Shrink-wrap for decoders

15 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Surely if you shrink wrap them then the heat can't escape?

The ends will remain open and so some airflow can occur. The same applies to receivers for radio control. Helps keep wires from detaching and anything coming into contact with the board which could cause a short. If clear is used then you can still see the led's flashing.

9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Shrink wrap is not used for the decoders! It is invaluable for protecting bare wires when installing decoders without plugs! 

Some confusion in terminology here, possibly - it sounds like you mean "heat shrink sleeving" ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q="heat+shrink+sleeving"&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUtI2G3JbnAhXUSsAKHX0HDHoQ_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=1313&bih=898

Good to know, unfortunately the Lidl shop here is just at the planning stage so far...

For info, "Shrink wrap" is a very different thing.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1313&bih=898&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=XP4nXo_FB8-R8gLmsJGQDg&q=shrink+wrap&oq=shrink+wrap&gs_l=img.3..0i67l4j0l6.22877.27439..28073...2.0..0.84.880.14......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i30j0i24j0i8i30j0i10i24.lWY5K9eu8KE&ved=0ahUKEwiP4-SH3JbnAhXPiFwKHWZYBOIQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

Edited by RobjUK
  • Like 1

For years I have used simple heat shrink sleeving warmed at the ends just to shrink it enough to keep it from falling off. I have never had  decoder overheat to the point of destruction but I have had them get hot enough to self shrink the sleeves.

The safest way is to leave them unclothed with insulation applied to any metal parts they could come in contact with. Some of the sound decoders need to shed heat from the choo-choo noise amplifier chip.

• Agree 2

On 22/01/2020 at 16:55, melmerby said:

Some manufacturers tell you not to shrink wrap decoders, some decoders come already shrink wrapped, however Hornby gives you the choice and supply a piece with theirs!

Hornby did supply a bit of sleeving with some DCC ready locos but current recommendation for TTS decoders is a single layer of ‘sellotape’ type insulation to allow heat dissipation, mainly from the sound amp chip. I avoid any sticky tape direct onto a decoder as I don’t know the conductive effects of the gluey stuff.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Hornby did supply a bit of sleeving with some DCC ready locos but current recommendation for TTS decoders is a single layer of ‘sellotape’ type insulation to allow heat dissipation, mainly from the sound amp chip. I avoid any sticky tape direct onto a decoder as I don’t know the conductive effects of the gluey stuff.

Lenz supply a 3M double sided sticky pad.