Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane (mk1 and mk2 Jib) announced!

Garethp8873

21 hours ago, Andrew Thorpe said:

I'm hoping to get one of these which will get backwarded in time to ROD operations being as they had something very much resembling these. Colourwise im thinking they'd keep them black? Difficult to tell on B&W photos. Then build up a small RCC rake, should look rather different.

You must of read my mind on what I plan to do to mine ;) 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

On their Facebook page, Oxford Rail have updated on a number of their projects including that the "Cowans Sheldon crane is in development with more details to follow". 

I suppose any of us could have written that for them, but never mind!  They haven't forgotten it!  As I've already said ....... I'm just passing this info on as an RMweb member interested in Oxford Rail's products. !!

Thats me over and out now!

John Storey 

Edited by it's-er
To add last sentence!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
On 17/01/2021 at 18:22, it's-er said:

"Cowans Sheldon crane is in development with more details to follow"

Given the length of time the cranes have been in the developer, there won't be any detail left at all...  :jester:

How long is it now?  Its approaching Bachmann gestation times!!!!

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Given the length of time the cranes have been in the developer, there won't be any detail left at all...  :jester:

They were only announced in January of last year.

Another half-decade before they'll threaten Bachmann's record.:jester:

FWIW, Hatton's still show them as "Due into Stock" between October and December this year, though I'd think the "difficulties" of the past 12 months may impact that.

John   

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Hroth said:

Oxford Rail development times are no where near Bachmann or Dapol. Though now Bachmann have the upper hand with their new announcement format.

PS: It has only been around 17 months since it's announcement of which 14 have been taken over by a pandemic. So not too bad really.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 09/05/2021 at 08:34, Hroth said:

I've been liberated from the need to anticipate this release by being told that my freelance railway company is not big enough to run to such a crane!

Mind you, if and when they surface, I might rebel and get one!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I've been liberated from the need to anticipate this release by being told that my freelance railway company is not big enough to run to such a crane!

I doubt they'd have ever paid a visit to the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway, either! But if/when that's ever completed I've got another project at the back of my mind where a crane would be likely to be found. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/05/2021 at 11:14, MarkSG said:

I doubt they'd have ever paid a visit to the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway, either! But if/when that's ever completed I've got another project at the back of my mind where a crane would be likely to be found. 

The J70s could manage 30-40 fruit vans, so should be able to pull a crane. Luckily most of the track was flat as a pancake!! I have fond memories of the Fens, being a Littleport boy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SweenyTod1 said:

The J70s could manage 30-40 fruit vans, so should be able to pull a crane. Luckily most of the track was flat as a pancake!! I have fond memories of the Fens, being a Littleport boy.

I lived in Littleport for a bit, some of my relatives still live there. My W&U project is based on the "what might have been" if it had been extended to Welney, and then through to Littleport.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In July I understood that OR crane CAD was being finalised and they were working on getting the mechanism right as it needed tweaking.

I have contact OR via their FB page but no response and interested to learn if anyone had any "news" of the cranes progress.

I've nearly completed all the other four vehicles for my Colchester breakdown train!

20210920_175410.jpg

20210928_190012.jpg

Edited by PaulG
a little more work on GER Guard Truck.
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 minutes ago, PaulG said:

I've nearly completed all the other four vehicles for my Colchester breakdown train!

That's very nice, all it needs now is a crane to go with it :)

Is that one of the Hornby 6-wheelers? If so, did you buy it in that livery or did you repaint it?

40 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

That's very nice, all it needs now is a crane to go with it :)

Is that one of the Hornby 6-wheelers? If so, did you buy it in that livery or did you repaint it?

Its a D&S GER 6-wheel kit. The GER double bolster is scratch built and the Guard Truck a cut-and-shunt, D&S GER 3-plank wagon.

Dan Pinnock is also helping with the fourth vehicle, an exLD&ECR 6-wheel carriage. 

Edited by PaulG
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2021 at 17:42, PaulG said:

In July I understood that OR crane CAD was being finalised and they were working on getting the mechanism right as it needed tweaking.

I have contact OR via their FB page but no response and interested to learn if anyone had any "news" of the cranes progress.

20210920_175410.jpg

20210928_190012.jpg

I love your Break down train. And may take some inspiration to build my own. Though I got board and did my train backwards. But another Crain is always welcome. Here my work. 

EEDB3E8F-24BD-4135-9772-737ACB7CE8C0.jpeg

D4A559A7-6E1E-42C9-9A7D-0C1E22656E83.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, autocoach said:

Anything more heard on the Oxford Cowans Sheldon crane project? 

On the 8th November 2021 I had the following from Oxford Rail:

All items are expecting delays due to the knock on effect of Covid and Brexit.

This item is still in development. Oxford

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4