Oxford 2020 Toy Fair announcements

AY Mod

38 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

Scot from Oxford Rail is interviewed late on in this video & say the crane is a Standard crane so it can be used for any railway Co 

But it's only supplied in three flavours; two BR, and one each LMS and LNER. :blink:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I have seen mention that Oxford are doing both jib designs, does it say anywhere which release is which so I can make sure I order the correct jib for no8

According to the Tatlow book volume 1 then the following holds true:

OR76SCS1001    Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane BR Stoke M.P.D No.RS1023/15  - CURVED JIB
OR76SCS1002    Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane LMS Wellingborough No.243 - CURVED JIB
OR76SCS2001    Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane BR Stewarts Lane DS.316 - SWAN NECKED JIB
OR76SCS2002    Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane LNER Sunderland No.901628 - SWAN NECKED JIB

No 8 had the swan necked jib so any of the latter two should suffice.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, SP Steve said:

According to the Tatlow book volume 1 then the following holds true:

OR76SCS1001    Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane BR Stoke M.P.D No.RS1023/15  - CURVED JIB
OR76SCS1002    Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane LMS Wellingborough No.243 - CURVED JIB
OR76SCS2001    Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane BR Stewarts Lane DS.316 - SWAN NECKED JIB
OR76SCS2002    Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane LNER Sunderland No.901628 - SWAN NECKED JIB

No 8 had the swan necked jib so any of the latter two should suffice.

Thanks for that confirmation, will be placing an order for one of the latter two then.  I assume they are both with no cab / no roof etc as per the photo? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Thanks for that confirmation, will be placing an order for one of the latter two then.  I assume they are both with no cab / no roof etc as per the photo? 

I would hazard a guess that they will appear in as built condition (no roof) but it will be down to Oxford to confirm their intentions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The J26 is very similar to the J27. I assume the J27 tooling has been designed to enable production of the J26 as well. Given the J26s were restricted to only one depot, Newport (Middlesbrough), I doubt they would have been offered otherwise.

The crane looks vaguely similar to the Triang "model" of the early 1960s.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

I assume that the BP tank wagon is an additional livery in the range of Oxford tank wagons that we are still waiting for?

Yup, an additional livery. Pretty prompt action from Oxford, I only asked for a BP livery on the main tank thread 2 weeks ago. :D

Anglo American and Esso next please!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The J26 is very similar to the J27. I assume the J27 tooling has been designed to enable production of the J26 as well. Given the J26s were restricted to only one depot, Newport (Middlesbrough), I doubt they would have been offered otherwise.

Are you sure?

When introduced, the J26s were mainly used on long distance goods and mineral services. After about ten years, they were displaced from these duties by newer Q6 0-8-0s, B15 4-6-0s, and B16 4-6-0s. At Grouping (1923), the largest J26 allocations were to York (11), West Hartlepool (9), Haverton Hill (7), and Newport (6). Brough Gardens, Blaydon, Tyne Dock, East Hartlepool, and Starbeck all had two J26s each; and Heaton, Percy Main, Neville Hill, Selby, Darlington, Ferryhill, and Middlesbrough all had one J26 each.

Allocations remained virtually unchanged during the 1920s. During this period, No. 379 was loaned to the GE section, along with a number of J27s. During the 1930s, Selby's allocation increased to eight. These engines worked into the South Yorkshire coal field including destinations such as Grimethorpe, and the Brackenhill Light Railway.

In a wartime attempt to concentrate locomotive classes, the J26s were re-allocated in 1943. The entire class was confined to the Tees area with allocations to Newport (39), Middlesbrough (7), and West Hartlepool (2). These allocations lasted for ten years with only minor movements to Stockton and West Auckland during the early/mid 1950s. In 1958, both the Middlesbrough and Newport sheds were closed and the remainder of the J26s were moved to the new Thornaby shed. Withdrawals started at this time and were rapid. Final work included the difficult branch to the Kilton and Lingdale ironstone mines, and the heavily graded route from West Auckland to Durham. One of the last sightings was No. 65735 working down the Wearhead branch in May 1962. Although withdrawals were rapid, on a number of occasions individual withdrawals were paused due to a lack of suitable replacements. However, the widespread introduction of Type 2 diesels marked the end of the J26s and the last J26 was withdrawn in June 1962.

From LNER Encyclopedia.

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j26.php

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
Some reason it missed half the quote out.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• Administrators

I asked about a runner for the crane and apparently they were known to use 3 and 5 plank wagons with a cradle. Oxford will be making this. They looked at specific runners and the variety is huge making potential tooling a nightmare. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

33 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Cross referencing the information in Breakdown Cranes Vol 1 also shows that LNER 901628 as supplied to the NER came with a short jib length (24' 6") where as DS 316 (ordered by the LBSCR) came with a longer jib (26') -  GWR No 8 came with the shorter jib length.

Another point to note is that both of the swan necked versions listed carried their propping girders permanently beneath the carriage where as No 8 didn't.

