Starting a Dublo Collection

2996 Victor

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Wolseley said:

It depends on the quality of the finish before I start.  Sometimes I strip the body back to the bare metal using the strongest paint stripper I can get from the local hardware shop (which takes two, sometimes three, applications to get it all off), other times I touch up the chips and go over the touched up bits once the paint has hardened with fine emery paper or a Swiss file to even up the surface.  When I paint them sometimes I brush paint (with a sable #4 and #6) and sometimes I spray paint them.  Then the transfers are applied, followed by a final spray with semi-gloss clear.  The paints I use are generally Humbrol acrylics or Tamiya spray acrylics - not because of any preference for them, it's just that they're the best of the limited range of paints available here.  If I was still in the UK I would probably be using nothing but Precision Paints.  I know that there should be compatibility problems when spraying acrylic semi-gloss clear over the transfers, but I spray it at a distance and very thinly and wait a day before giving it a second coat and I've only once had a transfer wrinkle up on me.

As far as the photos I posted go, the Duchess, N2 and Thomas the overweight Tank Engine were brush painted, and the City and the tank wagons were sprayed.

Thomas started off (obviously) as a Dublo N2, then I bought a Thomas face as a Hornby (present day Hornby company that is) spare part, filed off the smokebox door and drilled a hole so that the face slotted into the front of the body.  My grandsons love that one.

Regards.

Jim

Hi Jim,

thanks for the additional info - I'm certainly keen to give it a go, so your methods are a good pointer.

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Wolseley said:

As far as GWR coaches are concerned, I thought that my GWR liveried N2 (it's a replica made from a cheap playworn BR N2 rather than a rare and expensive genuine one) would look better with coaches than with goods wagons, so I got my hands on two badly rusted Dublo SD6 suburbans and a pair of Airfix B-Set coaches, shortened the Airfix coaches by almost 2cm and fitted the bodies to the Dublo chassis.  The result was quite effective, although I don't have any photos at the moment, as I still have to finish painting the roofs.  Here's my GWR N2 though:

20170201_135238.jpg.4e0728143d5a5608b54d1e9b2b5f9aaf.jpg

20170201_135253.jpg.55238cfaaa509b9f32384dca0bce5b14.jpg

Hi,

have to say that does look effective! How did you do the safety valve bonnet? I should like to see some photos of the coaches when they're finished!

Best regards,

Mark

Interestingly, the early issues of the Hornby Dublo SD6 wagons came in blue and white striped boxes.

As the two-rail system hadn't been launched when the first wagons were released, there were no red and white striped boxes yet.

IMG_20200125_213235.jpg.12b16f8997ea61fbc3fe11486cab0d8a.jpg

IMG_20200125_213154.jpg.13d09b21d54c28c4a6879d8eb500f9d3.jpg

IMG_20200125_213211.jpg.a409003df2d806eb9961f9001e3e7db4.jpg

IMG_20200125_213110.jpg.6481eaa77182e0d5e3d1255afafe4037.jpg

IMG_20200125_213033.jpg.6be260930806a4e4f0412173d11d5011.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
photos
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

The Hattons wagon appears to have a transition box -  blue but with a red label on the end. Perhaps they were clearing stocks as I believe the wagon with load did not appear until the sixties. The first I was aware of it was seeing it in the 'bible'. I have only ever seen one 'in the flesh' that I can recall. It would have come home with me, but the price being asked was a tad optimistic in my opinion.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi,

have to say that does look effective! How did you do the safety valve bonnet? I should like to see some photos of the coaches when they're finished!

Best regards,

Mark

I bought it from someone in the US of all places about three years ago.  I was going to fit any old GWR safety valve cover but found someone who was selling replicas of the Dublo ones made from turned brass when I did an internet search to see where I could get one (it's not the sort of thing you can go down to the local hobby shop and buy over the counter here).  Unfortunately I can't recall his name and he seems to not be trading any more.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

Interestingly, the early issues of the Hornby Dublo SD6 wagons came in blue and white striped boxes.

As the two-rail system hadn't been launched when the first wagons were released, there were no red and white striped boxes yet.

I have an SD6 LMR brake van in a similar box:

P1010606.JPG.ec4fb665257d0dc0edc91d16e6f5234e.JPG

• Like 2

What's a local hobby shop?   My nearest are several bus rides away and not that brilliant when you get there....

The first SD6 wagons (the grain wagon was the very first) appeared a year of two before the launch of the 2 rail system and the red boxes. They must already have been planning it, but it was very 'hush-hush'. Too little - too late! even a switch to stud contact like Märklin would have been better.

