LNER J26 announced!

Garethp8873

LNER J26 announced! Really good to see the pre-grouping LNER locos getting a turn in the spotlight! :)

Three versions have been announced with and without sound fittings.

OR76J26001    LNER 0-6-0 Class J26 No. 5738
OR76J26001XS    LNER 0-6-0 Class J26 No. 5738 Sound Fitted 
OR76J26002    BR (Early) 0-6-0 Class J26 No.65767
OR76J26002XS    BR (Early) 0-6-0 Class J26 No.65767 Sound Fitted
OR76J26003    BR (Late) 0-6-0 Class J26 No.65736
OR76J26003XS    BR (Late) 0-6-0 Class J26 No.65736 Sound Fitted

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Interesting announcement to follow on the back of the J27. Its good to see the company making the most of the possibilities whereas a class like J26 could easily have lost out to J27. In ways its using marketing to get the most out of these developments, but its a good move none the less.

It puts Oxford rail in an excellent position to use parts common to different classes as a means of standardising future models, just like the prototype used same parts for different classes.

If that means that Oxford then follow this with J25 and J21 then that will be fantastic. Its a range of engines and types that would be the perfect size and scope for a company like them, but also allow them to put forward releases here and while some might decry this approach I would actually push on with J21 or J25 next, rather than leave a year to rest, and possibily bring in another area. If they were to do that then I think J21 should follow alongside this release as you can then keep production on shared parts and be well on the way to the next model as production runs can keep costs down. It would be a masterstroke if Oxford have set out from J27 to make the various NER classes in succession and I can only hope they do as many of us that have wanted them have waited more than long enough for it to happen.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

For Oxford Rail's model, is the J26 basically the J27 but with round cab spectacles?  According to the LNER enclopedia, the J26 and J27 had standardised boilers (a process beginning for the J26s in 1910 and completed in 1925). So presumably visual differences are pretty minor?

I'd be delighted if those more knowledgable can comment, please!

John Storey

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, it's-er said:

For Oxford Rail's model, is the J26 basically the J27 but with round cab spectacles?  According to the LNER enclopedia, the J26 and J27 had standardised boilers (a process beginning for the J26s in 1910 and completed in 1925). So presumably visual differences are pretty minor?

I'd be delighted if those more knowledgable can comment, please!

John Storey

In the beginning... the P2 (J26) was (obviously) the first of the big boilers, the P3 (J27) followed it and had a deeper differently shaped firebox, in time they became standardised with the P3 type. The spectacles all started out round on both classes but with the introduction of large shaped spectacles on the T/T1 (Q5) they were slowly fitted to P2 and P3, not all got them but by BR days if it had round ones it was a J26, some J26s had shaped ones though... 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 11:17, Worsdell forever said:

In the beginning... the P2 (J26) was (obviously) the first of the big boilers, the P3 (J27) followed it and had a deeper differently shaped firebox, in time they became standardised with the P3 type.

Ah, hence, I assume,  the fact that we're not getting a pre-Grouping version of the J26.

Edited by HonestTom

The shaped cab spectacles came about after a petition was received from footplate staff at West Auckland who wanted a better forward view...2 of the last J26s in service were still at West Auckland in June 1962 (65731 and 65735)...and of course 65735 was still fitted with round cab spectacles!

In May 1962 the photographer Ian Carr traveled up Weardale behind 65735 on the pick up goods, taking some great photographs along the way, as here at Stanhope.

1773 65735 Stanhope station 04-05-62 (IS Carr) 192

• Like 19

7 hours ago, Axlebox said:

The shaped cab spectacles came about after a petition was received from footplate staff at West Auckland who wanted a better forward view

Thi Grandfatha was nowt but a trouble maker. Nice Wickham trolley over yonder btw.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Who needs a common 16t mineral or 13/21t hopper.

Don't say that - Peco are taking their time as it is.  Anyway, judging by the mess some of the livelier grades have made of its bar, that Hybar is a complete amateur when it comes to keeping coal in order and isn't likely to last long in the job.

3 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Anyway, judging by the mess some of the livelier grades have made of its bar

That was after "some locals" tried to empty it using the yard crane.

Edited by Porcy Mane

On 24/01/2020 at 09:41, Axlebox said:

The shaped cab spectacles came about after a petition was received from footplate staff at West Auckland who wanted a better forward view...2 of the last J26s in service were still at West Auckland in June 1962 (65731 and 65735)...and of course 65735 was still fitted with round cab spectacles!

In May 1962 the photographer Ian Carr traveled up Weardale behind 65735 on the pick up goods, taking some great photographs along the way, as here at Stanhope.

1773 65735 Stanhope station 04-05-62 (IS Carr) 192

That's an interesting picture - if you zoom in on the tender number plate, although to my eyes it looks like 9601, it must be 8601. According to RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Part 10A, page 89, this was a D17 3940 gallon tender.

Regards,

Roy

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, micklner said:

8508 to me !!:blind:

Ho ho. 

A request will be raised to inspect the original. Likely not to be in the immediate future though.

(I went through all this for the Q6)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

23 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Ho ho. 

A request will be raised to inspect the original. Likely not to be in the immediate future though.

(I went through all this for the Q6)

Porcy,

Apologies for going off topic.

I've got a picture of the 63395 tender rear at Sunderland in September 1966, numbered 8796.

This is later than the last tender change (8755) entered on the General Overhaul Record Sheet for 63395.

Either way, these were both tenders from NER Class Z Atlantics (LNER Class C7).

Regards,

Roy

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

It has gone awfully quiet. We’re not likely to be told anything and we can only hope that the project is proceeding in the background. Do I get a prize for the most useless post? (Oxford doesn’t seem to pay any attention to RMweb.)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

It has gone awfully quiet. We’re not likely to be told anything and we can only hope that the project is proceeding in the background. Do I get a prize for the most useless post? (Oxford doesn’t seem to pay any attention to RMweb.)

And here I am, hoping for some news... Thanks for that! 😄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Johan DC said:

At least the price went up... 😬 But no news so far. I really like the J27, looking forward to this one too. 

Likewise. The J27 was a great bargain as well as being a nice model. The sound was decent as well.  Hatton thinks the J26 will arrive “between January and December 2023”.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, OOgaugeJaf said:

I hope they have sorted the QA issues with pickups and dodgy drawbars that have plagued the J27

I was lucky with that, however, the quartering of the central axle was off, so had to fix that. The pickups do look flimsy. 

• 11 months later...

Having heard nothing about this model for over a year, is it safe to assume that it has been lost in the Oxford/Hornby merger, and will not see production?

Concerned of Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568

Well, if they had taken a positive decision to drop it, I suppose they would have removed it from the future releases setion of the oxford rail website.  It's still listed there, with this comment

This item is in Development and will be arriving soon. From announcing an item, Oxford Diecast estimates it can take anywhere from 9 months – 1 year to be available to purchase.

Identical comment for their the Cowans Sheldon 15T cranes

So it looks as though it's still a maybe.

• Thanks 1