Oxford 2020 Toy Fair announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, truffy said:

The pilchards weren't caught off the coast of Dungeness/Dounreay/Sellafield by any chance, were they?

They would be loaded onto slices of bread in the pilchard wagon (using the 15t crane of course) and marshalled into special trains, often J26-hauled. The van contained condiments (mustard usually in ex-GER. vehicles) and occasionally Worcestershire sauce (a class A liquid) would added en-route.  By the time the ensemble reached its destination it would be carrying tasty hot pilchards on toast. Another 15t crane would be needed to unload. It's a solid line-up from Oxford, though a brake van from another manufacturer will be needed to complete the train.

Edited by Flying Pig
Repetition
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

40 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

And I thought the pilchard wagon was for transporting pilchards.:banghead::jester:

That was just the ones used in Cornwall (Poldark territory !). Anyway, living as I do in Scotland, a Pilchard is infinitely preferable to a Sturgeon.......

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

There's some interesting things on the list. I'm really interested by the crane. I've an inking that the Taff Vale had something like this, but more research is required. That van is bound to find a way into a lot of peoples' collections, being an earlier era vehicle. Please don't start using inappropriate liveries though!

That diecast Maxi though.... Is it painted red rust, as per the originals?

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

They would be loaded onto slices of bread in the pilchard wagon (using the 15t crane of course) and marshalled into special trains, often J26-hauled. The van contained condiments (mustard usually in ex-GER. vehicles) and occasionally Worcestershire sauce (a class A liquid) would added en-route.  By the time the ensemble reached its destination it would be carrying tasty hot pilchards on toast. Another 15t crane would be needed to unload. It's a solid line-up from Oxford, though a brake van from another manufacturer will be needed to complete the train.

At last . Someone's explained Oxfords joined up thinking!

Would have got none of that, but then I had predicted Oxford Rail would just peter out when Lyndon Davies went to Hornby. A bit puzzling though . Unless you are an NER diehard won't you buy either a J26 or their already announced J27 ?  Whats the difference between the two?  Wondering what this current fixation with cranes is - just take up siding space !  Will look out for the tankers and maybe the GER wagon .   Did I miss something , weren't they supposed to be doing Class B tankers  ?  Was looking forward to low cost alternative to Heljan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I do like the GER vans, and the crane.

The rest are sadly not even Rule 1. :(

It would be nice to have a vague delivery date too, even if its as noncommital as 2020/Q4 or whatever.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

The crane looks interesting. I'll probably get one when they are released. Do we know if it comes with a runner wagon?

Scot from Oxford Rail is interviewed late on in this video & say the crane is a Standard crane so it can be used for any railway Co & that is why it is not been Supplied with a match truck as Each Co had a different match truck this keep the cost down the crane with come with a Jib holder for the buyer to add to a any wagon    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Hattons are listing the crane at £17 "subject to confirmation" which sounds too good to be true.  However even if the eventual price is considerably more, it should still pick up plenty of sales from folk for whom the Bachmann model was too dear or just too big - a very canny move IMO.

The GER van is a nice choice - long-lived and slightly left-field, really more appropriate for a small range like Oxford than trying to cover the whole set of LMS merchandise stock.  I think the NER hopper is an obvious Hornby target once they recover from centenary madness. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

If the price does come in at around the £20 mark, I think a purchase with the intention of adding the GWR cab and a Brassmasters match truck as Newton Abbots no8 will be coming my way.  Already got me wondering if the Brassmasters conversion for the D&S kit will give enough to mode the cab or if I will need to scratch build....

time to get the match truck ordered...

I have seen mention that Oxford are doing both jib designs, does it say anywhere which release is which so I can make sure I order the correct jib for no8

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Legend said:

Would have got none of that, but then I had predicted Oxford Rail would just peter out when Lyndon Davies went to Hornby.

The business world is unpredictable, Lyndon Davies won't always be at Hornby.  This is a way to keep his options open if he wants to be on the model train business long term.

The financial structure of Oxford Rail also seems to be very different than Hornby, and they seem to have an ability to bring new tooled niche items to market at a price other can't.  This means that they can act as a complementary product to Hornby.

But, not at all surprised that no Class 86 or Mk3's announced - there are for the time being apparent limits on what Oxford can do (which makes sense given the relationship between Oxford and Hornby at the moment).

21 minutes ago, Legend said:

Unless you are an NER diehard won't you buy either a J26 or their already announced J27 ?  Whats the difference between the two?

I congratulate Oxford on this.  While the differences are minor (and time will tell whether Oxford have actually designed the tooling for the J26 to also do the J27) this is the type of thing that is needed.  If one follows the poll discussions, or some models, you frequently see the complaints that while the poll has reasonably/correctly grouped certain prototypes together, they all get dropped from the poll when 1 item gets announced only for the manufacturer to never continue on and make the similar items, leaving some out of luck.

One example of this (though to be fair to Bachmann it is still earlyish) is the Class 116/117/118 that are similar, grouped in the poll together, but so far only the 117 is coming.  Which leaves those wanting the either of the other 2 stuck.

So yes, for some of us where it matters they will buy the J26 or J27 as appropriate to what they are modelling, or some of both.  And for the majority they will simply buy whatever is on the shelf that catches their eye.

21 minutes ago, Legend said:

Wondering what this current fixation with cranes is - just take up siding space !

They are unique items, which can be occasionally run in a train (or on many layouts likely run every day because some people will just like the look of it).

The Bachmann crane is in many respects a work of art, a good representation of a complicated prototype.  But that comes at a cost, a cost that places it out of the range of a lot of people who would like a crane (for whatever reason) but can't justify/afford that price.

So Oxford have stepped in and said here, we have a crane that is a simpler design (and thus we can assume will come in at a more affordable price) so that those who have had dreams of a crane for their layout can now achieve that.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The crane (as opposed to the breakdown crane) is quite widely used. Anything above the load of a typical yard crane would mean the larger crane would be called in.  Something like head gear, pit wheels, boilers. All of this went by crane to be unloaded at point of delivery. 

The Baccy crane is nice, but not for me. I always associate them with bad things about the Big Railway. Funny, but that's the way it is.

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The die cast in N gauge is practically non existent!!  Puts me in the 'Grumpy but not entirely unsurprised' camp...

Aye, expected really.

But with this being the Oxford 'Rail' thread I'd have thought that details (and comment) about road vehicles would be on a separate ODC 2020 'vehicles' announcement thread. Is there one? 

• Agree 2