Pedant mode on!

I think they needed a better dictionary as while 'brake van' translates as their list on the end of the box, the vehicle is not actually called that.

In German for example: https://www.ebay.de/b/Guterzugbegleitwagen-Guterwagen-fur-Spur-H0/122572/bn_76642115

Having continuous brakes or wagons with brakeman's cabins  (sentry boxes) throughout the train, the vehicles prime function was transport for the guard and shunters (rather in the fashion of the American caboose/way car).

There's an Italian example here (scroll to the bottom) : https://docplayer.it/docview/26/8158534/#file=/storage/26/8158534/8158534.pdf

I can't remember the Italian (watch this space!). I've had a project to made one (from a Rivarossi type G van) for years, but I really need another van first. The last one I saw was £10, but SWMBO was around.... It had gone of course when I went back!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

What's a local hobby shop?   My nearest are several bus rides away and not that brilliant when you get there....

They are an endangered species, aren't they.  There are a few that I can get to, none of which have anything much to do with vintage equipment and what they have in stock for British outline is mostly confined to the well known RTR brands.  One shop is about 25 minutes away but the staff are not very helpful; another (Hobbyland in Hornsby), my preferred destination, is almost an hour away and staffed by a friendly person who has time to discuss matters with you regardless of whether he will get a big sale out of you or not, and can be quite helpful; the largest shop is in the City, but is more like a toy shop with a hobby section which includes model railways; another, which I will not name, cheated me out of a couple of hundred dollars when I sold some items through them on consignment - they probably have the best selection of British RTR in the country and a good second hand section, but I'm never going back there.  There is also another shop at Blacktown that I keep meaning to check out that has mostly DCC odds and ends but does have a comprehensive selection of landscaping materials.  There are a couple of other shops, but as they concentrate on Australian outline, they're not much use to me.

30 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

I can't remember the Italian (watch this space!). I've had a project to made one (from a Rivarossi type G van) for years, but I really need another van first. The last one I saw was £10, but SWMBO was around.... It had gone of course when I went back!

I asked my wife, but she didn't know (but then her interest in railways is fairly minimal) however the large Cassell's Italian-English/English-Italian dictionary we have has it as "furgone".

• Like 1

My wife was no help either (for the same reason). She came up with 'carro merci (goods wagon)'. Like in English the 'goods' in goods wagon is redundant as 'carro' is by definition a goods wagon. That pedantry does stop people using it though. 'Furgone' is more a passenger vehicle (cf French 'fourgon'), I would have thought.

But Hornby-Acho don't seem to agree with me  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/french-Hornby-acho-goods-brake-van-1777990566

EDIT

A search produced this full of goodies that I just had to share!

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNSjKDmq8loVu959N4M9zgKzVejLQw%3A1580035274335&sa=1&ei=ymwtXrmNFNPrgAbxm5TQCA&q=carro+merci+con+garitta&oq=carro+merci&gs_l=img.1.2.0i19l4.395355.399369..404039...1.0..0.139.1105.8j4......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39j0i67j0j0i131j0i30j0i10i30.LyMjLQ0uFGI

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

'Furgone' is more a passenger vehicle (cf French 'fourgon'), I would have thought.

The dictionary gave the English equivalent as "brake van" but didn't go as far as to say what sort of brake van it was.  You're probably right, but I'm afraid my knowledge of Italian is not up to taking this question any further.  Also, unfortunately none of the Italian speakers I know are railway enthusiasts.

1 hour ago, Wolseley said:

The dictionary gave the English equivalent as "brake van" but didn't go as far as to say what sort of brake van it was.  You're probably right, but I'm afraid my knowledge of Italian is not up to taking this question any further.  Also, unfortunately none of the Italian speakers I know are railway enthusiasts.

I have the answer in an Italian magazine which is in Italy and I am in the UK at the moment. It has the details of the conversion.

I could fight through this lot:  http://fr.1001mags.com/liste-magazine/loisirs/autres/modelisme

Bingo! under   Modèles ferroviaires nos.2 & 6  Doesn't help with the Italian though.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Mark

I have read the first page so by missing the the others I could be going off on the wrong tangent. You started to say buying a few items and building a small layout for nostalgic reasons

Whilst you are collecting, you are not a collector for investment reasons. Unless you have changed tact I would just go out and buy inexpensive items, certainly give them a good service but either leave them as playworn (I think second hand salesmen call it patina. Or as some do carry out some light restoration. I have kept a couple of old 3 rail HD locos as they were my first, I do have some vintage track parts along with some old Jamieson locos and wooden coaches. I have always thought of building one of CJF's small layouts, Airfix and Builteze structures on soft board, whether I end up doing it is another matter.

