Heljan Collett goods

Stringfingerling

I was quite excited to see that there is a 7-mm scale Collett goods in the pipeline from Heljan. Does anyone share my trepidation about the working inside motion they have promised ? I can't help wondering if it's a good idea to incorporate a feature that may not help with long-term reliability in a model that is relatively inexpensive.

Edited by Stringfingerling
gramnar

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stringfingerling said:

I can't help wondering if it's a good idea to incorporate a feature that may not help with long-term reliability in a model that is relatively inexpensive.

Dapol 57xx already has this.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Dapol 57xx already has this.

I didn't know that. That's interesting. I'm sure if inside motion is done well it could last a very long time but it concerned me that if it wasn't a top quality job it might involve weakening the driving axles and possibly compromising the alignment and true running of the wheels. I haven't got any direct experience of Heljan products so I'm not criticising their standards.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Stringfingerling said:

but it concerned me that if it wasn't a top quality job it might involve weakening the driving axles and possibly compromising the alignment and true running of the wheels. 

I doubt whether it will be a true inside crank axle, more likely a series of eccentrics which slide into place over the axle, and give the impression of everything wobbling around nicely.

If they do opt for a proper crank axle then it will be built in the same way that the live steam brigade build theirs in 7 mm scale, and they are very sturdy, as they have to transmit the force of the cylinders to the track and not just waggle back and forth for the ride.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Stringfingerling said:

I'm not familiar with these so please would you enlarge on your comment. Is it a question of poor realism or poor durability?

Durability, check the thread on these, various reports of valve gear jamming/disintegrating

(including a couple at my club)

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Stringfingerling said:

I'm not familiar with these so please would you enlarge on your comment. Is it a question of poor realism or poor durability?

Not sure if you've found the specific manufacturers area of rmweb but generally there is a thread for each loco there where these things get well documented. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/2-products-trade-area/

Edited by Hal Nail