As to which jib length will be done is again a question for Oxford to answer (I wouldn't have thought they would cover both types).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

As built they were all but identical, just internally in the boiler, these were later standardised but all the locos had detail differences, the cab spectacle is the most obvious one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, SP Steve said:

Cross referencing the information in Breakdown Cranes Vol 1 also shows that LNER 901628 as supplied to the NER came with a short jib length (24' 6") where as DS 316 (ordered by the LBSCR) came with a longer jib (26') -  GWR No 8 came with the shorter jib length.

Another point to note is that both of the swan necked versions listed carried their propping girders permanently beneath the carriage where as No 8 didn't.

As to which jib length will be done is again a question for Oxford to answer (I wouldn't have thought they would cover both types).

Thanks again, will place my pre order for the LNER one in that case.  Along with dropping Oxford an email to clarify about the Jib length.  

(I will also be keeping an eye out for suitable unbuilt  second hand D&S kits at a sensible price sold off after the announcement...)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The crane looks vaguely similar to the Triang "model" of the early 1960s

The Triang crane was, I believe, fairly close to its prototype, its mentioned in a thread on RMweb

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/24189-rail-mounted-cranes/

The crane is towards the bottom of the page.

Detailing parts were available to make it a bit more authentic, also discussed on RMweb!

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45589-trianghornby-r127-crane-conversion/

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The 4-wheeled Tri-ang [later Hornby] one is actually quite an accurate model of a goods crane that would have moved from place to place for loading/unloading purposes. It's also a much newer design than the one Oxford are proposing, which has Victorian origins. They were probably intended for breakdown use when first built  but remained in engineers use well into BR days, across much of the country. 

No idea if it's prototypical, but I rather fancy the idea of a pair with a Pilchard sandwiched between them as a shared match wagon.....

John

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

No idea if it's prototypical, but I rather fancy the idea of a pair with a Pilchard sandwiched between them as a shared match wagon.....

Cowans Sheldon Pilchards!  So rich in Omega 3, they're good for you!  :jester:

Must say I fancy a couple myself....

• Funny 3

29 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I asked about a runner for the crane and apparently they were known to use 3 and 5 plank wagons with a cradle. Oxford will be making this. They looked at specific runners and the variety is huge making potential tooling a nightmare. 

The GWR used L5 match trucks on the broadly similar 20 tonners numbered 4 and 5, there are photos of them relatively new in service lifting bridge girders into position in Small Heath (Birmingham) in 1907. I would assume they also used L5s for the earlier 15 tonners, perhaps diagram L4; which I know Brassmasters produced a kit of. A potentially suitable alternative can be found in the Cambrian range with the 6t crane kit.

• Like 2

My first thought looking at the new releases was not much for the Southern but reflection made me revise that thought.  If the crane is at a reasonable price then I’ll definitely be getting one and those GE vans got about quite a lot.   I’ve seen several pics of examples on Southern rails so overall not bad.  Well done Oxford  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Iltman said:

My first thought looking at the new releases was not much for the Southern but reflection made me revise that thought.  If the crane is at a reasonable price then I’ll definitely be getting one and those GE vans got about quite a lot.   I’ve seen several pics of examples on Southern rails so overall not bad.  Well done Oxford  

Echo that, I'm very pleased with this announcement and the love shown to the pre-groupers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, mdvle said:

I congratulate Oxford on this.  While the differences are minor (and time will tell whether Oxford have actually designed the tooling for the J26 to also do the J27) this is the type of thing that is needed.  If one follows the poll discussions, or some models, you frequently see the complaints that while the poll has reasonably/correctly grouped certain prototypes together, they all get dropped from the poll when 1 item gets announced only for the manufacturer to never continue on and make the similar items, leaving some out of luck.

One example of this (though to be fair to Bachmann it is still earlyish) is the Class 116/117/118 that are similar, grouped in the poll together, but so far only the 117 is coming.  Which leaves those wanting the either of the other 2 stuck.

Hello mdvle

Although this is 'off topic' for the Oxford thread, I felt it appropriate to make a brief statement that The 00 Poll Team does its best to 'combine' similar items where we believe it would be reasonable for a maker to produce variants. Although Class 116 was announced (Kernow), that didn't happen - so it was back in The Poll for 2019. One of the Railbuses failed to appear, so that was re-listed. The D16/3 Claud Hamilton with Decorative Valance was listed separately as we felt the tooling was significantly different. Same goes for B16s.

There are other examples but this should suffice for now. If there are questions, we can take them up on our thread: Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, caradoc said:

That was just the ones used in Cornwall (Poldark territory !). Anyway, living as I do in Scotland, a Pilchard is infinitely preferable to a Sturgeon.......

I shall report you for being politically incorrect :biggrin_mini::bomb_mini::diablo_mini:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Cranes seem to be the flavour of the month - Oxford Rail's gone for a design with wider appeal than Bachmann's rendition and at a lower price point as well.

It's interesting that they've announced the first J26 releases in post-1946 LNER numbering and BR liveries. Maybe it's because of the combination of details they've tooled up for their first releases. Perhaps they'll release NER and earlier LNER versions in due course.

On the other hand the big thing for me this year are the GER vans and I'll buy one each in GER and LNER liveries.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1