In the end just go out and enjoy yourself

• Like 2

Is the running quality of HD up to typical BLT operation?

I’m busily building a small 00 BLT, which was supposed to be for Triang Nellies, and I’ve already concluded that, as built, they are not really suitable for the job due to high gearing and wonder whether things like the N2, R1 and 2-6-4T might fall into the same bracket.

• Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Is the running quality of HD up to typical BLT operation?

I’m busily building a small 00 BLT, which was supposed to be for Triang Nellies, and I’ve already concluded that, as built, they are not really suitable for the job due to high gearing and wonder whether things like the N2, R1 and 2-6-4T might fall into the same bracket.

If its a nostalgic retro layout, then this is fine

Now with what you want to do is slightly different.

I watch a few of the American car rebuild shows, some they leave the outside just as it is, even to the point of painting clear (varnish) over the rusty paintwork. But underneath its totally different. Nothing wrong with a standard Poly slowly and faultlessly glide on to the layout, it would mean changing the wheels, axles, adding a decent gearbox and nice motor, possibly with new less resistant sprung pickups 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Hayfield

i was thinking of our OP, who talked in terms of a BLT, and his possible disappointment  when re-familiarised with what passed for acceptable loco performance fifty or sixty years ago.

Maybe the thing to do is lay out some track on the dining room table and try it to see whether operation is good enough for the purpose.

At the time Dublo was always rated better than Triang, but we’ve got used to sheer luxury in the past 10-15 years!

K

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Hayfield

i was thinking of our OP, who talked in terms of a BLT, and his possible disappointment  when re-familiarised with what passed for acceptable loco performance fifty or sixty years ago.

Maybe the thing to do is lay out some track on the dining room table and try it to see whether operation is good enough for the purpose.

At the time Dublo was always rated better than Triang, but we’ve got used to sheer luxury in the past 10-15 years!

K

Kevin

I may have wrongly assumed a roundy roundy, still the 2-6-4T run OK and a BLT should be OK, and I guess polly would be much the same, however as you said we are used to better

Pity Polly does not have the same axles and gears as the HD locos have, a quick set of Romfords could have solved the Peco turnout issues

• Like 1

They do suffer a bit from jack rabbit syndrome (but not so much as Tri-ang), but a decent controller either a variable transformer with pulse power* or  a modern electronic unit will tame them.  A current rating of at least 750mA is required however.

*Dublo Marshal III or H&M Powermaster for example. (Have the wiring checked on vintage Mains equipment!)

Markits/Romford do 9/64" diameter axles for Tri-ang frames or they can be bushed. Apparently the TT gears are the same diameter, but single start. A 30:1 ratio would curb Polly's enthusiasm, but good luck finding any however.

I have sorted out some track for a Dublo BLT, but have never set it up. When I come back to Airstrip One the UK perhaps....

The 2-6-4T has her magnetic shunt to improve slow running (at least the earlier examples- it had been deleted by the Wrenn period).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Informative/Useful 1

A decent modern electronic controller should sort that out,i use Trax feedback HH controllers on my layout.With clean track,wheels & p/ups,slow running isn`t a problem.The best electronic HH controller i ever had was a H & M Walkabout,sadley the linear pot wore out & no replacements could be found.

Ray.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, sagaguy said:

The best electronic HH controller i ever had was a H & M Walkabout,sadley the linear pot wore out & no replacements could be found.

Here, here !!!

If a source of / substitute for the H&M Walkabout slider potentiometer, then I have a considerable number of these controllers that could be rejuvenated.

Any offers of unwanted H&M Walkabouts gratefully received at cctrans@hotmail.com.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

What does the potentiometer look like?

If not actually broken, they can usually be dismantled, cleaned, the contact springs retensioned and reassembled. Slider pots. are notoriously unreliable.

Edited by Il Grifone

Just now, Il Grifone said:

What does the potentiometer look like?

A rectangular carbon track (that wears out) soldered directly to the main board with a sliding contact.

image.png.d9341c444025a0a319f10054c2db3950.pngwbtcircuit.JPG.aa0983439eefa55e734eb02cc1d6b209.JPG

Tomorrow, I can try and take a photo of the other side of the board.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1