could do dimensioned sketches as I go along.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stephen,

As far as I am concerned I am happy for you to copy and share my drawings with anyone you like. If I get the time in the near future I will see whether I can find the originals and send them to you; failing that you may be able to scan the reproductions in Midland Record.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Stephen,

As far as I am concerned I am happy for you to copy and share my drawings with anyone you like. If I get the time in the near future I will see whether I can find the originals and send them to you; failing that you may be able to scan the reproductions in Midland Record.

Cheers

Dave

Thank you Dave, that definitely qualifies as a Public Benefit. I've ordered a Slaters cattle wagon.

7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

That's alright, you all enjoy yourselves in anticipation of this release; my friends tell me that my railway is too insignificant to warrant one!!!

I think what was said was that it would be an unlikely acquisition for a railway of that size. But there's no accounting for the profligacy of your directors and their freedom to have recourse to rule 1.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Not wishing to pre-empt OR as they haven't as yet given details of liveries only running numbers and depots.

I would hazard a guess that it will be Full black/Full red livery for the BR versions era 4/5 respectively.

Not sure as to the other variants, grey for the LNER possibly?

Thanks, I was hoping for a full black one, even red would be nice. I'd prefer black as I can have their receintly announced Pilchard flat wagon along with it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Nile said:

The final picture in this listing has some interesting line drawings of the crane and various match trucks.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

The final picture in this listing has some interesting line drawings of the crane and various match trucks.

Which shows a multitude of jib rests too - so the one supplied with the crane will presumably be generic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if one of those clver people who produce CADs for 3D printing could be a good friend to the Great Western enthusiast here? Maybe a cab and jib runner (or parts to adapt an RTR flat wagon) would be worth someone selling via Shapeways if (understandably) it is all too specific for a volume RTR manufacturer.

• Like 1

Whilst the matter of the jib runner for the GWR has been largely resolved. I, and I believe, quite possibly others, would be interested in what the other three companies cobbled together, or was something provided by Cowans. I imagine for instance that delivery took place by rail thus necessitating a jib runner. I cannot imagine them being delivered as some kind of oversize Meccano set. Could some kind soul, without fear of breaking copyright, provide photos, preferably dateable, of these.

mfG

Nigel

with thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, doktorstamp said:

I, and I believe, quite possibly others, would be interested in what the other three companies cobbled together, or was something provided by Cowans. I imagine for instance that delivery took place by rail thus necessitating a jib runner.

Please see my previous posts in this topic for details of the match wagons used with the LMS ex-Midland cranes - the Stoke and Wellingborough models Oxford are promising. There were nine of these cranes altogether, with match wagons of the same type - for curved jib examples from 1893 and five swan-necked jib examples from 1899/1901, although one of the 1893 batch did not reach the LMS, going to the War Dept c. 1914.

Hunt, op. cit., gives the following details, to which I've added the match wagon numbers:

1st MR No. / 2nd MR No. / 1st LMS No. / 2nd LMS/BR No. / match wagon No. / allocation / withdrawal

25 / 245 / MP36 / RS1023/15 / 114903 / Leeds? Carslisle 1893; LLandudno Jct ? Birkenhead 1938; Stoke 1939; Llandudno Jct 1961 / 1964

26 / 241 / MP33 / RS1022/15 / 114904 / Saltley 1893; Gloucester 1931; Bath 1942; to SR 1950 / ?

27 / 242 / - / - / 114905 / Derby 1893; War Dept 1914? / ?

28 / 243 / MP34 / RS1036/15 / 114906 / Wellingborough 1893; Hellifield 1943 / 1951

29 / 244 / MP31 / RS1037/15 / 116951 / Cricklewood 1899; Nottingham 1927 / 1964

30 / 240 / MP41 / RS1028/15 / 116952 / Leeds 1899; Wakefield 1924; Accrington 1944; Hellifield 1959 / 1966

31 / 247 / MP38 / RS1025/15 / 116953 / Bristol 1899; Warrington; Edge Hill 1957; Bletchley 1942 / 1961

32 / 246 / MP35 / RS1021/15 / 116954 / Belle Vue 1899; Longsight 1937; Bolton yard 1960 / 1965

33 / 248 / MP32 / RS1030/15 / 117284/ Sheffield 1901; Hasland 1931; Hellifield 1950 / 1959

LTSR / 250 / MP37 / RS1024/15 / LTSR 1855 - reno. MR 117654 / Plaistow 1906; Bescot 1933 / 1963

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, FTSK said:

For Southern Modellers, the current issue of Southern Way (no 49) shows a Stewarts Lane 15t crane complete with match truck

Thanks for the info, it has now been ordered! 

Hi

I'm planning on making a 3d printed GWR match truck to suit the new Oxford crane. Does anyone have some accurate specs for one also does anyone know of a possible chassis we could use an just 3d print the top half like tool boxes an jib support etc. Any info would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards Neil 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, B15nac said:

Hi

I'm planning on making a 3d printed GWR match truck to suit the new Oxford crane. Does anyone have some accurate specs for one also does anyone know of a possible chassis we could use an just 3d print the top half like tool boxes an jib support etc. Any info would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards Neil 

The NRM have a drawing of one diagram (I think the version done by Brassmasters) there is photo of it here http://www.bpodmore.co.uk/Projects/Breakdown_Crane.htm

Are you going to do the cab as well?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Are you going to do the cab as well?

As far as I can see, Oxford have not said what they are doing about cabs/roofs for the different versions promised. I'm hoping that whatever they do do will be removable so the crane can be restored to original Midland condition! (Per the publicity photo.)

28 minutes ago, craneman said:

Also, as far as I know, they haven't actually confirmed that there will be both curved and swan-necked jibs, and haven't said anything about long and short jib options, nor whether the model will have early or late intermediate shaft bearings.

The original announcement says there will be mk1 and mk2 jibs, which presumably relate to the different shaped ends. Given the price (even if the actual RRP is higher than has been stated), I doubt if there will be many, if any, other variants. But we'll obviously find out more as the model goes further through the development process and pre-release images become available.

Given both the ubiquity of this type of crane, and the number of different variants which did exist throughout the prototype's life, I hope the model will at least be constructed in such a way as to allow for relatively simple modification. Detailing/customising one of these could be a very enjoyable project.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, craneman said:

Also, as far as I know, they haven't actually confirmed that there will be both curved and swan-necked jibs, and haven't said anything about long and short jib options, nor whether the model will have early or late intermediate shaft bearings.

As two of the prototypes, Stoke (BR) and Wellingborough (LMS) are cranes from the Midland's 1893 batch, there's a prima facie case that one of the versions will be the curved jib type, corresponding (in original condition) to the photo use in the publicity, with all the implications as to jib length and intermediate shaft bearings. I'm not familiar with the other two prototypes: are these the swan-necked type?

Remember that it is possible that you know more about the detail variations in these cranes than do Oxford Rail, who may well be working from a single set of drawings.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

As two of the prototypes, Stoke (BR) and Wellingborough (LMS) are cranes from the Midland's 1893 batch, there's a prima facie case that one of the versions will be the curved jib type, corresponding (in original condition) to the photo use in the publicity, with all the implications as to jib length and intermediate shaft bearings. I'm not familiar with the other two prototypes: are these the swan-necked type?

Remember that it is possible that you know more about the detail variations in these cranes than do Oxford Rail, who may well be working from a single set of drawings.

The other two cranes were both equipped with a swan neck jib - the problem lies in that according to the Tatlow volume,  one (901628) was equipped with a short (24 feet) jib whilst the other (DS.316) was given a longer (26 feet) jib.

This being the case then at least one of them will be wrong if the specimens were chosen on the basis of having a swan neck jib without realising that jib lengths differed.

I emailed Oxford Rail to ask what length of jib was planned for the swan necked variants but as yet I haven't heard anything back.

I'm interested in a swan necked variant to pose as RS1021/15, allocated to Bolton Yard between 1960-65  so I'm in with a 50:50 chance of it being the required long jib type (it won't be the end of the world if it comes with a short jib as it should be easier to add length rather than remove it).

Therefore as it stands the curved jib MR variants should be the more likely of the two sets to be accurate in respect of jib length given they were both the same long jib type (presuming Oxford don't tool them with a short jib!).

EDIT: I've just looked at what drawings are available in the Tatlow volume to see what Oxford could use as a reference.

The curved jib variant is depicted with a detailed drawing showing both long or short jibs whilst the detailed drawing for the swan necked type depicts the crane supplied to the SER with a long jib (the drawing doesn't show the short version unlike that for the curved type).

Edited by SP Steve
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/01/2020 at 06:53, MGR Hooper! said:

Thanks, I was hoping for a full black one, even red would be nice. I'd prefer black as I can have their receintly announced Pilchard flat wagon along with it.

According to the latest Hattons blog all four versions will be in black livery.

This information has apparently been obtained direct from OR.

• Informative/Useful 1